2013 Volt Software Update Oct 19
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Volt Software Update Oct 19

Default 2013 Volt Software Update Oct 19

I came home to a message from my Volt advisor on the phone indicating that there has been a problem with some of the 2013 Volts mysteriously turning off the electric motor while driving. Apparently the steering and brakes will still work, but you have to safely coast to a stop, turn the car off and then power it up again 2-5 minutes later. She indicated that the solution was a software update and I should take the car in as soon as possible. The update takes about an hour. If you have not had this message yet, check with your dealer.

I infer from your post that this update only applicable the 2013s.

Still, just to be explicit: Did your Advisor state that it's ONLY an issue for 2013 Volts? Further, did your advisor say anything about it NOT being applicable to 2011s/2012s?
    Daily Driver: 2012 Blue Topaz Metallic Volt
    Designation: "C YA OPEC", manufactured early June 2012.
    Stuff: Everything but Bose & Navigation
    Hydrocarbons: ~101 gallons burned @ 25,450 mi. on the odometer - mostly used on road trips and ERDTLT.
    Lifetime MPG: 252 on MyVolt site; peaked at 340 before two winters and several long road trips.

"ERDTLT Mode" and "NO EV-ORIENTED TAX INCENTIVES"
    Just two more reasons to move south, and out of Wisconsin!!

It was a problem for my vehicle too which was resolved last week during my visit to the dealer. Typically when the error occurred, cycling the park brake through the range of operation would extinguish the message.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-o-Matic View Post
    I infer from your post that this update only applicable the 2013s.

Still, just to be explicit: Did your Advisor state that it's ONLY an issue for 2013 Volts? Further, did your advisor say anything about it NOT being applicable to 2011s/2012s?
    Keep in mind that this was jut a message left on my phone, but the advisor's words were, "Some owners of 2013 Volts have reported . . .", so I would assume that it only involves 2013's.

We're expecting [pun intended] delivery of our 2013 next week and, of course, will ask that all updates be applied before we accept the vehicle. But is there a menu item where an owner can tell which updates have been applied?
    Norm

Status - Build-date 16 Oct 2012
    Status - Delivery date 16 Nov 2012
    D13751 -VoltStats
    Solar-Powered
    Ham Radio-KA5AWP
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit

Quote Originally Posted by stoichvolt View Post
    It was a problem for my vehicle too which was resolved last week during my visit to the dealer. Typically when the error occurred, cycling the park brake through the range of operation would extinguish the message.
    Were you in D or L when the problem occurred? Were you accelerating? Decelerating? Cruising? This does make me nervous when turning left in front of oncoming traffic.
    Ralph7
    2014 Volt
    Silver Ice Metallic Exterior
    Jet Black Interior
    Premium Trim, Both Safety Packages, Navigation, Bose
    (previously owned a 2013 Volt with exactly the same options and color - drove it 20,100 miles)

So far 2.5 months with our 2013 and no issues so far. Maybe the issue only involves certain cars? I haven't yet recieved any messages from my dealer or Volt advisor.
    Last edited by Neromanceres; 10-20-2012 at 09:54 AM.

7 August 2012 - 2013 Volt - D3079 - Blue Topaz Metallic - Pebble Beige Cloth - Comfort Package and Safety Package 1 came home.
    https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1667

Quote Originally Posted by Neromanceres View Post
    So far 2.5 months with our 2013 and no issues so far. Maybe the issue only involves certain cars? I haven't yet recieved any messages from my dealer or Volt advisor.
    Same here - 2013 and no issues at all.
    Volt # 104290 "Faraday" | 2013 Cyber Gray with Jet Black Leather and Spice Red Accents.
    MyLink with Navigation & Bose, Enhanced Safety Packages 1 & 2, Premium Trim, Polished Wheels
    Delivered on 08/14/2012!

Quote Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
    Indeed. This is not a comforting report for 2013 owners.
    Comforting? Having a software update that fixes the issue is not comforting? Just take your car in for the update and you can be comforted.

Advertisement

I got that call last night and took it live. They said shutdown was possible if you used a charge mode other than immediate and that I should not use delayed charge until I got the fix.

I have been using delayed charge since I got the car at the beginning of September without a problem.

I question the validity of this info. Why does GM use a voice call to get out this information? A written communication with full details is more appropriate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 8 LastLast