GM Volt Forum banner

EVSEUpgrade will modify your stock 2013 Volt EVSE to 240V

17K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  jimtesla 
#1 ·
I sent an email to EVSEUpgrade and got a very quick answer.

On Dec 1, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Steve wrote:

I have a 2013 Volt which has the new Clipper Creek manufactured 120V charger. These have 14 AWG wiring and are closed with 6 screws. Have you evaluated these new units for possible upgrade?

On Dec 1, 2012, at 3:07 PM, EVSEUpgrade wrote:

We can do that unit with a 240V 13A upgrade for $239. It will no longer operate on 120V however. You can order the rev1 upgrade on our site.

Regards,

Mark

EVSE Upgrade
www.evseupgrade.com
509-651-8000

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, that's big news! Thanks for the post stevenak and welcome to the forum! How many Volts are prowling around Santa Fe?

It's great that they can upgrade the new 2013 L1 EVSE, but it's too bad you lose the 120V capability. That's a deal breaker for me and I'm sure many others. If they can offer a dual voltage solution for <$300 they will own the L2 Volt market. Especially now that the EV Project only offers a $400 incentive rather than $1200. Most people would be happy to charge their Volt at 240V 13A for that price rather than buying a more expensive higher amperage EVSE for $1000. And it would be portable too. But losing L1 capability would prevent you from opportunity charging at many locations. And it's probably not worth buying a second unit to have one L1 and one L2, at that point you'd be better off just buying the Leaf dual voltage unit.

dpeilow, the European version is only rated for 50Hz operation so it probably won't work. Even if it did, it's limited to 10A so the cost to import one wouldn't be worth it. Again in that case you'd be better buying the Nissan Leaf upgraded EVSE.

#8 ·
Thanks for the welcome! We have 5 or 6 Volts here in Santa Fe, but the dealer here is starting to have trouble keeping them in stock.

The loss of level one charging is a deal breaker for me as well. I have a Voltec level 2 EVSE which I have made mobile with a welder plug. While I was obsessing about level 1 today I re-read the specs for the Voltec and noticed the voltage input range is 85VAC to 250VAC. I tried it today with 120V and it works just fine! So although it is big and awkward I now have a portable level 1 and 2 EVSE!

#5 ·
Nah, it should be fine. 14AWG is rated to 20A (or even 25A w/ 90C insulation). So if it's only runing 13A it shouldn't be an issue. Make it dual-voltage and this will be a real winner for new Volt owners going forward.

#6 ·
From their faq -
Will the upgraded EVSE work with the Chevy Volt?
This used to be problematic, due to picky timing on the Volt's SAE J1772 Charging interface, but GM has since corrected this with a software upgrade in the Volt. If you have had the dealer installed upgrade, your Volt is now compatibile with our upgrade! All recent Volts are delivered with this installed from the factory now. Our unit will now properly charge a Volt at 120 or 240 volts, and in addition it is built much more ruggedly and heavier-duty than the original Voltec unit. Our unit is equipped with 12awg cable whereas the Voltec only has 16awg! (same size as standard lamp cord!)

Are you also offering an upgrade for the Chevy Volt EVSE (Voltec)?
No, we don't feel this is a safe or viable option. We recommend our upgraded Nissan EVSE to Volt owners, as is much more rugged and better built than the Voltec unit, and in addition is more efficient. The Voltec is equipped with #16 AWG cable throughout, while the Nissan/Panasonic unit uses #12 AWG. We do not feel the Voltec unit is reliable and safe enough, and in addition, the Voltec unit is ultrasonically welded together, so it is difficult to open without damage. (see previous question for more information)
Their upgraded Nissan charger appears to be just under $1000. Wish I had seen this before I ordered the one I did. Portable 240v would have been better than a wall mount for me.

#7 ·
ptarp, the quoted text is based on the 2011/12 Volt EVSE. It sounds like they are willing to upgrade the new 2013 units because they now use heavier gauge wiring and the case is accessible.

The upgraded Leaf unit is nice for portability, but very expensive for a 16A limited EVSE.

#11 ·
if a 50 Hz transformer can run on 60 Hz with no ill effects I would guess a AC control relay in the EVSE would not have a problem.
Would also think a ac to dc power supple (if there is one ) would not care.

#13 ·
Wow what a great concept upgrading these. Hopefully a company can come out with one of these portable 120/240v EVSE's for around $500. Would be fantastic if the car manufatures would include these with the car also.

How would one of the upgraded 2013 Volt EVSE's compare to a 240 SPX wall mounted chargers?

#14 ·
Won't happen, it's against National Electric Code to have a 240V L2 EVSE use a cord-and-plug outdoors. So no company is going to make one and car manufacturers can't include them with the car either.

As for comparing an upgraded 2013 Volt EVSE so the SPX offering, the upgraded Volt would have the advantage of portability and low conversion cost. However it would no longer operate on 120V which both SPX EVSEs can do. And it would be limited to 13A where the SPX Voltec goes to 16A and the Power Xpress goes as high as 32A. See my post here for more info:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17900-Portable-220-charger&p=203654#post203654

#17 ·
The NEC is also why the 120 volt cord on the charger is one foot long. The logic for doing that is ok but why bother when people will just add another cord to make it longer and the new connection point will not be water proof.

#21 ·
Actually Tesla has been very careful to never explicitly say on their website (or elsewhere) that it is okay to plug their mobile connector into a 240V outlet outdoors. In typical Tesla fashion, they skirt the line here just like they to with their sales and service model. On their website they do indicate their mobile connector can be plugged into any outlet, but they only give examples and suggestions of indoor use. It's a careful choice of wording on their part - they are saying that technically it "can" plug into any outlet with the appropriate adapter. They are not saying it is okay to plug into any outlet.

For example, under outlet charging they say:
If you plan to install a new outlet in your garage, we recommend the NEMA 14-50.
Under installation they say:
Prep Your Garage
We recommend working with our partner SolarCity or a licensed electrician to install your High Power Wall Connector or NEMA 14-50 outlet before your Model S arrives.
On their store website and install brochure for the mobile connector they only show a picture of a Tesla parked inside a closed garage and the brochure states:
The receptacle should be installed in a dry environment
Tesla isn't exempt from the NEC article I quoted above. Their website does give the average buyer the impression that it's okay to plug into 240V anywhere, but they don't actually say so. Tesla just lets the buyer draw their own conclusion based on the information given while still limiting Tesla's liability.

#22 ·
I wonder: What would NEC base its rules on? How much more deadly is a 110V water-related short vs a 240V? I can imagine there is a difference, but how much is it?

The problem seem to me the lack of water-resistant plugs. After all, you need at least one plug to plug the car in. With a portable EVSE you use two. There are a spectacular amount of different NEMA plugs and connectors, none of which is safe outdoors and all of which date from before the war. Most NEMA plugs are flimsy and are easily bent, probably because the had to be cheap to produce.

My workplace supplies outdoor EV charging stations with a NEMA L6-20 240V twist-lock connectors. Its seems that it would not be code-compliant to use them....

#23 ·
I have a 2011 EVSE upgrade on my Leaf for 220 outlet. I may be buying a Volt on Monday 4/8/12 and need to know if that EVSE will work w the 2013 Volt.

Tia,

Ian B

#26 ·
just for the record

i got two charge cords with my purchase

i have since sent one in to have this upgraded

it works great charges fast...no heat issues

highly recommend this as a low cost conversion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.