GM Volt Forum banner

Burning smell after drive with ICE run TSB# 16-NA-127 (install carbon cabin filter)

56K views 52 replies 40 participants last post by  TSquare 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please help the first time Volt owner here. The first day I picked up my car, I noticed this burning smell coming under the hood after I used up my electric range and drove about 20 miles with gas. Today I smell it again after about 15 miles drive with gas. My wife sitting on passenger seat smell it too. I managed to open the hood and it appears the smell came from the engine where it says "Voltec". Is that normal with Volt, or should I have the dealer to check it out?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I drove my car from Montreal when I bought it back in January and I was expecting a little smell but didn't detect much on the highway. I had assumed that trip broke in the system. Later that night I wanted to show off the car and had not charged it yet. I used mountain mode to build up a charge and I got a burning smell so strong I thought the car was on fire.

I found people commenting here on #PIC6142 but the strong smell had not been back as bad so I wasn't in a rush to visit the local dealer. I had the car in for a another issue last week and asked the dealer to see if PIC6142 could have been an issue on my car. They verified that there was no problem with the foam. They said it looked like the sticker that is placed on the catalytic converter was probably the cause. I'm guessing the airflow on the highway kept the outside cool enough but being parked with the engine running hard to charge the battery and heat the cabin (it was -15C) probably heated the exhaust system up to really cook the sticker. Unfortunately they didn't show me any photos of the sticker in question.

#31 ·
I have about 3000 miles on my 2016 Volt and about half those miles were using the ICE. I noticed the smell strongly at first; had the dealer check it, said it was the usual burn-off. It gradually went away, so my concerns eased. A couple of days ago the temperature dropped a bit (into the 30's) and after a fairly hard freeway drive the smell came back. For me, two observations: 1) The ICE needs to be run hard (70 mph and above) for a while to create the smell, and 2) It appears more strongly in colder weather. One uncomfortable fact is that the smell resembles hot radiator coolant (as if it were leaking), but I have no visible leaks, drips, steam or otherwise. I'll continue to observe...

#32 ·
Many times the cause of this is because you drive around on battery most of the time. Dirt, oil, grime, salt, water, and what ever else is on the roads gets thrown up onto the exhaust pipes. Then when your ICE starts, the exhaust heats up and burns that stuff off giving you a new odor.

#36 ·
Mine took a few months to totally clear up. But it's pretty much gone now. (I use the ICE about once a week.)

Or maybe my nose has just gotten used to it!

#37 ·
(I use the ICE about once a week.)
Mine is 4 weeks old and I too use ICE once a week, for a 98miles round trip mostly highway speeds of 70mph. When I am on the offramp exiting the freeway and usually stopped at the first light, I get the strong smell. Happened on all 4 trips so far. My ICE miles is 292, of the total 1,237miles. So maybe I need more ICE miles to "burn off" that burn smell :)

#38 ·
GM has recently released a bulletin #16-NA-127 specififc to the Gen2 Volt, recognizing numerous complaints of "an engine odor and/or burning smell within cabin" . While they contend that the odor is simply from the exhaust and heat shields they are recommending dealers install a revised cabin filter PN#13356914 which includes an active charcoal section designed to minimize odors as they pass through the filter.

Just an FYI ;)
WOT

#39 · (Edited)
My 2012 did this for a while when I bought it used with less than 1k ICE miles (9k total), doesn't do it since I run the engine regularly, and ERDTT might not run the engine long enough nor hot enough to burn the crud off (actually might cause build up since I think it runs fairly rich in that mode). Either a highway trip, or charge the battery in Mountain Mode occasionally to make sure it gets to full temperature. Around town on engine might not get it warm enough as the engine doesn't work very hard (this is why I just don't charge one day a couple times in winter and run it on mountain mode for 10 minutes or so, I get nice hot heat, and get the engine nice and warm).

#41 · (Edited)
After more than 2,500 miles on gas, I still have the burning/smoldering odor fairly strong. Strong enough that my wife thought something in the car was burning... I'll have to investigate the carbon filter. I do find it rather amusing, though, that GM elected to fix the symptom and not the cause... Bad form, GM!

#43 ·
It should be noted that bulletin 16-NA-127 (temporarily installing active carbon impregnated HVAC cabin filter to reduce
NORMAL burn-off smell) has recently been revised to inform dealers that IF the replacement HVAC inlet air filter was replaced with the "active carbon" version it MAY create a negative effect on heating/cooling performance or even windshield fogging.

