GM Volt Forum banner

Mirror HDMI Device and Add Rear Camera to OEM Screen Without Reprogram Installation

137K views 127 replies 47 participants last post by  chuckisduck_v2 
#1 · (Edited)
Mirror HDMI Device and Add Rear Camera to OEM Screen Without Reprogram - Installation

Hi all, I thought I would post my install of the HD-LINK IW03GF from the embedded link (it does require translation, I ordered my box by contacting the site via the email on their website as they are based in South Korea). (My inspiration for this came from a post by CaptainSlow and the Camaro forums)

This pretty amazing box integrates with the stock screen and auto detects going into reverse to show the rear camera. It also uses the stock Dash buttons to activate the various functionality of the box. No reprogramming of the radio is needed like other 2013+ solutions. I do not know if this works on 2011-2012 non-mylink cars but I do not see why it wouldn't.

Manual for IW03GF

Be advised, the volt is not mentioned as compatible with this box but I made it work by finding the correct wires to tap into. Install at your cars own risk and be sure to follow what wires I use.

Materials needed:
HD-LINK IW03GF: $324 Shipped
Rear Camera - Pyle PLCM38FRV: $18.46 (This camera gives the ability to remove the stock lines and reverse the image for front or rear use.)
Positap wire taps: $9.16 (I did not want to risk damaging the wires that needed tapping into so I think these are the best option)

What is in the box (Which arrived within 3 business days):

1. Disconnect negative battery cable to be extra safe while doing this.
2. Remove plate around the shifter area with plastic tool. Remove connector for shift position light.
3. Remove two screws holding the center dash on and gently pull the entire face with screen and buttons out. Unplug all plugs gently.
4. Remove 4 screws holding the stock head unit in. Remove all connectors from radio gently.

Back of radio connectors:

Attach the 20 pin connector supplied to the stock 20 pin

Front of 44 Pin Connector:

Wires to tap from 44 pin Connector (that Green and Yellow striped wire turns off when the Volt Powers completely down but powers up when you unlock the car):

Front of 18 Pin connector that plugs into center stack:

Details on tapping the CAN High and CAN Low wires from 18 pin connector:

I left the GVIF connector board sitting on top of the radio and it fits fine with everything back together:

Location where I installed the IW03GF box (Those side panels are easily removed by pulling, no screws hold them on ):

DIP Switch settings for Volt: Use the Malibu Switch setting for the Volt (Switch 6-10 all in OFF position)

I ran the HDMI and stereo output from the IW03GF to the center console pocket.

Removing the center console is a pain but here are the details (Do this while the center stack is removed as well):
1. Remove rear center console first by unscrewing 3 torx screws that hold the console on and pull it out. This is easier to pull out with both rear seat bottoms removed (Remove those by pulling up.) and the seat backs folded down.
2. Unscrew two 10mm bolts from the back of the front center console section.
3. Remove the front center console side panels by pulling them off by hand (No screws hold them on).
4. Unscrew the two small screws at the top front of the center console.
5. Unscrew the two 10mm bolts from the sides of the front center console (Under the side panels pulled off in step 3)
6. Pull center console back, up and out.
7. This tunnel is also used for running the rear camera wires.

Right now I use a chrome cast to send my phone screen to the OEM screen. I used my mobile hot-spot to get the chrome cast to connect to my cell phone. There are apps that can be used to trigger things to happen when bluetooth connects, so the transition can be seamless.

Rear Camera Install:
I used an access hole close to the license plate lights in the rear that pop out easily. I did not have to remove the rear bumper cover.

You can get to the above access hole by doing the following:
1. Unscrew the load floor with the 4 10mm nuts on the perimeter. Remove the load floor (Where your charger sits).
2. Pull the most rearward plastic panel out after popping out the plastic around the cargo hooks. It pulls toward the front of the car, then up.

Take the plug out through the licence plate light hole, drill, run wires through the hole into the car, and pull the plug back in place as seen below:

I used 3M automotive two sided tape.

Result video here:

Below are details on using the stock touch screen to control your Android device

Requirements for controlling an Android phone from the stock touch screen:
1. You need a rooted Android phone for this to work with an OTG cable (Looking into bluetooth link in the future)
2. To get the phone to appear on the screen, you need the IW03GF box and a way to mirror the phone to an HDMI device (I use chromecast, and wifi hotspot)

Materials (If anyone is interested, I have some spare parts from tinkering and might be able to put a kit together.)
1. A 4 Relay 5v board will be used to switch between the OEM 4 wire touch controller, and the Android touch controller. $6.99
2. A touch controller compatible with android, I found the one from car-solutions to be easiest to work. $45 plus shipping
3. 7 inch 4 wire 1mm pitch FPC connector to connect from OEM touch controller to the switching box. $1.87
4. 2 Female 4 pin FPC 1mm pitch connectors to connect to the touch panel and receive signal from the OEM controller. (can be sourced from ebay, or mouser) These I used with the Adafruit breakout board that had the wrong connector.
5. Various wires and prototyping board to solder female fpc connector breakouts to.
6. Some way to switch the 5v relay, I used an arduino from sparkfun.com but it can be switched manually.

If anyone is interested in the sketch to auto switch the relays I posted it on Dropbox here.

I'll just post pictures of the relay setup if anyone wants to replicate it feel free to ask if you have any questions:

First pic is the pin that gets 5V when regular screen is showing and 0V when the HDMI is showing. Second is arduino with breadboard, prototyping shield, and screw terminals.

