Use of ethanol free gas
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Use of ethanol free gas

Question Use of ethanol free gas

Would the use of Ethanol free gas be an advantage for the Volt. My wife and I love our Black 2012 Volt and and taken many trips with it as we are retired. Is this something that is plus for the user if the ethanol free gas is available.

Thank you

Ethanol free gas is going to be advantageous for any car owner. If you can get it, and don't burn gas that often (or your access to the ethanol is easy and not at a premium), then you should use it.

I use only ethanol free gas in my boat.
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Please visit my blog at voltowner.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @voltdriver

There are some advantages and disadvantages to ethanol-free gas, but the primary advantage is better fuel economy (by 2% to 5%, typically). That advantage is offset by a higher price, but it might be worth it for some people.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lefty1630 View Post
    Would the use of Ethanol free gas be an advantage for the Volt. My wife and I love our Black 2012 Volt and and taken many trips with it as we are retired. Is this something that is plus for the user if the ethanol free gas is available.
    Well, that sort of depends on your view of why ethanol fuels are used in the first place. Ethanol fuels do have their positive side, otherwise they wouldn't be in the mix. I'm willing to bet that GM makes sure that their engines function as good as they can on ethanol fuels. Maybe in the big picture using ethanol fuels is more positive than negative.

VIN # B0985

I can get ethanol-free gas but it's only from one station and only in regular grade. Although the volt has cut my fuel use dramatically, I'm not going to be one of those facing maintenance burns so long term stability isn't an issue with me.

So here's my question: is ethanol-free regular better than premium with ethanol in terms of mpg? Price is about the same.
    Doug

2013 CMax Energi (His)
    2013 CMax Hybrid SEL (Hers)
    2012 Jet Black Volt (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by fotomoto View Post
    So here's my question: is ethanol-free regular better than premium with ethanol in terms of mpg? Price is about the same.
    Most likely, but that is due to energy density. If your car is tuned for higher octane (typically very advanced ignition timing and high compression), a lower octane fuel (even if ethanol free) might cause the engine to retard to the point that you aren't seeing engine efficiency that you would normally see with the higher octane fuel. In my experience, very few factory cars are tuned so aggressively that they actually need premium grade fuel, but it some worst-case scenarios, it does become necessary.

+ Reply to Thread