GM Volt Forum banner

Non-Tesla EVs may soon get Supercharger access?

7K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Bacardi 
#1 · (Edited)
https://cleantechnica.com/2015/09/27/some-non-tesla-evs-may-finally-get-tesla-supercharger-access/

Elon is quoted as saying, "“We are actually in talks with some manufacturers doing just that and it will be exciting to share that news.” The article also states one of the manufacturers is a "non-German, European company". What company could that be? Renault-Nissan? That's the most logical choice.

This will be one way Tesla can reign in operation costs of their Superchargers....by offsetting them with usage fees from other manufacturers. Tesla may state Supercharger costs are negligible, but they can't give away free electricity forever...specially when Model 3's start showing up in mass, whenever that is.

#2 ·
I believe Renault/Nissan is the best choice for Tesla to allow paid access. The US and Global environments see the most Leafs/Zoe and other and Tesla agrees with the BEV process and not currently a direct competitor. When Model 3 Comes out Tesla has the upper hand with "Free"(paid by others) Supercharging Tesla is all win and they can make more money to produce more stations.

#3 ·
Yes, but what happens when "other" EV's start showing up in droves blocking access to Tesla vehicle's??? Having to wait an additional 20 to 30 minutes to hook up won't sit well with folks that paid $100K for a Tesla.

#4 · (Edited)
Hopefully at some point all the DC chargers would be open to all EVs. At this point no other manufacturer has an EV that could benefit from the Tesla chargers. For that to happen you need a car that at least gets close to the AER of the Model S, and at the moment no manufacturer has such a beast.

Also note that, in a few years where the majority of EVs are (aka CA), there will be far more CCS chargers than Tesla chargers. Given the CCS chargers will be located more in large urban centers, which is where Tesla is seeing congestion at its chargers, you can see the synergies.

#5 · (Edited)
Tesla may state Supercharger costs are negligible, but they can't give away free electricity forever...specially when Model 3's start showing up in mass, whenever that is.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, Tesla is not providing the electricity. Tesla only provides the equipment. The electricity is paid for by the surrounding businesses that benefit from the additional traffic the superchargers bring. This is why their costs are negligible. From the way I understand it, the businesses that are listed in the supercharger info listings are the ones that pay for the electricity. They view it basically as advertising costs. If a car is stuck there for 30 minutes and the passengers have been sitting in a car for a couple hours, there's a very high chance they are going to walk to the adjacent Starbucks to get a refreshment. Tesla is looking for other manufacturers to help with the cost of building out the network and maintaining existing superchargers. The faster they can do this, the faster electric cars can be viewed by the general public as viable alternatives to ICEs.

#6 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, Tesla is not providing the electricity. Tesla only provides the equipment.
You are wrong, at least as far as superchargers go. For "destination" chargers, which are often found at hotels and aren't as fast as superchargers, they work as you described. But Tesla branded superchargers are powered by Tesla.

#8 ·
I prefer that all the BEV manufacturers accept the U.S. SAE J1772 DCFC standard. Having three standards is a hassle and will not unify the electrification of personal transportation. Tesla Motors would do better if their BEVs can be charged by the Supercharger or the SAE DCFC. That will benefir both types of owners. The import CHAdeMO should remain at the import dealers, and force the imports to adapt the SAE standard, too.

#11 ·
The assumption is that the non-Tesla manufacturer would adopt the TSL-02 connector (comes with Model S and X) and would use an adapter for plugging into J1772, just like Teslas do it today. Over in Europe, they would have a standard, non-Tesla connector for Supercharging and L2 without an adapter needed.

The other option is to make a adapter that would go onto a Supercharger nozzle that adapts to CCS. That adapter would have to cost something like $3000 which would come with an entitlement to use the Supercharger network via a unique ID with handshaking, much like the Superchargers do now with VIN lookups on the fly.

#16 ·
It costs a Tesla owner $450 to buy the Chademo to Tesla adapter cable: http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/chademo-adapter
With this adapter a Tesla owner can use the 13 Free DCFC units in the KC area.
They need a chargepoint card to activate the DCFC. And this is who pays for a Tesla owner's electricity at these DCFC stations:

There is no reason why a Tesla to CCS adapter has to cost "$3000".
Tesla would just need to add card readers to the existing Superchargers and non-Tesla owners could pay as you go.
The question would be: How expensive are Tesla electrons?

#23 ·
This article was well before the 375K M3 reservations...Musk stated his WAG was 130K so Tesla may be less interested in a partnership today due to the increased congestion...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.