Rear camera display washed out/hazy?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear camera display washed out/hazy?

Default Rear camera display washed out/hazy?

I'll post a photo tomorrow, but tonight heading out to pick up my daughter from dance, I noticed that the image displayed of the rear view from the camera looked washed out, hazy, and even out of focus. As it's my wife's car, I haven't had a lot of drive time, but wanted to know what kind of clarity other owners get. As a comparison, the rear view provided on my F150 is much more crisp and clear. To be fair, it was twilight, so perhaps the single rear back up lamp was to blame?

Thanks for any confirmations, one way or the other.
    2014 Cadillac ELR Hidden Content
    2014 Chevrolet Volt Premium Hidden Content

Two things that make a lot of difference on mine: Ambient lighting and dirty lens. In good lighting and if the lens is clean, I can tell the difference between a penny and a dime sitting on the ground right below the camera.
    2013 Crystal Red WATT GAS

Stock EVSE converted to L1/L2 auto-switching

The sense gets dirty. Wipe it with a wet finger or cloth and it will be fine. It os especially a problem in winter on snowy roads.
    2017 Premium, Silver, Black Leather, NAV, Bose, Adaptive Cruise Control, Driver Confidence I and II

2016 Premium, Summit White, Brandy/Black leather, NAV, Bose, Driver Confidence I and II

Used to own 2015 Silver, black leather, Bose, Navigation, Safety 1 and 2; 2014 Summit White, pebble leather, Bose, Navigation, Safety One; 2012 White Diamond Tri-coat, tan leather, navigation, Bose, HD, rear camera, front and rear sensors.

Durango, CO

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Yeah mine gets dirty fast. The way the airflow causes dirt to gather on the rear of the car, any rain at all requires a cleaning of the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by blastersix View Post
    I noticed that the image displayed of the rear view from the camera looked washed out, hazy, and even out of focus. As it's my wife's car, I haven't had a lot of drive time, but wanted to know what kind of clarity other owners get. As a comparison, the rear view provided on my F150 is much more crisp and clear.
    Unfortunately, that's a known problem with the 2014 ELR that Cadillac has no plans to fix. Hopefully the 2016 model year will have a better reverse camera that can present a better image at night or in dark garages. Part of the problem is that C.U.E. doesn't automatically bring the reverse camera image to full brightness, so if your Illumination Control Wheel is dialed down for nighttime driving, the image will be even more muddy.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-vs-50k.html

I'm bringing up this old thread because I made a huge improvement in my stock rear view camera by just polishing the lens. I bought my 2013 Volt used, so not sure how it was when new, or if it had been scratched or damaged before I bought it, but the view was definitely on the blurry side and a disappointment. It looked like a dirty lens, but no amount of cleaning would fix it. I put some Brasso metal polish on a cloth and rubbed it for a minute or so and the improvement is dramatic. The view is even pretty good at night now. I highly recommend this as a cheap and easy first step if you want a better camera view.

The lens still easily gets wet and/or dirty when the weather is bad, which distorts the image, so if anyone has an idea to improve that, I am interested. I tried rain-x, but that did not help. If anything, that probably made it worse.

I had this issue fixed under warranty -- mine was due to a software problem, and updating it made the picture markedly better. Mine was "fuzzy" -- almost like a high def picture that had switched to a lower resolution. I'm not saying yours is the same, but it is worth a visit as there is a TSB about it.
    ***2013 Black Volt, Leather with Ceramic White Accents***
    ***17" Sport Wheels, Nav, Bose, SP1***

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm bringing up this old thread because I made a huge improvement in my stock rear view camera by just polishing the lens. I bought my 2013 Volt used, so not sure how it was when new, or if it had been scratched or damaged before I bought it, but the view was definitely on the blurry side and a disappointment.
    This thread is about the Rear Vision Camera in the 2014 Cadillac ELR, not the 2013 Volt. Polishing the lens doesn't make any difference in that car.

Thank you. I was totally lost when I posted on this forum. Sorry for the irrelevant post.

12. Advertisement

rainX has worked well on the windshield and rear window of our 2016 Volt. I've noticed that the rear view camera screen can appear hazy when drops of water have splashed onto the lens. Any thoughts about applying rainX to the camera lens? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text