Soldering 6 pin header which connects to the relay board. Connector on right is the stock screen unit after removing the back, 4 pin FPC male connects to the Adafruit FPC extension, Female connects to the FPC male-male cable.

Back of screen unit after running FPC cables and screwing back together:

Final installation:

Video of controlling Phone from Touch Screen:

See less See more
2 22
#4 ·
Just have to ask, how are you chrome-casting direct? Do you have some mobile wifi router setup just to provide the phone-2-chromecast link? I've never cast for longer than maybe 30 minutes, is it possible to still charge the phone while casting the screen, or is the power used by casting high enough to suck up most of the power being provided by the charger?

#8 ·
My Guess would be the box knows this information from tapping into the CAN wires, it is a standard rear camera without guidelines. The lines do move side to side based on steering wheel movement though. When I install the front camera, it should automatically show when shifting from park to D, and Reverse to D as well for a specified amount of time but I haven't installed that yet.

#11 ·
It is very easy to remove the stock radio and check that the connections are the same. If they are then I don't see why this wouldn't work. I would get the external mode switch just in case the oem buttons don't map though for changing modes.

#13 ·
Nice, I tryed a few touch controllers, one from car solutions and the other is the ar1100 from adafruit.com.

I got both to work, the adafruit one requires a bit more work and both need a rooted andriod phone with an OTG USB cable. The connector that the touch panel has is a 4-pin 1mm pitch FPC cable. The only issue to overcome before being able to control the phone from the stock touch panel is switching the 4 wires from the OEM touch controller, the android touch controller, and the touch panel. Only one controller at a time should be connected to the touch panel.

I will try an 8 relay board to do this which will be pretty bulky but its the only thing that I am sure will physically connect and disconnect the wires. I have a 14 dollar touch panel from adafruit to test this on until im sure it works.

Any ideas welcome.

#16 ·
I am not sure what the pinout on that is and couldnt find it anywhere on the net. I ordered this 8 relay board, the relays are overkill but it is cheap and should be easy enough to wire up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360717697832?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have an arduino sitting around so I might try to use that to do the auto switching after verifying it works properly. If I tap the GVIF splitter wire(s) that came with the HD Link box I bet I can find the switching signal wire to automatically switch touch controllers...

#18 ·
hmm, so to be clear, the original backup camera wouldn't work with this kit, you'd have to install another one? Also, would my dvd/nav/onstar radio and everything else still function normally? hadn't seen you post in a few days, hoping you've been figuring out how to wire the touchscreen to play nice...

#23 ·
thanks for the work being done. Scott. Once all the kinks are worked out with the touchscreen this will be my next modification as well. who needs a 2016 volt with android auto? Well OK, i still wouldn't mind a 2016 volt with a longer battery life and extra seat... but still.

#26 · (Edited)
juanikun mentioned "You can use your original backup camera. You'll just need to disable the backup camera function on the HD-LINK using DIP switch."

You could still use the front camera function if you wanted to, Ill do one on mine soon since the camera is so cheap and it would be nice when parking.

thanks for the work being done. Scott. Once all the kinks are worked out with the touchscreen this will be my next modification as well. who needs a 2016 volt with android auto? Well OK, i still wouldn't mind a 2016 volt with a longer battery life and extra seat... but still.
I enjoy hacking things so this is kind of a hobby project for me :) It definitely extends the life of the infotainment system to be able to do this.

#31 · (Edited)
Touch controller info update

Discoveries on controlling an Android device so far: (I updated the OP with this information)
1. You need a rooted Android phone for this to work with an OTG cable (Looking into bluetooth link in the future)
2. A 4 Relay 5v board will be used to switch between the OEM 4 wire touch controller, and the Android touch controller. (I have an 8 relay board but a 4 is on order since it is only 6 bucks)
3. I can tap a pin from the GVIF splitter included with the HD-Link to trigger the touch controller switching when switching to HDMI mode (That pin gets a voltage that the Arduino will read when inputs are switched). This will be done with an Arduino.

*Edited out pic of gvif splitter due to tapping the wrong wire...

Making progress, the thing that goes into the car will be a lot cleaner but this is a prototype for testing the switching...
Electronics Electrical network Wire Electrical wiring Technology

Sourcing the 4 wire touch cable (FPC 1mm pitch) was difficult but I think I found the right cable at Mouser Electronics and it is on its way. You need this to connect the OEM touch controller to my switching device... More info coming as I go...

#33 ·
Getting the female FPC connector (which will connect to the cable coming from the touch screen to the touch controller relays) to breakout into 4 wires was another challenge. I ordered the 4 wire touch breakout from Adafruit hoping it would be the same 4 wire 1mm pitch connector but it was not, it came with a .5 mm pitch connector.

So I ordered the correct female fpc connector from ebay, removed the one on the adafruit, and soldered it to the breakout board as pictured below using very thin wire. I will post detailed info on where everything was sourced from when I get something working. Hopefully that will be this weekend as I am supposed to get the Male-male fpc tomorrow...

Electric guitar

#37 ·
Video of it working here:

I used tasker to automatically cast my screen when the car blue-tooth is connected.

Will post details and parts breakout when I get a chance. I ended up using the car-solutions touch controller since calibrating and getting the adafruit controller to be on the correct axis was too difficult. If you had enough patience the adafruit might work but I gave up.

Doing this does require some soldering of tiny components, namely the female FPC connector breakout that I pictured in my other post. Luckily for us, there is a good amount of room behind the stock touch screen for stuff, I fit the 4 relay board and the FPC breakout sitting on top of the head unit right behind the touch panel. The arduino and prototyping shield I fit where I put the IW03GF under the front of the center console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.