Clicking sound from outside car starting and stopping at low speed (2012 Volt)
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clicking sound from outside car starting and stopping at low speed (2012 Volt)

Just FYI, I had some clicking noises at low speed recently too, but it really seemed to be coming from the brakes. Was at the dealer a few weeks ago for tire rotation / oil change so had them look at it. They said the front brakes were a little gunked up, so they cleaned and lubed them and the noise was gone. No charge (still under B2B).
    2013 Summit White with comfort package. Picked up 9/6/13.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by G-PA View Post
    I have an appointment next week to have the axle nuts retorqued. The new parts are already in. Did you get GM to pay for it?
    Had new axle nut washer kit installed, retorqed and regreased. Noise is gone for now. Didn't receive a bill even though I am beyond my 3 year warranty. Very pleased to have the noise eliminated.
    2013 Volt White Diamond Everything
    2012 Enclave Ming Blue AWD

There are a few threads similar to this one around the forum. Lots of posts about washers needing adding, nuts being torqued,etc. One major post about nut torque and stick-slip effect of the shaft at the CV joint making noise.

Another possibility for this sound is the wheel bearing failing. FYI, here's a post I just made in another similar thread:

"This past week I had my right front wheel bearing replaced (mileage of 120k km). My symtpom sounded the same as the OP. A click-click sound when braking or accelerating - best heard at about 20km/h (windows open). Very distinct and reproducible. Needed alternate braking/accelerating. For example, if I brake, brake, brake, accelerate, brake the sound was only heard on the first brake, not the next two, and then again on the first brake after accelerating. Vice versa for accelerating. Dealership reported there was play in that hub, so if they're to be believed, the issue for me was not a stick-slip issue at the CV joint due to low nut torque (as discussed extensively in the other Pop noise thread). Sound gone after hub replacement. Cost of parts/labour was about CAN$450 since the hub is apparently an integral unit with speed sensor, etc."

03/04/2010 - Put down a $500 deposit to hold my #1 position.
    ....Bunch of stuff in between......
    09/08/2011 - Vehicle Delivered. Yippeeee!
    VIN# 847 (MY2012)

4. Advertisement

Also, if it's been a while, start with a brake service (cleaning, lubing, adjusting) and see if it goes away.
    It can't hurt, and needs to be done every few years anyway.

Turns out my clicking was a brake pad sticking and then releasing and snapping into place.

Much cheaper than any other options if out of warranty.
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

I have sounds coming from the back of the car at starting/stopping at low speeds also. It sounds like the gas stove when you try to light it. Maybe about 3 clicks per second. Only at stop/go traffic and never on highways.

Anyone else? Should I take it in for service?

P.S. Mine's a Gen 2 Volt, but just adding to this thread in case the people here had more clues. Thanks.
    2016 Volt LT | Iridescent Pearl | Jet Black w/ Jet Black | Comfort Package

Quote Originally Posted by namja View Post
    I have sounds coming from the back of the car at starting/stopping at low speeds also. It sounds like the gas stove when you try to light it. Maybe about 3 clicks per second. Only at stop/go traffic and never on highways.

Anyone else? Should I take it in for service?

P.S. Mine's a Gen 2 Volt, but just adding to this thread in case the people here had more clues. Thanks.
    I have the exact same issue and I also have a Gen 2. I don't know if it's a normal sound. I will have a visit to the service soon.
    2016 Chevrolet Volt LT
    Mosaic Black Metallic

Had the exact same clicking sound on the same wheel as bro1999 described in post #1- I have 38k mi on my 2014 volt.
    So I popped the little center hub cap off- tightened the axle shaft nut with a 1/2" breaker bar- took it for a road test... no more clicking on accel/decel!
    I checked the passenger side axle shaft nut too... it was rock solid tight- it wouldn't budge at all.

Three min zero $$ fix in the driveway....love it!
    2014 Ashen Grey Volt

I bought a '13 volt 3 weeks ago and noticed the noise described in this thread during the test drive. Tonight I had time to pull the wheels and have a look. Both axle nuts were loose, so much so that they weren't really exerting any clamping force against the hubs/bearings. I torqued to specs. If they loosen again I'll replace them with the updated parts listed in this thread. Regardless it's an easy fix. Glad I found this thread!

^ What is the torque spec if you don't mind?
    2014 Ashen Grey Volt

11. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by NYRob View Post
    ^ What is the torque spec if you don't mind?
    Click or Pop noise from front on Accel or Decel

185ftlb

FWIW: Found on my Gen1 that I had one nut overtorqued and the other one was loose...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text