Google Maps + iPhone + Bluetooth to the car = "Call Ended"
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps + iPhone + Bluetooth to the car = "Call Ended"

Default Google Maps + iPhone + Bluetooth to the car = "Call Ended"

This is weird - when I'm using the new Google Maps app on my iPhone 4 connected via Bluetooth to the car's built-in bluetooth, the audio turn-by-turn nav has this rather odd behavior:

"In 100 feet" (google lady)
    "Call ended" (Volt)
    "Turn Left"
    "Call ended"
    And so on. This is just weird, IMO. It's almost unusable, quite frankly. All those "Call Ended"s are just f'ed up.

I do a little iOS app development, and I get the audio part a little bit. I'm guessing that Google is just doing something funky that interacts poorly with the Volt. If I'm connected via my BT headset, I don't get the "call ended" business.

It's something like there's some TTS going on in the Google app, and then that speech is played out through the connected speakers. But I don't get music through bluetooth, and I'm not sure I get other beeps and ringtones through bluetooth. I can play music if the phone is connected via an iPod cable, but not on bluetooth only.

I'm not sure if Google, Apple, GM/OnStar, some, or all of them get to share in the blame.
    Ron C. / Chicago-area
    2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat Volt C8794, acquired 11/08/2011

The "Call ended" is the Volt talking... It happens anytime the bluetooth phone profile is closed. I don't believe there is any setting that can be changed by us to make it stop

Another very STUPID decision in the infotainment system that GM WILL NEVER CORRECT...

I didn't mind this kind of crap before but watching how Telsa rolls out software upgrades for major functions while GM can't make simple UI changes just pisses me off
    2012 Volt owner on 2/28/12
    as of 1/28/13: 8,158 EV miles - 11,090 total miles

Quote Originally Posted by ahaer View Post
    The "Call ended" is the Volt talking... It happens anytime the bluetooth phone profile is closed. I don't believe there is any setting that can be changed by us to make it stop

Another very STUPID decision in the infotainment system that GM WILL NEVER CORRECT...

I didn't mind this kind of crap before but watching how Telsa rolls out software upgrades for major functions while GM can't make simple UI changes just pisses me off
    I got that that was the volt - different voice, etc. what I don't get is why google used the phone profile for the communication. GM on my droid doesn't do this, for example.

Just another example of the 1990's thinking that permeates the OnStar software. This is the single most disappointing thing in the car. There's an entire list of features where this is WAY BEHIND the competition.
    Ron C. / Chicago-area

Advertisement

Yea, try using Siri with Bluetooth connected. Doesn't work.

Not the end of the world, but I share your frustration....
    2012 Silver Ice Metallic- built 6/12

Not the end of the world... but it makes GM very vulnerable. I tell everyone, Chevy Volt + MyFordTouch = a winner. Chevy's infotainment system is so clunky compared to other vehicles on the road. Want to see some improvement there for an otherwise amazing car.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Yea, try using Siri with Bluetooth connected. Doesn't work.

Not the end of the world, but I share your frustration....
    I have no problem with Bluetooth and Siri with my iPhone 5. I press the phone button and say "Bluetooth", then say "voicemail", then "call xxx" just like I would if I was holding the iphone to my ear. Works great except for when on a noisy road.

Which Iphone- I just downloaded the google app for my Iphone-5 after reading your post and will try it out.

I had an odd glitch using remotelink and the iphone-5 that needed a cold boot ( the reset not the restart) to fix (the on/off button and the home button)
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    Which Iphone- I just downloaded the google app for my Iphone-5 after reading your post and will try it out.
    iPhone 4 (not a 4S, so I don't get Siri or TBT nav with Apple Maps).
    Ron C. / Chicago-area

I used the Google Maps App turn by turn last night, using my iPhone 4S, via Bluetooth, to my 2013 with MyLink. I didn't have that issue with "Call Ended". It worked just fine for me. I also can use Siri.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
    This is weird - when I'm using the new Google Maps app on my iPhone 4 connected via Bluetooth to the car's built-in bluetooth, the audio turn-by-turn nav has this rather odd behavior:

"In 100 feet" (google lady)
    "Call ended" (Volt)
    "Turn Left"
    "Call ended"
    And so on. This is just weird, IMO. It's almost unusable, quite frankly. All those "Call Ended"s are just f'ed up.

I do a little iOS app development, and I get the audio part a little bit. I'm guessing that Google is just doing something funky that interacts poorly with the Volt. If I'm connected via my BT headset, I don't get the "call ended" business.

It's something like there's some TTS going on in the Google app, and then that speech is played out through the connected speakers. But I don't get music through bluetooth, and I'm not sure I get other beeps and ringtones through bluetooth. I can play music if the phone is connected via an iPod cable, but not on bluetooth only.

I'm not sure if Google, Apple, GM/OnStar, some, or all of them get to share in the blame.

Apple and google. GM has no idea what they will do with their apps and iPhone.
    8KW solar.array
    96 square foot solar hot water array
    Solar clothes dryer
    Banned so often I should put it in my signature

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast