New 2015 Volt Owner - Need advice on 'must-have' software updates
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2015 Volt Owner - Need advice on 'must-have' software updates

Default New 2015 Volt Owner - Need advice on 'must-have' software updates

I bought my 2015 Volt a few months ago and love the car overall, but I am curious about what 'must-have' sofware fixes will improve my ownership experience. I've gotten off to a very, very bad start with my dealer here in St. Petersburg, Florida. During the sales-cycle, I asked about software updates and was told, "Of course. They are free of charge. Just bring the car into Service and we'll get them done."

When I brought the car into the Service Department, and after keeping the car for three days, I picked it up with not a single software update done because I, as the Volt Advisor put it, "didn't complain about anything specific." So, they they didn't fix anything, or if I had a specific complaint they, of course, couldn't replicate the problem. The Volt Advisor seems lazy and could care less.

So, I'd like to know from other 2015 Volt owners what key software update fixes I need to get and what specificcally I need to complain about to get it.

There are some real (but livable) oddities that I will complain about next time: little things like, if I place my cell phone, or even the slightest bit of weight, on the passenger seat, I'll be driving down the road and suddenly get a seat-belt chime.

The radio can never seem to read my 64GB iPhone 6 -- and if it does -- it never loads all of my playlists. I have no clue what the 'Text Messages' thing does -- even when my phone is connected via cable and Bluetooth, it is never enabled.

More importantly, I am wondering though, if there are crucial electrical/drive train updates that I am missing out on. For example, the gas engine rides **crazy rough** between 0 - 40mph, lots of noise and 'spinning up', lots of vibration, so much so that I loathe non-highway driving using the gas engine, because it seems so excessive. According to the dealer -- this is all perfectly normal.

Any help 2015 Volt onwers can provide is truly appreciated.

PS: I know (now) that it's unrealistic to ask the dealer for 'all updates' -- so I don't need the same lecture I got from my dealer, that updates can break more than they fix. But, as a software engineer, I also know that software never gets released without bugs -- and I need to know from other owners what I should be asking for, or at least investigating.

All the crucial updates added to pre 2015s are already in your 2015. Examples are the shutoff after 2 hours if left on and the triple horn honk.
    Any other updates would require a check engine light diagnosis.
    Some of the phone problems will require you to search previous posts. Some errors are the result of software updates to the phones and probably won't get an update for the car.
    I find my 2015 engine to be pretty quiet. Try to find another Volt and ask the owner to lift the hood (when the car is on, opening the hood will start the engine). Compare the sound.
    Anything seriously wrong with the engine would set a check engine light.
    2013 Volt base Blue Topaz Metallic, leased February 2013, 30000 miles at turn-in. Zero problems!
    2015 Volt base Black, since November 2014, 36000 miles
    2017 Volt LT Kinetic Blue Metallic since March 2016.

If I were you, I would go to my service department and ask them to search, in-putting my VIN into their computer system, whether or not there are GM recommended updates for my vehicle. Then, if the answer is no, I would leave and be satisfied that I have the best software package operating my vehicle.

The passenger seat sensor is sensitive and will cause a chime if there is weight on the seat. This is normal.

Search the forum for iPhone problems. I can't offer other advice as I have an Android phone.

"crazy rough" running of the ICE is probably normal. Because ICE rpm does not strictly follow vehicle speed, the ICE rpm can be more noticeable to a driver used to driving the old-style, gas-guzzling ICE vehicle.

Be happy with your choice. Over time you will become amazed at how wonderful your Volt is, compared to what you used to drive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Funny you post this as I had the same questions but took the dive and got an appointment.

I told them my radio suddenly just pauses the music (and it does). Also sometimes it stops responding to steering wheel commands and suddenly disconnects, only to reconnect, and cycle like this.

When the music pauses, i ask Siri to play all songs shuffled, she complies, then it starts playing. Iphone 6 64gigs.

To be quite honest with you I am not sure it is the car but rather ios9. Yes I have the lastest updates. No difference.

I asked him if he can check for other updates, and he seemed very happy to do so, so I will keep you updated. SO far I haven't seen any updates to this car. We'll soon find out.

I am curious to see if they can update the Gracenote database. Still can't find anything on that either.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPowered View Post
    All the crucial updates added to pre 2015s are already in your 2015. Examples are the shutoff after 2 hours if left on and the triple horn honk.
    Any other updates would require a check engine light diagnosis.
    Some of the phone problems will require you to search previous posts. Some errors are the result of software updates to the phones and probably won't get an update for the car.
    I find my 2015 engine to be pretty quiet. Try to find another Volt and ask the owner to lift the hood (when the car is on, opening the hood will start the engine). Compare the sound.
    Anything seriously wrong with the engine would set a check engine light.
    I hated that thrilled honk saw update. I brought my car in for the rear hatch strut recall and they were forced to install that update too. No way out of it.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Am I wrong in thinking that the OP has a misunderstanding of how Volt software "updates" are handled? Unless I'm mistaken, it's not like an Apple or Android device where regular OS updates are released and installed. And if there are software updates to resolve specific issues with the vehicle, dealers are notified via warranty updates or official service publications, right?

Most of the complaints I doubt are solvable via software anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dude727 View Post
    if I place my cell phone, or even the slightest bit of weight, on the passenger seat, I'll be driving down the road and suddenly get a seat-belt chime.
    Idk about something as light as a phone, but this is normal behavior for something weighing at least a few lbs. So this is either normal behavior, or an issue with the occupancy sensor in the seat being to sensitive -- not a software issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dude727 View Post
    More importantly, I am wondering though, if there are crucial electrical/drive train updates that I am missing out on. For example, the gas engine rides **crazy rough** between 0 - 40mph, lots of noise and 'spinning up', lots of vibration, so much so that I loathe non-highway driving using the gas engine, because it seems so excessive. According to the dealer -- this is all perfectly normal.
    If your description is accurate, this sounds more like a hardware/mechanical issue that a software issue.

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    I hated that thrilled honk saw update. I brought my car in for the rear hatch strut recall and they were forced to install that update too. No way out of it.
    I spoke with my dealer and they said that I could opt out of the car-still-on honk warranty "fix". I'd just have to sign a waiver acknowledging that I refused it.
    Last edited by jsmay311; 10-24-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    2013 #3197 - Blue Topaz Metallic

what specificcally I need to complain about to get it.
    Not sure about '15s needing it, but I had to ask for the steering software update on my '14. They asked "are you having trouble with it?". I declined to answer. They did it anyway, because I asked for it.

The first 3 items are to do with your phone not playing nice with the car, there are no software updates to fix it available from GM (and there is no fix for the seat sensor)

There are a few threads on how iphones worked fine until people installed the latest ios updates. Apple broke some things in the update, so the car doesn't work the same. Have a search for those threads if you like, but short answer is there are no updates from GM. This also happened in prior years' updates too.

And the seat sensor is reacting to an electronic device on top of it - also happens with laptops, etc. It is normal.
    Test with a bag of groceries and you'll see it works fine.

The engine is working as designed.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

FYI... On the iOS stuff, I've tried multiple devices, all the way back to iOS 7, so I doubt that the problem is exclusively to iOS9.

I'll be a little more aggressive with the dealer this time.

Regarding the seatbelts/seat sensor and some of the comments, yes, even a bag of groceries sets off the sensor; any weight whatsoever.

In all of the years that I have owned cars, I have never experienced something like this.

These issues aside, I do love the car. I am not loving the service experience; maybe time to go to another dealer.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text