GM Volt Forum banner

Check Engine Lamp DTC P059F (Active Grill Shutter fault)TSB# 16-NA-203

126K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  Sdeck 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
CEL came on. Onstar tells me it's code P059F, Active Grill Shutter.
Anyone else experience this on a GM car?

I have an appointment for Wednesday, but kind of annoying...

#2 ·
Gen 1's don't have an active grill shutter. You are the first to post this particular issue AFAIK. You win! :)

Please update us after they have corrected the issue.

#10 ·
If the shutters were to get stuck being closed, THAT is a definite engine issue, as it could potentially overheat. That's probably why it triggers the engine MIL.

#6 ·
The emission dyno load setting is based on the total drag curve of the vehicle between 0 and 80 MPH. If a device modifies the drag it is an emission control device by definition. If such a device is activated electronically then it has to have diagnostics to determine if it is operating correctly, thus the CEL code. Did the light come on after a snow storm? If it did then there may have been ice obstructing it. When the ice melted the system operated correctly and 4 key cycles later the CEL should go out.

#12 · (Edited)
Just got this CEL today - as per Onstar. Boy what a nuisance. Is this going to happen everytime it snows? Light dumping overnight to morning that probably contributed to this.

Car can be driven no problem.

Off to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. Probably justs needs a reset.

Another owner posted about this code in the Chevy Volt Owners facebook group.

#15 · (Edited)
Check Engine: P059F (Active Grill Shutter).:mad:

Got it yesterday, I guess the car did not like the 3cm of rain (+5C) followed by a -12C yesterday. Called OnStar and they said it was an engine cooling problem, but it was not critical. I asked for the code (P059F). She also told me that we should go to the Dealers in the next few days if the light does not go away.

Got my Bluetooth ODB2 adapter and checked with Torque Pro, got the same code, saved the code and cleared it myself.

#16 ·
Maybe i should try clearing it myself?

Does anybody know if Torque Lite (free) can clear codes or do I have to pick up the paid version?

#19 ·
Got my car back from the p040b and p041b (yay) but p059f came after the second stop. It's cold outside and it kind of rained ice earlier today (dealership left my car outside unplugged).

#20 ·
Got this code a couple of days ago and has not gone away. just about to book car into dealership for a service .... also need them to check why my remote start has also stopped working from both the app and also the key fob the last couple of days (just when I actually needed it). Will also be asking them to check any outstanding TSBs like the chuggling and axle creak stuff ....

#23 ·
Went to the dealership. They tested the shutters (I saw it moving) at different levels. Everything seemed fine. They cleared the code and washed away the dirt that could have caused trouble (it should not since it's in the front of the car, exposed to a bunch of dirt). Went home. Got back in the car later. CEL. Damn. Called OnStar. P059F. Dealership visit again next week ! 😩

#24 ·
Ok, so dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday to get the P059F code (and a few other niggles) looked at and it turns out to have a low tech solution to a problem which might explain why many users in northern regions are experiencing it.

The tech phoned me in the afternoon to explain that the code was thrown because the active grill shutters were not moving when they were supposed to. He had checked them and found that the mechanism that physically moves the shutters had ice on it which had not melted because our temperature has not gone above freezing for a while. The solution - use hot water to melt the ice.

Unfortunately I have no idea where the mechanism is as they told me this over the phone and the tech was not around when I picked up the car, but maybe it will save someone else a trip to the dealership ....

After driving a different car yesterday, I was so happy to get back in my Volt !! Enterprise has an office right inside the dealership so they send you over there. They offered me a Sonic (which I refused) then offered a Buick Verano which I reluctantly took. bad move. hated it. went from my Volt with all its safety features, low noise, nice screens and infotainment to a POS hunk of junk that didnt even have bluetooth and had screens that looked like they came out of the 80s !!!! Good job it was just one day and getting me from A-B and back to A !!!

#25 ·
Ok, so dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday to get the P059F code (and a few other niggles) looked at and it turns out to have a low tech solution to a problem which might explain why many users in northern regions are experiencing it.... He had checked them and found that the mechanism that physically moves the shutters had ice on it which had not melted because our temperature has not gone above freezing for a while. The solution - use hot water to melt the ice....
This is a defect. Obviously this element was not well tested if it's happening this easily for end users.

Best,
Rick

#30 ·
I just went out of the dealership. They told me that they ordered a part (i have to go back next thursday). Hopefolly GM has revised the sutters to make them more resillient to ice/snow. We'll see.

