GM Volt Forum banner

[Q] What charge miles do you get.

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  solar_dave 
#1 ·
After a rapid charge.

I normally get 47, but recently now it is 48. Only once it was 49

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It all depends on how you are driving, plus weather. These charge displays are simply best guess estimates trying to predict how many miles you'll get based on past history. Actual miles will vary. I've been routinely getting 45-49 miles. That will start dropping with colder weather.

#3 ·
My range has been from 41 to 50 (2011 wont go higher). It all depends on if my wife or I have been driving the Volt most recently. I've thought about trying to teach my wife to drive more efficiently, but after nearly 48 years I've learned to avoid those teaching experiences.

VIN # B0985

#5 ·
That's funny! My wife drives MUCH more efficiently than I do, but she cranks the heat way up which negates it in the winter. I pretty much never use the heater.

My range right now is 39 after my wife has been driving with the heater on. (temps in the morning in the 40's). My range earlier when the temps were in the 60s was around 43. I've never had the upper 40's that many people report - really jealous.

#4 ·
Now that it is a bit cooler here I am getting a 48 mile estimate on the 2012.

#6 ·
When I first bought the car in late June I was getting up to 39 miles, never more. Now only about 32 per charge. I changed the climate from Comfort to Eco today and I'll see if that makes a difference. I had the car serviced with the recall so I hope there were no mistakes made that could limit the mileage. It has been cooler here with nights in the 40's but the car is inside. BTW, I charge only with the 120 volt system that came with the car. Does anyone think the 240 would make a difference? I LOVE THIS CAR!

#8 ·
Sterling - just watched your video. That's very impressive - nicely done!

StarLog, I have a 2012, leased on June 2012. 7,822 miles to date, 7,479 EV miles. Typically my range shows 50 miles (it won't show higher than 50). My personal best is ~54 miles. Voltstats says 856 MPG.

My daily round trip commute is 70 miles in SoCal freeway traffic, and I always drive in L mode, no A/C, radio on, windows rolled down 1/4 way or so (all 4).

#9 ·
Sterling - just watched your video. That's very impressive - nicely done!

StarLog, I have a 2012, leased on June 2012. 7,822 miles to date, 7,479 EV miles. Typically my range shows 50 miles (it won't show higher than 50). My personal best is ~54 miles. Voltstats says 856 MPG.

My daily round trip commute is 70 miles in SoCal freeway traffic, and I always drive in L mode, no A/C, radio on, windows rolled
down 1/4 way or so (all 4).
Question, my results are close to yours....and when I have a good series of runs in the low 50's the estmate stays at 50. Do you think that is a display limit?

#10 ·
All good to hear, Just got mine about 6 weeks ago. My run to work is 48 miles round trip.
Live in Central Fla. so it is warm 85 degrees today.

In the morning I run all down windows, no air, and radio up so I can hear it.
In the afternoon on the way home, I run ECO air about 35% fan speed in the linear line. Seems to be about 28% battery use.

Thanks for the replies.

#11 ·
46 predicted this morning, did 47.2 with 3 to spare with pounding music for about half of it, and some form of AC ( both eco and comfort) for several miles and at least one stomach lurching take off at one light. What an amazing car!

#13 ·
My 2012 averages mid 40s. I got it up to 47 once. kWh consumed on a full charge to CS mode averages close to 10.5. Once I got 10.8kWh. Mostly stop and go commuter traffic round trip driving situations about 12 miles per on weekdays. Not too shabby, but I SURELY don't see how getting "50" is doable, but maybe if I wasn't always caught in rush hour traffic.

#15 ·
My 2013 maxed so far at 42 but I seem to be averaging 41. The odd thing is that my daily commute is always the same - 9 miles via local roads that max at 45 MPH, and some days I get to work with 36 miles of range left, while other days I have only 31 left. My driving style is typically the same, while some days I use the A/C on Eco and others I have the windows down and set for Fan Only. Today I was on Fan Only with the windows down but the A/C was still on and my climate use was around 35% - probably because it was muggy out in S. Fla. I can understand a few miles of difference each day, but as high as double the usage? That's just crazy talk. I know there are tons of other factors in there, but I just wish these predictions were a tad more... predictable ;-)

#16 ·
dsinned - do you drive in the Sport mode? What about your HVAC setting? The other major factor is driving style, specifically how one accelerates and stops. I've honed my techniques driving ICE vehicles, last of which was a 2009 VW Jetta TDI.

To be clear, driving to achieve 50 MPC isn't evryone's cup of tea. I make a conscious effort to do it, but I know it's not for everyone.

#19 ·
When I first got the car around Labor Day, I was getting about 53-54 miles on a charge with the car battery indicator showing 50 miles per charge.

Since it got colder out, the car has indicated between 47 and 48 miles on a full charge.

Today, was a good day, car was fully charged and I pre-conditioned the batt and it indicated I had 48 miles of charge available. I used .7kWh to go 4.3 miles. Car indicated I had 45 miles left upon arriving at my destination.

By lunchtime, it had warmed from 55 degrees to roughly 65 degrees and when I got back in the car, it said I had 47 miles left, and it stuck to 47 miles for a good portion of my lunchtime commute.

I have been using the efficiency screen and since switching to that, I've have been getting between 90% and 100% drive efficiency. Today's trip I was routinely getting 100% drive efficiency.

All in all, I am very impressed with the mileage I'm getting. :)

#20 ·
I,started today with a 48 AER, drove 46 and got home with 8 left on the range estimate, not bad for a 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.