GM Volt Forum banner

Should you buy a used Volt?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ciscovet 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Great article. Thanks.

#6 ·
Good article, and one I must have missed before. Good summary of the changes over the model years.

There are used Volts popping up at area dealers almost weekly. Many of them are 2012's or 2013's, in the 15k-18k range, depending on mileage, etc. I am hoping come spring, that I will have the means, motive, and opportunity to claim one of them as my own! Actually, I guess the motive and opportunity are assured...it's just the means that's still in question!

#9 ·
A good comparison of the various model years.

I spotted one error: there was no heated steering wheel offered in any Gen 1.

Also, in the latter part of the model year the next model year battery capacity would be installed. As an example, my car, a 2014 was manufactured in May 2014 and has the 17.1 kWh battery of the 2015. 8^))

#10 ·
A good comparison of the various model years.

I spotted one error: there was no heated steering wheel offered in any Gen 1.
Yes but now that begs the question, my old cobalt has a leather wrapped steering wheel with different buttons on it than stock, I just swapped a corvette steering wheel in, so can a gen II steering wheel be installed to a gen I?

Would be interesting to see if the mount was the same.

#11 ·
I kept trying to score a great new deal, and justify it. In the end, the fact that there is no tax on private party sales in my state, plus there are no state tax credits for new, made it quite easy. If I could have stacked the maximum discounts, private offers, Costco rebates, etc. on a 2016 AND my state had additional significant rebates, like California, Colorado, and Texas do, the the decision would have been tougher. That's because the 2016 electric miles are so much better, the ICE engine is better and the hybrid mode are also. And, IMHO, the styling is also better.

Let's face it - our total lifetime costs will always be way lower if we bought an old econobox, but there are a multitude of reasons why we don't. It's a matter of matching your economics with the overall satisfaction your car gives you. Mine scores on that front, and this is from a former sports car enthusiast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.