My Leviton 220 volt EVSE quick install
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Leviton 220 volt EVSE quick install

Default My Leviton 220 volt EVSE quick install

Purchased a Leviton Evr-Green 16-Amp Blue Level 2 Electric Car Charging Station model EVB22-3PM from Home Depot.

Here are some pictures of the install. Wasn't concerned about "looks" but functionality as this is installed at my office in the warehouse. I ran the cable under the gate and then into my Volt. I have the EVSE mounted upside down to reach the outlet. Doesn't bother me a bit.

So much better than the 110 EVSE. I only charge at work so the 220 volt EVSE works much better for me.

IMAG0217.jpgIMAG0215.jpgIMAG0213.jpg
    Last edited by BronxVolt2013; 11-21-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxVolt2013 View Post
    Purchased a Leviton Evr-Green 16-Amp Blue Level 2 Electric Car Charging Station model EVB22-3PM from Home Depot.

Here are some pictures of the install. Wasn't concerned about "looks" but functionality as this is installed at my office in the warehouse. I run the cable under the gate and then into my Volt. I have the EVSE mounted upside down to reach the outlet. Doesn't bother me a bit.

So much better than the 110 EVSE. I only charge at work so the 220 volt EVSE works much better for me.

Attachment 8120Attachment 8119Attachment 8118
    Awesome

I am confused a bit. It looks that you ran BX to the unit. I assume you have 3- 10 AWG guage wires inside for the 240 plug. Do you? And also, what kind of plug are you using. Can you take a picture of it? Thanks for the tips.

Advertisement

It actually looks more complicated than it really is because of all the pre-existing boxes/conduits. If you look at the top of the three pole breaker box you will see a non painted EMT coming in. In there you have 4 wires, 3 "hot" wires and a neutral, (3 phase + neutral). The three wires 8 or 10 guage (forgot which) go into the breaker and one goes to the nuetral bar (not used by the EVSE). From the breaker I am only using two of the three legs which feed into the BX cable to the EVSE via the 20 Amp, 250 Volt, NEMA 6-20R, 2P, 3W. In the BX is a ground wire which is bonded to the breaker boxes frame.

The reason for the 3 phase/3 pole breaker is unrelated to the EVSE. We test 3 phase commercial laundry equipment from time to time so I intend to add a box with Leviton 2510 connector so I can use a test cable to the equipment when needed. There will never be a time when I/we will use both the EVSE and the testing connection so no worries there.

Here is the image of the connector I needed for the EVSE.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251

The second BX cable on the left is completely unrelated to the EVSE circuit. This BX is feeding power to the outlet box/gate(s) via separate wires coming in from the conduit in the top of the breaker box.

To answer your question: From the breaker to the EVSE is 12 gauge which is perfectly fine for this length in this case.
    Last edited by BronxVolt2013; 11-22-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added some info

How long is the cable on that unit (unit to the car)? On my Blink Unit I could really use and extra 3-5 feet!

The cable is 18 feet. I also wish it was 25 feet but it works fine for me. As you can tell in the picture I just park closer to the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
    How long is the cable on that unit (unit to the car)? On my Blink Unit I could really use and extra 3-5 feet!

+ Reply to Thread