GM Volt Forum banner

Report: New Tesla Roadster To Hit Market In 2017 As The Model R

Tags
tesla
5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  aventineavenue 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Ahem...Tesla? r u listening? Where's the "Model U" - first things first!

So Tesla just announced the 2017 plans for a V2 of the Roadster. With all those loans to encourage tech for the people (please don't go political on this thread!), my question where are the plans for the "Model U"?

IMO they should be focusing on a public release date for that. If 90%+ of us our to even consider a pure EV (to complement our Volt:) it needs to be:

-Under $30K (after tax credit, base "160 mile" battery)
-5 Passenger compact to mid size
-Performance and amenities equal or greater than a base Volt (that should not be an issue for Tesla!)

I don't see any real competitors for such a vehicle, perhaps the Ford Focus electric, if it not for its $39k price tag and hideous trunk intrusion...

#7 ·
So Tesla just announced the 2017 plans for a V2 of the Roadster. With all those loans to encourage tech for the people (please don't go political on this thread!), my question where are the plans for the "Model U"?

IMO they should be focusing on a public release date for that. If 90%+ of us our to even consider a pure EV (to complement our Volt:) it needs to be:

-Under $30K (after tax credit, base "160 mile" battery)
-5 Passenger compact to mid size
-Performance and amenities equal or greater than a base Volt (that should not be an issue for Tesla!)

I don't see any real competitors for such a vehicle, perhaps the Ford Focus electric, if it not for its $39k price tag and hideous trunk intrusion...
IIRC from their previous press releases the cheaper Tesla will come out before the model R. But IMO giving it a few years before releasing their mass market Tesla is probably a good thing. The prices of components will come down meaning they can sell it cheaper and/or actually make money on it. Also they have much work to do with learning how to mass manufacture a vehicle. The Model S is slowly ramping up but the goal for that car is 20k/yr. The Model "U" (or whatever it will be called) will aim at much higher production. Some time to mature as a company and finally make some profits isnt a bad idea before going into production of a high volume low profit margin model.

#3 ·
We went to Natick,MA to see the model s last week its priced at 42.5k after the fed tax credit....close enough to the volt but def. not equal to it ,we want the model x ,hopefully the production will ramp up by then so not as much waiting..

#5 ·
Just checked out the Tesla X webpage after my post

I guess I was under the misconception the X was a much larger and more expensive vehicle than it is (but it can still top out at $97k)

The base model will still be ~$42 *after* tax credit - still to high, especially if GM can get the MPV5 "Orlando" to market for the same price or less - I hope GM had got its eye on Tesla's release date - I'm going with that! :)

It's looking more like 2020 before it's the year of a Model U like I described...

#8 ·
@aventineavenue: I looked around the threads and didn't find anything on this, so I posted. I wish it were easier to find relevant threads on this site BEFORE posting a new, possibly duplicate thread, etc. Got to do better with 'tags' I guess. Nevertheless, our Moderators are 'on-the-ball'! Anyhow, I agree. The 'X' looks great to me!

#13 ·
@aventineavenue: I looked around the threads and didn't find anything on this, so I posted. I wish it were easier to find relevant threads on this site BEFORE posting a new, possibly duplicate thread, etc.
Thanks for making the effort! You both posted at about the same time (great minds!). Your dupe post shortcut will evaporate after 1 day and only this thread will remain.

#11 ·
The article seems to be third hand information at best. I doubt Tesla is putting any resources or time into this while the current Model S, 2014 Model X and third gen sedan are higher priorities.

The Model S base price after the federal rebate is 50k, not 42k. Only way it is priced at 42k is if your state also has incentives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.