First High Speed Long Distance Trip
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First High Speed Long Distance Trip

Cool First High Speed Long Distance Trip

I spent the day motoring between Phoenix and Tucson today. Left with a full charge, and made it to the Interstate with 38 miles of charge left. Once on the Interstate, I set the cruise to 80 to see what would happen. I spent the entire round trip at 80 (except for 12 miles at 60 getting to and from the Interstate.) Holy cow 80 kills the batt fast. The ICE kicked in just 26 miles later. Here's the result:

Still, not to shabby! The only thing I wish the car had was a proper tachometer. That's maybe the fifth time the engine has come on since we acquired the car. (It had 700 gas miles on it when we bought it, so our lifetime avg is pretty much hosed.) The funny thing is, I seriously debated taking our 19 MPG pickup for the trip so as not to adversely effect the average before common sense kicked in.
    Last edited by HotVolts; 11-30-2012 at 02:18 AM.

You can put the drive mode into HOLD and then you wont use the battery, just the gas.. and you can save the battery for "under 80" driving later in the trip. At 80, im sure you will notice the yellow ball running a little higher than center indicating you are not running efficiently.

That's brilliant! How do I put it into HOLD? The ball was green the whole way, solid green, without the leafs obviously.

Advertisement

In several weeks, I'll be taking my new "Sparka" (our 8-y-old's name for a Volt) south on the I-5 to Los Angeles from central Calif. I am curious how slow or fast it will go climbing the "grapevine". Checking maps, it has a 1600' elevation gain in 6 miles, (267 ft per mile gain.) This is the section where loaded trucks sometimes crawl at about 30. My VW Passat could keep 75 mpg pretty well.

The ICE will definitely be working on this one. I'm not sure... If I "hold" the battery until I get to this section, will the battery and ICE together propel the car better than only the engine?

If we actually take this trip, I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by HotVolts View Post
    That's brilliant! How do I put it into HOLD? The ball was green the whole way, solid green, without the leafs obviously.
    What year is your car?
    2012 White Diamond
    2014 White Diamond ..daughters
    Hydro Powered
    (By TVA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfkirk View Post
    What year is your car?
    It's a 2012.

Does not look like using MM (or Hold if it was a '13) would have helped. The gas mileage was pretty low (just under 30). I've gotten the same results at about the same speed. That speed must be high enough to take the ICE out of its optimal fuel map. For a tach get the Torque android app and an ELM 357 blue tooth OBD2 dongle.
    2012 White Diamond
    2014 White Diamond ..daughters
    Hydro Powered
    (By TVA)

I just made that trip last weekend. I hit the bottom of the Grapevine with 28 miles electric, the car was on hold mode the entire way until that point. I drive in L mode the entire way. When I started climbing the Grapevine, I changed into Normal mode. I noticed the battery supplemented the ICE almost the entire way. Our rate of speed up that steep grade was about 65-70 the entire way.

It was interesting to me that on the downhill sections of the Grapevine was the miles of brake lights you could see going down the mountain. While driving in L, I never used my brakes on the downhill sections, and when I got to the bottom if the hill, I had 7 miles all electric only when I reached the bottom. So, it's nice to save brake pads, and to get extended range from the downhills.

Here are my findings about high speed for a longer time:
    Kicking the Volt into the speed limiter (169 km/h) and keep it there for half an hour, or longer results in the fuel consumption dropping below 10L/100km. Probably this is due to constant speed.
    During rush hour the speed is around 100km/h, while the fuel consumption goes above 10L/100km.

Since the 40km range of the battery doesn't make any sense, maybe reducing the battery might be an option. Lower weight is also lower power consumption.

By the way, driving even faster with a Toyota Prius, results in a power consumption of 5,6L/100km.

Cheers,

TWW

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks The White Warrior View Post
    Here are my findings about high speed for a longer time:
    Kicking the Volt into the speed limiter (169 km/h) and keep it there for half an hour, or longer results in the fuel consumption dropping below 10L/100km. Probably this is due to constant speed.
    During rush hour the speed is around 100km/h, while the fuel consumption goes above 10L/100km.

Since the 40km range of the battery doesn't make any sense, maybe reducing the battery might be an option. Lower weight is also lower power consumption.

By the way, driving even faster with a Toyota Prius, results in a power consumption of 5,6L/100km.

Cheers,

TWW
    100km/h driving at above 10L/100km that's not good? I drive at ~110-120Km/h on the expressway and can easily get 6L/100kms on gas.

7 August 2012 - 2013 Volt - D3079 - Blue Topaz Metallic - Pebble Beige Cloth - Comfort Package and Safety Package 1 came home.
    https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1667

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text