GM Volt Forum banner

Anyone in Portland Oregon on PGE's Time of Use plan? Can you tell me the rates?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  solar_dave 
#1 ·
I'm in Portland Oregon and considering switching to the PGE Time of Use pricing, but I'd like to know what the actual Peak, Mid Peak and Off Peak rates are including all the charges so that I can compare to my current rates. The PGE website lists per kWh pricing for Peak, Mid Peak and Off Peak, but they do not give the comparable rate for non Time of Use billing. My current bill has about a dozen line items with per kWh prices, so I don't know what to compare to. I don't know if it will be readable, but here is my current bill as an example:
Text Font Document Paper

Adding all the per kWh rates and adjustments, I calculate that I am paying a marginal rate of about $.10 per kWh. Could someone in Portland who is on the Time of Use plan, tell me what your equivalent marginal rate is for Peak, Mid Peak and Off Peak? Or if it is readable, reply with an image of the details portion of your bill? Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
ok after a little research you pay $0.0678/kwh because you don't exceed 1000kwh per month. Lets assume you use 1000Kwh/month before the volt, without taxes etc that is $67.80. With this argument the volt will push you over 1000kwh per month, so you're rate to charge the Volt becomes $0.075. The Volt uses 12-13Kwh to charge from E->F. Which for the sake of argument is $1. If you charge up the volt 30 times/month, that is $30 per month.
$97.80 total

If you move to the variable rate ( 0.132 high 0.075 mid 0.044 off) plan and you use 85% of your electricity during high and mid peaks you'll pay $85 for that 85% and $11 for the 15% off peak = $96. If you charge the Volt off peak only the above $30 becomes $17.
$113 total.

PGE says unless you can shift a majority of your electricity use to off peak 10P-6A then the plan can be more expensive. I was loose and fast with the numbers but the gist is valid, ie don't go variable rate unless you are a vampire. And be happy that @ $0.075/kwh anytime, you pay less than A LOT of americans.

#4 ·
The key to TOU rate plans is to move as much usage as you can to off peak, like,swimming pool, water heating, clothes dryer, and other high load items. Then look for ways to lower your on peak usage, CFLs or LRD lighting, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.