GM Volt Forum banner

How to Embed Photos/Videos in GM-Volt Posts

49K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  Steverino 
#1 · (Edited)
Question: "I tried uploading a photo but they are marked as "moderated", what am I doing wrong?

Answer: Its likely the method you are using.

When posting (or editing and existing post) and you want to embed a photo or two,
Click the "Go Advanced" option and scroll down
Click the Manage Attachments button. A window will popup.
1. Click Add,
2. Select photos,
3. Upload files, then
4. The photos will be added to the Attachments area,
5. Click Insert Online,
6. Click Done.
You can also drag photos into the Attachments area and rearrange them before clicking Insert Online/Done.

Note: After clicking Go Advanced but before Inserting, make sure to place your cursor where you want the pics to go - preferably on their own line in your post. Otherwise they are liable to end up in the middle of a sentence!

Text Line Rectangle Parallel Font
Text Green Font Line Number
Text Line Font Screenshot Parallel
Text Software Font Technology Screenshot

How to Embed Videos:
see my second post below

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent explanation and instructions Steverino!

There have been instances of photos being moderated based upon content. This might occur if you upload some swine's license plate number or the latest self-snap from Nadya Suleman... laughs.

#4 ·
#5 ·
To embed a video, with most sites that run the vBulletin software you just drop in the URL of the video and the software takes care of the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnL99gCms1Q

EDIT: Come on guys, a lot of things don't work properly here. Embedding YouTube videos should be a no brainer.

#8 ·
Oh trust me, as I am on about a dozen different forums I know how to embed videos. I'm an admin on a GM car forum. If this forum software was even close to being up to date, you could simply drop in the YouTube URL and dispense with the other steps.

You guys really have to get out more... :D

#10 ·

I'd like to present this video (not mine) to show how embedding SHOULD work. Why can't the admins make it work as it should?

If this forum is owned and operated by an individual, I can understand the problems that individual must encounter maintaining a site of this size. It appears though from what I have read that a corporation owns the site and for that reason, there is no reason that it runs the way it does.

#11 ·
I'd like to present this video (not mine) to show how embedding SHOULD work. Why can't the admins make it work as it should?
I am not that bothered by having to click a button before pasting a link. But feel free to contact VerticalScope (the owner of the site) with your suggestion, Sly Bob.

#12 ·
Thanks, I will if I can find the contact information, I'll look for it tomorrow. Having the videos auto embed makes it so much easier for the novice and makes for a better experience for everyone.

#15 ·
#13 ·
Click the "Go Advanced" option and scroll down
Click the Manage Attachments button. A window will popup.
1. Click Add,
2. Select photos,
3. Upload files, then
4. The photos will be added to the Attachments area,
5. Click Insert Online,
6. Click Done.
[/INDENT]You can also drag photos into the Attachments area and rearrange them before clicking Insert Online/Done.

Note: After clicking Go Advanced but before Inserting, make sure to place your cursor where you want the pics to go - preferably on their own line in your post. Otherwise they are liable to end up in the middle of a sentence!

View attachment 8552 View attachment 8553 View attachment 8554 View attachment 8555

How to Embed Videos:
see my second post below
I can't even find the "go advanced" here on our forum, but with Flickr and YouTube, it's basically "Wham-Bam-Thank you Sam..." thus the reason I will keep using these services to post videos and photos.

#14 ·
I can't even find the "go advanced" here on our forum
1. Click "Reply to Thread" button.
2. Slowly scroll down the page looking for a "Go Advanced" button on the right. See screen shot below

Text Line Rectangle Parallel Font

#20 ·
FILE MANAGER DOES NOT WORK WELL ON SAFARI!

Hey guys, I've tried on numerous occasions to get photos up on here. I succeed 1 out of every 10 times. Why? Because the attachment manager does NOT populate the screen correctly in Safari. It is my only browser on my Mac. You can't see all the options (like "attach") despite pulling, dragging, maximizing, etc., the pop-up window. I managed to get a few images up last week by trying to find the "ideal" place to pull and drag the screen to show what I guessed to be the "attach" feature (it was only showing about 1/5 the way). I'm having no luck doing so lately...

Can't there be a better way? I would attach a screenshot of the problem, but I'm striking out this time in getting the image up.

#21 ·
Can't there be a better way? I would attach a screenshot of the problem, but I'm striking out this time in getting the image up.
Yes, install FireFox or Chrome. They are free. I have Safari too, but rarely use it other than testing. Or, send an email to Admin (that's the forum name) and maybe they can help.

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, vBulletin (the software this, and MANY forums, use) is variable depending on the site administrator's preferences and the version he/she purchased.

I'm no pro, so I always go here to see what's allowed: http://gm-volt.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode It's at the bottom of every page in the "Posting Permissions" box. The large image is a snippet that I took from the list of permissions.

I attempted to wrap the code around it, which is the way quite a few forums allow, and all I got was a link to my photo on photobucket, no embed.
I'm sure Steverino can help us because I'm curious about the instructions, too!:confused:

[IMG][url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/k9luver/CaptureIMGCODE_zps9e14a1df.png[/url]

This photo of the screenshot snippet I took has this code, only accessible if I click on the "Insert Image" icon option above the dialogue box...

[/URL] (space inserted by me) [/IMG]

#27 ·
Hi Steverino!

How can I embed a short cellphone video? It's not posted anywhere with a URL.

#28 ·
#29 · (Edited)
Full size picture posting

I know how to add a picture as an attachment so it comes up as a thumbnail that you must click on to view. But how do you post a picture that is full size already with no need to click on it?
Update: Okay never mind. I think I figured it out.....I must have an on line photo account somewhere and then I just link the URL.

#33 ·
Does anyone know if you can set specific start time for embedded youtube videos? I can only get youtube videos to start at a specific time if I don't embed them and instead use a url like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Mggt0pwEo&start=132

I'm aware it's not very pretty, but even after Steverino fixed it, the start time isn't parsed, at least with the latest Chrome browser. Following is what Steverino fixed for the above video in a post of mine:

Even better if the embedded video not only starts at the specified time, but the thumbnail for the embed is of the specified time as well.

#35 ·
Likely the photos were taken on a sideways orientation and that metadata is passing through to the post. Try rotating the image in your phone first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.