GM Volt Forum banner

Just test drove 2016 Volt!

48K views 105 replies 54 participants last post by  HighlanderICT 
#1 · (Edited)
Just drove the 2016 Volt!

Hey everyone, I had an incredible opportunity today to drive the new 2016 Chevrolet Volt premium trim level. I drove it at the GM Headquarters in Oshawa, Canada and it was one of the 6 or so recently delivered Volts in the last few days/week.

Here are my impressions: First thing, sitting in the drivers seat reminded me of sitting in the Cadillac ELR, obviously not as premium as the ELR, but premium nonetheless. Everything is beautifully laid out, the interior materials are more upscale, and visibility is improved over GEN 1. The shape of the A frame pillars seem to be better positioned. In terms of the interior, the Apple integration with your existing iPhone is fantastic. It displays either Google maps or Apple maps on the display screen which has much improved resolution over the old Volt. Currently, it does require you to plug into the USB port as Apple wireless integration is not yet ready - but I was told it is coming.

I was very surprised to learn that there is a wireless charging port for your phone integrated into the centre console - that was really cool. Both the front and rear seats are more comfortable, and the heated rear seats are a huge bonus for us northern dwellers. The rear centre console is improved - although there really is not much room for a fifth person as one has to straddle the centre console.

Driving impressions - incredible. The first thing I noticed straight away was that the car had a tighter, quieter drive to it. The suspension is definitely better and overall a much more luxurious drive. In terms of acceleration, it is quicker off the line in electric mode. But I can't say I noticed a significant overall difference between it and my own 2012 volt. I activated the genset with hold mode and it was definitely quieter, even when I accelerated quickly to force the genset to rev higher. When the genset was on, it had a lower tone to the engine noise, but again, it was barely noticeable. Overall though, better driving experience than the current Volt.

Exterior - The door handles have chrome trim, again a surprise to me, but much appreciated. I'm still torn a bit about the styling. In person to me it looks more like a Ford than it does a Honda Civic. I like it, but I like my GEN 1 as well. But Volt fans don't be worried, when someone sees it, it's distinct enough they'll know it's a volt.

ERDTT - Confirmed, there is no change minus 10 C it will engage.

Regen - When driving in low and sport mode (which is my daily drive preference) regen feels the same when letting off the accelerator. However, I had the opportunity to use the regen paddle, which is located only on the left side of the steering wheel, and it slows down the car significantly quicker. I was told brake lights activate when using the regen paddle.

Final thoughts - The new 2016 Volt is clearly improved in almost every way. It's just better. I will try to post some pictures (all pics now on page 9).

Postscript: I've been thinking about my drive since my original post and I have to be honest and say the new 2016 is very, very good - best car for the money (with rebate) out there period. I've driven BMW and a few other "upscale" brands lately and there is nothing I would rather do than drive the new Volt (ok perhaps a Volt CUV if GM had one). And this is coming from someone who once said he would never ever buy a GM product. With this car, GM has proven to me it is probably the best car company out there. Even GEN 1 is still relevant five years after it was released, and it looks like this tradition will continue. Thanks GM!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks. Really appreciate the report. Could you elaborate a little more on the interior - feel, materials, etc.

#32 ·
I will have to look back at pics when I get a chance but less hard plastic and better leather would be the two things I would say.

#8 · (Edited)
ELR comes down to about 5mph. Not a complete stop using regen-on-demand paddles. However, I tend to not come to a full stop anyway.

Wireless phone-charging port? How does that work?

What brand/type of tires?

#9 ·
Totally jealous after I just purchased a 2015!

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah, I get that part, but, not all phones have this capability. iPhone 6 does not. Is there a thinger to convert a phone to use this feature? Not that I need charging in the car. My phone lasts all day on one charge.

#16 ·
In terms of acceleration, it definitely is quicker off the line in electric mode. But I can't say I noticed a significant difference between it and my own 2012 volt.
So... "definitely" quicker, but not "significantly"? :confused:

Are you contrasting off-the-line vs overall acceleration?

The shape of the A frame pillars seem to be better positioned.
So you'd say forward visibility is better? How much so?

the Apple integration with your existing iPhone is fantastic. It displays either google maps or Apple maps flawlessly on the display screen which has much improved resolution over the old volt. Currently it does require you to plug it into the USB port, Apple wireless integration is not yet ready but I was told it is coming.
Having Google maps on the screen sounds awesome, even if you have to plug in via USB.

But one of the things that drives me crazy with my MY2013 is the inconsistent performance of simply playing audio from my iPhone via bluetooth. I hope they have those issues fixed in Gen 2.

#34 ·
Having Google maps on the screen sounds awesome, even if you have to plug in via USB.

But one of the things that drives me crazy with my MY2013 is the inconsistent performance of simply playing audio from my iPhone via bluetooth. I hope they have those issues fixed in Gen 2.
YES!!! Spot on with both comments here.

