How To Jump Start the Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How To Jump Start the Volt

Default How To Jump Start the Volt

See the PDF linked below for jump starting the Volt. Print out for your glove box and/or download to your cell phone. Of course, this is an overview only. See the Owners Manual, for complete details.

Volt-Jump-Start-Overview.pdf

I updated the PDF to include both jump starting the Volt as well as using the Volt to jump start another vehicle.
    Last edited by Steverino; 11-26-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: sp. in title (for search)
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Another VERY IMPORTANT note is that the above instructions are only to jump start the Volt. If you are jump starting another car FROM the Volt DO NOT CONNECT THE JUMPER CABLES TO THE TERMINALS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!

Here is a quote from the 2012 manual:

When using the Volt to jump start another vehicle with a run‐down battery, jumper cables are connected directly to the positive (+) and negative (−) terminals on the 12‐volt battery in the rear cargo area. Do not use the remote terminals under the hood. This could cause a fuse to overload in the Volt.
    2012 Volt owner on 2/28/12
    as of 1/28/13: 8,158 EV miles - 11,090 total miles

I decided a few years back when I bought a Prius that I would no longer jump start a vehicle from another vehicle. I started placing a combination jump start, air compressor, work light, usb port, and inverter in each vehicle.

I keep them charged using a 12V accessory port. I have had to replace the SLA battery in each unit every couple of years, but I rotate those into game feeders.

I would like to find one with a form factor for the Volt's storage compartment under the rear carpet. Ideally it would have a 5 minute timed switch to allow energizing the Volt's electronics system itself through the 12V connection, and then return itself to a charging state.
    Last edited by John_Hatchett; 11-26-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by John_Hatchett View Post
    I decided a few years back when I bought a Prius that I would no longer jump start a vehicle from another vehicle. I started placing a combination jump start, air compressor, work light, usb port, and inverter in each vehicle.
    I do the same thing. Most of the portable boosters have built in circuitry to prevent you from connecting them incorrectly as well. It's surprising how often people do it wrong... And it can be very dangerous to you, and it is very easy to damage the computer in the car as well.
    Nowadays you can practically buy one for the price of a decent set of jumper cables anyway!
    Love My Volt!

Blue Topaz, Black/Ceramic White Leather, Nav 2012
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by John_Hatchett View Post
    Jumping seems to be in he air today. With the Volt you don't need the usb port or the air compressor since you have these. The Volt doesn't need much power since you're only powering the computer not cranking the engine, so any of the small battery booster products should work and fit easily into the available space. Like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00 or this http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EA2045-S...=pd_sim_auto_2 You'll probably need to attach them to the battery with something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    The Volt doesn't need much power since you're only powering the computer not cranking the engine, so any of the small battery booster products should work and fit easily into the available space.
    Given that the 12v battery does not need to crank an engine (just boot the electronics), perhaps a $13, 12v lantern battery would work just fine as an emergency jumper for the Volt? Ace Hardware, $13.
    Then again, a jump from another car works too.

12v-Lantern-battery-Jumper.jpg
    Last edited by Steverino; 11-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 51,445 miles, 156 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 67%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1375 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 3% gas, Saved 61 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Hi folks,

If you have a Menards store near you, starting tomorrow 12/9/2012 they have the Stanley SSLION battery booster device DonC mentioned (link) on sale for $30 with a $10 Menards credit check rebate.

The deal is on the cover of the "Stuff Your Stockings With Savings" advert, which you can see here.

Hope this helps somebody. If you can get your hands on one, your net cost will be less than half what this item usually goes for.

Also, don't forget you will need to get a cig-socket-to-ally-clips adapter, since you won't be able to use a 12V accessory socket to boot your Volt's computers this way. I've got to cobble together one of those myself.

Cheers,
    Mike-o-Matic

PS. I hope this doesn't qualify as Spam... methinks not, as I have nothing to gain from it.
    Daily Driver: 2012 Blue Topaz Metallic Volt
    Designation: "C YA OPEC", manufactured early June 2012.
    Stuff: Everything but Bose & Navigation
    Hydrocarbons: ~102 gallons burned @ 28,230 mi. on the odometer - mostly used on road trips and ERDTLT.
    Lifetime MPG: 271 on MyVolt site; peaked at 340 before two winters and several long road trips.

"ERDTLT Mode" and "NO EV-ORIENTED TAX INCENTIVES"
    Just two more reasons to move south, and out of Wisconsin!!

Default Another little tid-bit

An addendum to my post about the Stanley SSLION booster...

Stanley doesn't go out of their way to make this known, but many of their automotive products are manufactured for them by Baccus Global. The applicable website is here. And, the manual for the SSLION is here.

I know it was a bit of a PITA to track this down for my own purposes, so there ya go!
    Daily Driver: 2012 Blue Topaz Metallic Volt
    Designation: "C YA OPEC", manufactured early June 2012.
    Stuff: Everything but Bose & Navigation
    Hydrocarbons: ~102 gallons burned @ 28,230 mi. on the odometer - mostly used on road trips and ERDTLT.
    Lifetime MPG: 271 on MyVolt site; peaked at 340 before two winters and several long road trips.

"ERDTLT Mode" and "NO EV-ORIENTED TAX INCENTIVES"
    Just two more reasons to move south, and out of Wisconsin!!

I have resolved the question from this source. After reading this, I got the solution. wiki. answers. com /Q/ How_do_you_jump_start_a_24_volt_lorry_with_12volt_ car [/url]
    Last edited by beacon44; 01-21-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    See the PDF linked below for jump starting the Volt. Print out for your glove box and/or download to your cell phone. Of course, this is an overview only. See the Owners Manual, for complete details.

Attachment 8155

I updated the PDF to include both jump starting the Volt as well as using the Volt to jump start another vehicle.
    Thanks for sharing this. Will keep with owners manual.
    2012, 2nd owner, Black/Black
    12 mile commute, one way.

+ Reply to Thread