#32 ·
Volt advisor has emailed me back and forwarded our concerns to the GM engineering team. I shared this thread and also mentioned the similar complaints regarding P059F that surfaced on the Chevy Volt Owners facebook group.

I share the same sentiment. I hope that in the end, they can revise this mechanism/part sometime down the road.

#33 · (Edited)
#34 ·
They are closed... the shutters are closed.

The engine ran today a few times and it smelled 'heat'. I examined the shutters at home and they are closed. As far as I know, they should be open at low speed, closed at high speed. I did not stop the car at highway speed to leave it in my driveway... Another visit to the dealership next week. Tomorrow it's supposed to be a bit warmer (2 Celcius). I'm gonna wash the front end and see if something is stopping the sutters. Obviously something is broken since it should throw a CEL if they are not able to move... I suddenly miss my trouble free 2012...

#35 ·
They are closed... the shutters are closed.

The engine ran today a few times and it smelled 'heat'. I examined the shutters at home and they are closed. As far as I know, they should be open at low speed, closed at high speed.
It seems more likely to me that they would be opened and closed in response to coolant temperatures rather than being speed-controlled.

#37 ·
You're right.

The 2016 LT of a friend has them closed also. It also confirms that the LT do have the shutters (don'T know if it was confirmed by somebody else before).

No CEL yet, so it must be normal for them to be closed in the below 0C tempratures, while using the battery and a bit of the ICE. I will try to see at what tempratures they finally open this spring.

#40 ·
Given that you'd only need to open the shutters in order to provide more cooling it sure seems to me that it ought to be governed by coolant temperature. Otherwise you might get into some situations where the ambient temperature is low but you're still not getting adequate cooling due to load or speed factors.

#42 ·
FYI service bulletin #16-NA-203 has been released to help Volt technicians diagnose a potential issue with the active shutter system and the potential for a Check Engine Lamp and DTC P059F being set and caused by a harness chaffing near the shutter actuator connector.

A basic wiring repair will typically be all that is required.
WOT

#43 ·
I just got this today. It's 90 degrees and humid and I did a 1.5 mile trip. Did my stuff, hopped in the car and about 1/4 later the CEL came on. Called OnStar and they gave me P059f and said it was a problem with the engine cooling system. They didn't mention the shutter, although not certain they would know it.

I checked the coolant temperature and it was only 104 degrees.

Called the dealership. they have no appointments available until Tuesday and claimed they had no loaners.

Am I really stuck at home until Tuesday?

Thanks,
Rick

#44 ·
I checked the shutters and they look open (I can see the radiator grill).

Is it possible my Voltscreen is blocking air (sorry, Scarlett- I need to ask), or is it possibly a true issue with the cooling system.

Thanks,
Rick

#46 ·
WOT,

As always, thanks so much for your words of expertise and assurance.

After a couple of starts and a trip into town, the CEL cleared. Nonetheless, I will be bringing it in on Tuesday for the TSB fix.

I'll be certain to provide them with the TSB number and also ask about any others that need to be done.

Thanks,
Rick

#47 ·
Went to the dealership today about the CEL. Since it cleared by iteslf, they only cleared the code. I brought up TSB 16-NA-203 and they did not acknowledge it. Said it could have been a bug that got caught in the mechanism. I pointed out the VoltScreen and they said, well it could have been that restricting airflow....

Here's their summary:

"Customer states that the CEL went on. Pulled P059F from OnStar.
Active Grill Air Shutter operation found DTC stored and not
active.
System cleared itself and is operating as designed at this time..."

#50 ·
It's my pleasure (not) to keep this thread alive.

CEL became lit, a few days ago. Temperatures have dropped around here - a late start on the winter - and we've had a little snow and temperatures in the 20's F overnight and in early mornings.

Local Chevrolet service center reports they've seen more than a half dozen Gen2 Volts, recently, with this same problem. Active shutter replacement parts are on order, from Reno, NV. Snow and holiday shipping season are expected to delay arrival but the service tech was able to get the CEL turned off and I'll be interested to see if it lights up again, before the parts arrive.

I don't know if there's any way to tell whether the replacement parts will include some improvement over the originals. I mean to say, I hope this won't be a regular occurrence. Winters here are usually rainy, not snow and icy, and I don't care to risk active shutter problems whenever I go to snow country.

If I get any more information, I'll post it here. Suffice to say that the 2017 Volt I purchased April 2016 has the active shutter problem.

#52 ·
Were you driving in snow & ice? Could be just that the shutters are covered in ice and can't move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.