GM Volt Forum banner

Tesla Self Driving Available Now By Software Download

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Breezy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
We expect GM to do the same for the 2016 Chevy Volt. It has all the needed hardware to drive itself, and GM is testing auto drive (and Super Cruise) at their proving grounds (even Mary Barra admitted it). So TM will be caught be GM in autonomous driving, and for a lesser cost, too!

#3 ·
No radar, no side looking ultrasound. The 2016 doesn't even have adaptive cruise, and GM had never done a firmware update to add features. I don't think there's any chance that 2016 Volts will ever drive themselves.

I'm hoping to see the radar and adaptive cruise show up on the 2017, but I have no reason to expect it - and I'll be shocked if anything like Autopilot shows up even then.

If there's a third generation car in the 2020 timeframe, it is likely to have something like that, but I don't expect it before then.

#4 ·
Those self driving features are going to be great. I'm not even talking about a fully autonomous vehicle. Just the features leading up to that. I can't wait to drive a car that will stay in the lane and keep a following distance by itself. That will make driving so easy and relaxing. Almost like being a passenger for the most tedious parts.

#5 ·
My local CBS channel did a story that said some of the Tesla's got the update overnight last night. I wonder if only the newest cars or what the criteria was for the update.

#7 ·
The folks on the Tesla forums who have been through several updates still haven't figured out how Tesla picks the order of cars - it seems pretty random. Tesla expects to have it rolled out to the whole fleet within five days, though. Right now there are a bunch of newer cars with it, and some of the original classic cars.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm not sure everyone really realizes how big this is. Not only did Tesla push the Autopilot update software wirelessly to the cars. Now all those cars are sending driving data back to Tesla making all the cars smarter and smarter.

ALL the legacy manufactures are in a hole here.

All the cars will get an UI update. The full Autopilot hardware began being installed in September of 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZe5DXeYzw

#11 ·
Gotta say, as exciting as this is it's a little scary. Reading some of the experiences of people on the Tesla forum and elsewhere about the car steering them off course does not inspire confidence.

One Tesla driver getting into an accident because of Autopilot could set autonomous driving back by years.

I'm not sure the wide release of a beta product that steers your car is the right way to do things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.