GM Volt Forum banner

Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  noah82 
#1 ·
I just bought and installed a Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE for my 2nd gen Volt. The EVSE is incredibly small and I love the statistics that you can view in the Chargepoint app (Total KWH, Miles added, cost based on utility).

My question to you is that since the Chargepoint supports time based charging scheduling, is there any disadvantage to just turning off location based charging in the Volt and just using the Chargepoint timer?

I'm also attaching pictures of the wall unit and the app. Please disregard the horrible drywall patching job behind it, I need to redo it.

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device
Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel
Product Text Line Font Technology

See less See more
#3 ·
I just bought and installed a Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE for my 2nd gen Volt. The EVSE is incredibly small and I love the statistics that you can view in the Chargepoint app (Total KWH, Miles added, cost based on utility).

My question to you is that since the Chargepoint supports time based charging scheduling, is there any disadvantage to just turning off location based charging in the Volt and just using the Chargepoint timer?

I'm also attaching pictures of the wall unit and the app. Please disregard the horrible drywall patching job behind it, I need to redo it.

View attachment 95793 View attachment 95801 View attachment 95809
14 miles for $1.08? Yikes! That's some expensive electricity!

#7 ·
ChargePoint is very conservative in estimating "miles added". It simply uses EPA MPG numbers. Seasoned EV drivers can exceed those numbers by a large margin.

Having said that, our electricity cost isn't cheap, but there are ways around that too. Not sure the OP's electricity rate is actual or another calculation.

#4 · (Edited)
I thought that location-based charging was there to avoid having to set the car to 12-amp. Since this is 220v, it won't matter.

Drywall schmywall. Better than mine. Bare studs.

#6 ·
I thought that location-based charging was there to avoid having to set the car to 12-amp. Since this is 220v, it won't matter.
I think that he meant to say "delayed time charging" because your right about the 12 amp setting.

@Noah - nice charger. I see no reason to use delayed in charging in car, but I don't know your charger but you might want to consider these two items.

If the power goes out often in SD then you might want to research how the charger deals with that. Do you have to reset something on the charger or does the app handle it. if it is wi-fi based then does you router go down often, then you may want to consider that. With the car, you set and forget about. Just a thought. Enjoy your new ride and charging stats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.