GM Volt Forum banner

Best place to order level 2 charger? (self install)

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  John_Hatchett 
#1 ·
I hope this wasn't beaten to death in a previous thread. Didn't see anything recent.

Where is the best/cheapest place to order a level 2 charger that I plan on installing myself? SPX? I know the Voltec charger seems to be the cheapest. Are there any good places to order it online? Amazon? I didn't see it. Hard to search amazon, they don't have a category it seems. Maybe I'm missing it.

Is it really worth getting a different charger? Different brand? Different model? I don't need it easily movable. I want to mount it on the outside of the house and leave it there. I keep seeing people complain about SPX. I'm just used to Amazon ordering with Prime. Looking for an easy way to order and get it here (to my house).

#3 ·
I bought through Lowes online. They have a few chargers there.
I used a 10% coupon and 5% more off using a lowes card account.

The coupon I have is still at home and I can share the coupon # if someone wants it. I believe it expires Oct 15th.

#6 ·
The coupon I have is still at home and I can share the coupon # if someone wants it. I believe it expires Oct 15th.
I would be interested in that if you don't mind. Post or PM me whatever you are comfortable with.

But it looks like the "cheapest" charger is still the Voltec through SPX. I was still hoping that Amazon sold that or something. I haven't heard great things about SPX, maybe those are all installer fees or something.

Anyway, thanks guys. I was searching around and those were the only things I had come up with, I was hoping I was missing something. Guess now.

#4 ·
There are a couple issues when buying an L2 charger.

1. The cheapest is the SPX AFAIK.
2. The SPX is a 3.3 Kw charger about 1/2 the spec for EV chargers, but exactly the right size for a Volt.
3. Moving up to a bigger charger install for future proofing can be an expensive item but is cheaper to do now rather than later when you may have to rip out alot of undersized installation. The chargers are more expensive for a full spec charger.
4. One way to do it now is run the heavier wire for a later upgrade and install a SPX for the best price.

As more EV get on the road, better more featured chargers are bound to become available.

#7 ·
My uncle is an electrician and he is going to help me this weekend run a dedicated circuit for the volt and we are going oversized, to make sure I'm as future proof as possible. At the other end right now, I'm putting a 110 plug, just cause I don't have a level 2 charger. But I plan on 10 gauge wire so I should be good for a while. I wish I could just go pick up a charger local somewhere, but I guess I have to do some more research and order one.

#9 ·
I understand the attraction to future-proofing, and I had considered it myself. However, I ended up going with the SPX Voltec and doing no "future-proofing" at all... i.e. I ran 12 gauge wire through 1/2" emt.

Here was my reasoning against future-proofing:

1. In the future, EVSEs should be cheaper as they will be produced in higher quantity, and they don't really do much to begin with. Perhaps when the "future" comes a 6.6kw EVSE will cost the same as today's 3.3kw SPX Voltec.

2. Copper is expensive. I had to run about 65 feet, and I think I reasoned at the time that I would need at least 8 gauge to support a 6.6kw evse. It was much cheaper to run a pair of 12 gauge wires over that distance. In hindsight, I somewhat wish I had run 10 gauge as the 12 does give off some noticeable heat. Probably should have done 3/4" emt too since that doesn't add much cost.

3. Even though J1772 is standardized across the industry, I am not confident that the standard will last. For example, Tesla is using proprietary connectors and EVSEs on the Model S, though it will be compatible through adapters to J1772.

4. Now that we have two Volts filling our two car garage, it will be at least two years (lease end) before I have to worry about the "future". The second Volt is quite happy with the extra 120V outlets I ran at the same time as the wiring for the SPX Voltec. We never need to "fast" charge more than one Volt at a time so this works out well.

#11 ·
I understand the attraction to future-proofing, and I had considered it myself. However, I ended up going with the SPX Voltec and doing no "future-proofing" at all... i.e. I ran 12 gauge wire through 1/2" emt.

Here was my reasoning against future-proofing:

1. In the future, EVSEs should be cheaper as they will be produced in higher quantity, and they don't really do much to begin with. Perhaps when the "future" comes a 6.6kw EVSE will cost the same as today's 3.3kw SPX Voltec.
I can appreciate the wiring for the future. I do not need a Level 2 now. 120 v works just fine. In 5 years level 2 will seem "quaint".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.