16-NA-127 said:
Important: Installing the carbon filter may reduce the HVAC performance such as not getting warm or cool quick enough, or the side windows may fog up in certain conditions. Adjusting the temperature settings including fan speed may help these conditions.

If the customer experiences these conditions when the carbon filter is installed they can bring the vehicle back to remove the carbon filter and to have a new catalytic converter heat shields installed when they become available in several months.
HTH
WOT

#48 ·
It should be noted that bulletin 16-NA-127 (temporarily installing active carbon impregnated HVAC cabin filter to reduce
NORMAL burn-off smell) has recently been revised to inform dealers that IF the replacement HVAC inlet air filter was replaced with the "active carbon" version it MAY create a negative effect on heating/cooling performance or even windshield fogging.

16-NA-127 said:
Important: Installing the carbon filter may reduce the HVAC performance such as not getting warm or cool quick enough, or the side windows may fog up in certain conditions. Adjusting the temperature settings including fan speed may help these conditions.

If the customer experiences these conditions when the carbon filter is installed they can bring the vehicle back to remove the carbon filter and to have a new catalytic converter heat shields installed when they become available in several months.
HTH
WOT
Recently took a 400+ mile round trip and noticed a burning paper sort of smell when pulling into a rest stop. I've done a few similar trips over the last year (got my Gen2 June 2016) and recall sine odor initially when on ICE -- but this seemed like more? Went away after some EV driving.

Wondering about the "new catalytic converter heat shields installed when they become available in several months" comment you shared in your post...? Makes me feel like we're smelling more than new part coatings, road grime, etc., burning off?

Thoughts anyone?

#45 ·
In the last month, our almost one year old 2017 Volt with 12,000 miles ( probably around 1,500 on gas) started smelling like burnt rubber after the ICE had been running for a while.

Today I was at the dealer to get the Engine light O2 sensor recall done (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-P2097-Bulletin-PIP5410&p=3909617#post3909617), and they found a Oil pan leak.
They resealed it and hopefully all will be good.
I do find it strange as the odor we got was not burnt oil, but really burnt rubber, but we will see :)

#46 ·
Welp, let me throw my hat in the ring. 2017 Premier with 2,500 miles; about half on EV. Drove though a snow storm ~70 MPH, all ICE, and heat cranked. As I slowed exiting the freeway a very strong burning smell overtook the cabin. At first I thought it was a semi truck in front of me, but the smell just kept getting stronger and stronger as I drove home. It became so strong at one point I pulled over and popped the hood, but could see no visible smoke or defects.

I've experienced normal ICE break in smell, and this was definitely NOT that. It smelled strongly of burning coolant or rubber, I'm guessing coolant.

This was a first for me, so I'll keep an eye on the car and report back if it happens again, but this can't be normal or healthy to breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#47 ·
I had this issue, drank the fanboy koolaid saying "it's normal" but got sick of that excuse after a few thousand miles of ICE driving and still smelling that burning wood smell. Took it in and they band-aided it with a new cabin filter. I can still smell it outside the car when the genset is running but the filter seems to do the job for keeping it out of the cabin.

#49 · (Edited)
Recently took a 2200 mile road trip burning gas in my 2017 that now has over 8000 miles on it. Don't remember when the smell went away, but apparently it did. My wife was very sensitive to it when new. Made her nauseous. Initial impressions are important; she still doesn't like the car. It's now "my" car, not "our" car. Hope that changes. She still clings to her 2008 Malibu LTZ with 116,000 miles on it; won't give it up. One thing has helped: living in a rural area and frequently taking trips that are 70 - 100 miles round trip, I often run the gas engine. That too has helped.

#50 ·
Initial impressions are important; she still doesn't like the car. It's now "my" car, not "our" car. Hope that changes.
Be careful what you wish for. Many forum members have lost their Volt to their spouse. Once the wife drives "your" Volt a few times, it suddenly becomes "her" Volt. :eek:

#52 · (Edited)
I have noticed that. I think its just part of regular break in.. That's not a lot of ICE run time. Make sure when it comes on during cold mornings it fully warms up. Speaking from a "bought Gen 2 2018 in cold winter in Janurary" point of reference. It may be different if you live in the south and do not experience winter. But the smell is not as common for me now after 6500km when finished a commute and putting in garage. So I assume its break in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.