#23 ·
In what ways would you say the suspension was better? is it more firm/ sporty (i.e. BMW-like) or did it move closer to soft and floaty i.e. Lexus-like)?

#24 ·
Did you notice if it had a garage door opener remote built in?

#29 · (Edited)
In terms of acceleration, it definitely is quicker off the line in electric mode. But I can't say I noticed a significant difference between it and my own 2012 volt.
So... "definitely" quicker, but not "significantly"?

Are you contrasting off-the-line vs overall acceleration?

The shape of the A frame pillars seem to be better positioned.
So you'd say forward visibility is better? How much so?

the Apple integration with your existing iPhone is fantastic. It displays either google maps or Apple maps flawlessly on the display screen which has much improved resolution over the old volt. Currently it does require you to plug it into the USB port, Apple wireless integration is not yet ready but I was told it is coming.

For acceleration I was referring to both off-the-line and overall acceleration

Visibility seems to be improved as mirrors slightly smaller and sit lower on the sill and the shape of pillars and windscreen seem to help as well. An improvement from my perspective.

#33 ·
ERDTT being unchanged is an annoying let down. Low hanging fruit left on the tree.

#37 · (Edited)
I wrote a letter to Mary Barra and Canadian CEO and told them no CUV, 6.6kw and getting rid of ERDTT were three biggest misses for me. They hinted that perhaps one of my three things will be dealt with sooner than I would expect but would not comment further. ERDTT would seem like the easiest low hanging fruit to deal with so maybe we will get our wish. Hard to say though.

#36 ·
When it comes to acceleration I'm more interested to hear if it still has the same delay as Gen-1 when you floor it. It is always odd when I have to explain to people that I have a Volt and Leaf and the Volt is technically faster, but the Leaf feels faster because it responds more quickly.

#55 ·
I know exactly what you are talking about and come to think of it there was no delay. No wonder it felt so nice. I took it through its paces driving on city streets at lower speeds and then drove for about 10kms on the highway 401 at speeds up to 120kph. There was some time when I was driving a bit at around 100kph and then I punched it to the floor to speed up and there was no delay. Didn't register with me until I read your question.

Sorry about all my spelling mistakes in earlier posts. Using the iphone to manage the conversation today and it was a bit difficult.

#39 ·
As others have already said, thanks for posting your reactions. You're lucky to have driven the new Volt!

In terms of the interior, the Apple integration with your existing iPhone is fantastic. It displays either google maps or Apple maps flawlessly on the display screen which has much improved resolution over the old volt. Currently it does require you to plug it into the USB port, Apple wireless integration is not yet ready but I was told it is coming.
Did you specifically test Google Maps via CarPlay? My understanding was that Google hadn't added (or hadn't been allowed to add) support and only Apple Maps worked in CarPlay. Honestly, with Apple Maps getting increasingly better, I'd be more interested in seeing Waze support CarPlay.

#41 · (Edited)
As others have already said, thanks for posting your reactions. You're lucky to have driven the new Volt!

In terms of the interior, the Apple integration with your existing iPhone is fantastic. It displays either google maps or Apple maps flawlessly on the display screen which has much improved resolution over the old volt. Currently it does require you to plug it into the USB port, Apple wireless integration is not yet ready but I was told it is coming.
Did you specifically test Google Maps via CarPlay? My understanding was that Google hadn't added (or hadn't been allowed to add) support and only Apple Maps worked in CarPlay. Honestly, with Apple Maps getting increasingly better, I'd be more interested in seeing Waze support CarPlay.

It was the GM rep's iPhone 6. He told me it could charge wirelessly. Google maps came up by accident and it was working so I can only assume both google and apple maps work.

#40 ·
By the way, congratulations on what has to be the first published driving review of the new Volt!!! We bow before you!

#59 ·
Appreciate all the wonderful feedback so happy to share all my impressions with you. Really though, just happened to be in right place at right time.

#54 ·
Regen - When driving in low and sport mode (which is my daily drive preference) regen feels the same when letting off the accelerator. However, I had the opportunity to use the regen paddle, which is located only on the left side of the steering wheel and it slows down the car significantly quicker. Brake lights activate when using the regen paddle.
Perhaps when using the regen paddle it hit "> 1.3 m/s²".

this post from Slapshot28 citing the UNECE specification which states:
5.2.22. Generation of a braking signal to illuminate stop lamps
5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17., which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:
Vehicle decelerations Signal generation
≤ 0.7 m/s² The signal shall not be generated
> 0.7 m/s² and ≤ 1.3 m/s² The signal may be generated
> 1.3 m/s² The signal shall be generated
In all cases the signal shall be de-activated at the latest when the deceleration has fallen below 0.7 m/s².
Via: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?25953-Brake-Light-Actuation&p=332929#post332929

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.