GM Volt Forum banner

Brand New 2016 Volt, plenty of issues

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Madvolt16 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 Chevy Volt (1/9). It's been 2 weeks since I have purchased it and it has been in the shop most of these weeks. The first day I purchased it, Onstar reported an issue with it. Since then, there has been 2 check engine lights, 3 error codes, and 3 replaced parts, one major part being the hybrid battery system. I have been keeping written track/documenting these issues through the service department and personal notes.

OnStar reported on 1/9:
Battery cooling system srvc 1 day - p16b7
Vehicle communication srvc 7 day - u0160
Electric system srvc 1 day - p1e00

I attempted to resolve the matter with the dealership I purchased from; however, they did not handle my situation to my satisfaction. I have created a case through phone with Chevy/GM. They are aware that my vehicle has multiple issues and that I desire a buyback request - I am also looking for a vehicle replacement or something that will restore confidence in the vehicle I purchased as well as compensation for the troubles I've gone through.

From my understanding of the California Lemon Law, my vehicle has not met the Lemon law requirement; however, it seems that I was sold a brand new vehicle that had immediate issues at purchase and that were failed to be detected by the selling dealership.

I am waiting on GM's answer through phone support. I am planning on submitting a formal letter to GM as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
With all the issues we are starting to see with dead volts, I'm beginning to wonder if GM screwed up by releasing to the carb states early. It seems that there are more gremlins than the first time around. Sorry you are going through this, but that's what the bumper to bumper warranty is for. They have to be given a chance to fix it. It will be tough for you to get compensated for lost time and dissatisfaction and you are likely going to need to ride out the lemon law rules to get GM to buy the car back or swap in a new car.

#3 · (Edited)
Your car must have been on the assembly line when all the workers came back from a union meeting.

Keep track of your issues and when you have enough get it swapped out for a new - better unit- at GM's expense.
Let GM take the car back and let them see in what areas they need to focus improving quality.

One time I dared posting that all new model owners are beta testers ( this is true for just about any new product or or new model release). I got flamed for it... Stating how dare I say the buyer is a beta tester, when they paid $40K for their new car.
Sorry folks, I know this is not what you want to hear.
Year 1 beta test.
year two the most of the bugs are worked out.
Year 3 is fantastic.
year four people itching to get into the brand new next gen lineup.
and the cycle starts again.

PS: GM if you are reading this, I already pulled the onstar fuse -no satelite communication with my car or shutting my car down 20 miles outside the town where there is no cell phone coverage.
Also and have my foil hat on.

pick your favorite image:

PS: to the O.P - on the serious note sorry about your troubles.

#4 ·
One time I dared posting that all new model owners are beta testers ( this is true for just about any new product or or new model release). I got flamed for it... Stating how dare I say the buyer is a beta tester, when they paid $40K for their new car.
Also and have my foil hat on.
PS: to the O.P - on the serious note sorry about your troubles.
I can confirm this is the case with new RV's and utility trucks/buses. I transported these vehicles for 3 years and there were plenty of electronic component failure/trouble codes within the first 1000 miles. My worst day was two deluxe diesel coaches 450 & 500hp units retail value 450k & 500k that had electronic component failures within 21 miles of the pickup. Both destinations were Ontario a sweet delivery for me, but I went in the red that day, no compensation for lost time or 210 mile round trip commute to the dispatch yard! It got so bad I stopped picking up Spartan chassis diesels because I had 5 breakdowns in 2 months! With new buses and utility trucks I would just deliver them with a check engine light which fortunately didn't happen too often.

Regarding the foil hats, haha very funny, but foil hats wont prevent influences by implants, you got to wonder!?

#5 · (Edited)
I hope this isn't considered flaming, but you can't reliably conclude anything about problem frequency from forum posts. I agree it does seem like there are a quite a few drivetrain problems being reported.

Unfortunately we won't really know how common this problem is until we get survey data. It would help if we could get more 2015 and 2016 owners to sign up for TrueDelta. It's free, quite professionally done and superior in many ways to Consumer Reports.

Text Font Green Blue Line

None of that diminishes MadVolt's troubles which I sympathize with.

#6 ·
One thing is for sure, requesting a buy back will only SLOW DOWN the process, not speed it up. At that point they don't have much incentive to fix your car for you.

If it doesn't even qualify for lemon law buyback, it seems like the request was done too early and perhaps unwarranted, regardless of the frustration of having this happen with a new vehicle.

#9 ·
Please explain your comment that asking for a buyback is a bad idea

Your comment that asking for a buyback disadvantages someone is troubling. I bought my car on Jan. 9 and it has been in the shop since Jan. 11 after CEL came on and it would only burn gas, at a high rev, not use battery power at all despite a full charge. Detroit has sent a team of engineers to the dealership twice now, with no resolution in sight. I called the Ohio Attorney General today and they encouraged me to ask GM for a buyback. No it doesn't fit the letter of the lemon law, which is written to cover bad luck over the period of a YEAR of ownership----but to be out of commission for 15 of the first 17 days I owned it, with no relief in sight? I sent my request for a buy back via certified mail today. I told them I will never feel safe or confident driving a car that its own manufacturer can't diagnose or repair.

#10 ·
Your comment that asking for a buyback disadvantages someone is troubling. I bought my car on Jan. 9 and it has been in the shop since Jan. 11 after CEL came on and it would only burn gas, at a high rev, not use battery power at all despite a full charge. Detroit has sent a team of engineers to the dealership twice now, with no resolution in sight. I called the Ohio Attorney General today and they encouraged me to ask GM for a buyback. No it doesn't fit the letter of the lemon law, which is written to cover bad luck over the period of a YEAR of ownership----but to be out of commission for 15 of the first 17 days I owned it, with no relief in sight? I sent my request for a buy back via certified mail today. I told them I will never feel safe or confident driving a car that its own manufacturer can't diagnose or repair.
You buy a new car, you expect a new car. I understand there is a chance for trouble with a new car but not like this, especially when it could have came this way from the factory. Nonetheless, I am giving GM a chance to fix it; they are fixed it once and found a new issue so fingers crossed.

Even though I would like the option for a new car or return, GM is not making it easy (avoiding my questions and the situation completely) and insistent on me believing in a product that already has many issues.

Thanks for the input and good luck to those in my boat.

#11 ·
Got my car back last week. It's been running fine "so far". Only issue was minor interior scratches and chips during service. Had the service department order parts to take care of it. GM still taking their time in getting back to me on my situation. Go figure.

#13 ·
This reminds me of the time I was having trouble with a new laptop computer. I returned it and got a replacement, did this about 3 times. Each time there was something different that failed. Finally I called the US Vice President of the company and complained. He said there was not much he could do, just take it back again and get a replacement. After about the 7th time of doing this, and by now his secretary recognized my voice when I called, I tried a different approach. I wrote a letter to HIS boss, CEO of the worldwide company (not in the US). I detailed all 7 of the laptops and what was wrong with each one. After about a month I hadn't heard anything when all of a sudden I get a call from mr. VP, "what can we possibly do to keep you as a customer"! Turns out the CEO had sent a copy of my letter to each employee of the factory where the laptop was made (and, I presume cc'd the VP). Sometimes it pays to go right to the top!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.