GM Volt Forum banner

Differences Between the Ford C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi Plug-In

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  saghost 
#1 ·
Interesting article on the SAE home page discussing the difference in electronics between the hybrid and plug-in versions of the C-Max.

"Turning a hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) into a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) is more than adding cells to a battery pack, reflashing the controller, and installing a charger. The 2013 Ford C-Max and C-Max Energi are examples of what it takes to develop conventional hybrid and plug-in versions of the same vehicle—that is, many specific parts, software, and validation."

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/11705

#2 ·
Here's what I got out of it:
Battery in cabin, air cooled by cabin air (like a lot of older hybrids)
No electric heat.

Even SAE doesn't understand ERDTLT on the Volt (article implies it exists to warm the battery.)

Ford cools the battery due charging with ambient outside air (not cabin air?? Some sort of valve arrangement?) Charging in the middle of the day the the southwest may be problematic...

Fords says that high cabin temps at rest aren't an issue, and the battery cools quickly once you start the car. (good insulation & dedicated A/C duct? More tolerant chemistry? Huge A/C system? Similar spin to Nissan's "we did extensive desert testing?")

Hopefully Ford is using a more tolerant chemistry, but after reading this article, I think I'd be nervous buying one the first couple years if I lived somewhere hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.