New 2013 Volt - Maximum EV Range shows 37 miles
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 2013 Volt - Maximum EV Range shows 37 miles

Default New 2013 Volt - Maximum EV Range shows 37 miles

I have had my new 2013 Volt for just over a week and the highest EV Range it indicates when i get in it from a fresh charge overnight is 37 miles. I have not had much time to test it but the actual maximum miles i get is about 36-37 miles as well. Have not had a chance to go on a long trip yet, still just using it for the daily commute.

A friend has had her 2012 Volt for about a month and she has told me that her car has indicated up to 40 miles EV range in the morning. I thought my 2013 was supposed to get more range than the 2012 (even it is just slightly).

I charge with the supplied 110v charger and set it for 12 Amps. Ill try to take a picture in the morning of the "Full Charge" note with the EV range. I live in California so its not cold in the mornings.

Am I missing something???

i am taking the car to the dealer on Monday for a minor seat repair and want to know what to tell them about it.

Also, should i try to have them fix the date issue where it tells me its tomorrow? sounds like from reading through the forum it may cause other problems.

My 2012 also showed 37 miles the first week . Later , it showed and delivered between 34-43 miles during the hot Texas summer . However , once the weather cooled below 85 degrees it started to improve . Yesterday it registered an estimate of 50 miles . Twice it has delivered 50-52 miles on a single charge.
    2012 Volt
    2014 Volt

The amount of predicted range can vary a huge amount by individual driving habits and outdoor temps. Very hot or cold temps will decrease your range and so will driving aggressively.

Try driving very efficient for one full charge and you'll see the resulting range increase predicted for the next charge. It's kind of hard to do if your a fairly "sporty" driver but when you see the range increase it's a good incentive.
    Late 2012 Volt
    Since 6/27/12

Advertisement

Mine also showed 37 for the first two weeks and slowly went up to 46 and now is moving down to 44, and as it starts to get colder I expect it to drop to 34/35. This is a July 2012 built unit and I do not know if the expanded battery capacity was put in yet.
    Volt White 2012
    Prius 2010

It will adjust as the Volt learns your driving style/patterns and as has been said often terrain and weather conditions will have a drastic impact on your CURRENT EV range. My 2012 has daily averages as high as 50 miles and as low as 41 miles and as we approach winter I fully expect my daily average battery range will drop well in to the low 30's.

It's normal.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Being in Cali, weather likely isn't a huge factor in your range. Driving style always matters. If your usual usage pattern is to jump on the freeway doing 70+, or involves a lot of stop and go driven aggressively, 37 miles is about right. If you drive the car at a steady 35-45, you should get a lot further.

The car is pretty smart, and the estimate is updated over time to reflect the environment and style the car is being driven in. GM used to say "25-50" miles for 2011s and 2012s (I haven't seen an updated version of this for 2013s - should be 27-55 from the EPA change,) and both ends are entirely realistic depending on how you drive the car. The 25 mile end is heavy winter climate control use combined with high freeway speeds (I've seen 27 a couple times in those circumstances,) while the 50 end is speeds between 25 and 50 on flat roads with no climate control (I've gotten to 50 once. I live in a moderately congested area and like my climate control. I've been in the upper 40s a lot more, however.)
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

I just got my Volt a couple days ago. My full charge the past couple times have been 41-43 mile range. And its fairly cold right now where I'm at, Mid 40's, tonight forcast says mid 30's.... My volt is in a detatched garage, so the temp isn't regulated in there, we'll see how low it drops tomorrow morning. But for it being in the mid 40's past couple days, 41-43 miles range I think is pretty good.
    2013 Chevy Volt, Cyber Gray Metallic
    US Navy Seabee / CM2 Active Duty. Stationed at Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Mt. Clemens, MI
    Daily Commute 32 Miles Round Trip, 50/50 Charging Home/Work = $8/Month Cost Charging At Home
    Savings = $200/Month In Gas!!!
    Best EV Range - 50.2 Miles at 10.1KwH used

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    GM used to say "25-50" miles for 2011s and 2012s
    Are you sure you don't mean "35-50"? That's what I recall hearing (mushy memory notwithstanding), and anecdotal stories of anything under 32 miles per charge seem exceedingly rare.
    Daily Driver: 2012 Blue Topaz Metallic Volt
    Designation: "C YA OPEC", manufactured early June 2012.
    Stuff: Everything but Bose & Navigation
    Hydrocarbons: ~101 gallons burned @ 25,450 mi. on the odometer - mostly used on road trips and ERDTLT.
    Lifetime MPG: 252 on MyVolt site; peaked at 340 before two winters and several long road trips.

"ERDTLT Mode" and "NO EV-ORIENTED TAX INCENTIVES"
    Just two more reasons to move south, and out of Wisconsin!!

2013 Volts should provide 10.2-10.8kwh from a full charge. You can view this usage on the screens. How the energy gets "spent" is entirely up the driver and the driving conditions. You should only be concerned if your total kwh used for one full charge is not in this range.
    Koz

C8906

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-o-Matic View Post
    Are you sure you don't mean "35-50"? That's what I recall hearing (mushy memory notwithstanding), and anecdotal stories of anything under 32 miles per charge seem exceedingly rare.
    Saghost is correct, GM started quoting 25-50 miles right around the time the EPA sticker numbers were released.
    Koz

C8906

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast