GM Volt Forum banner

MyLink Radio and a Smart Phone

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Whatstreet 
#1 ·
From the searching that I have accomplished, I think that I know the answer, but, I thought that I would ask those who may be more familiar with the radio and its capabilities.

I want to order the 2016 Volt without Navigation and use my smart phone (Galaxy S3) to interface with the MyLink radio either via Bluetooth or USB connection and have a navigation app running on the smartphone which will be displayed on the DIC, so that I can easily see the dynamic map display on the large screen. I am currently testing the Navigator app and Google Maps or Be-On-Road. Another app that I will be testing is Waze. These tests are conducted (carefully) on my smartphone resting on my lap as I drive my daughter’s Yaris.

I know that the capability is there in the Spark and Sonic with an app called BringGo ($60 for the app with annual map upgrades in years two and three). But I don’t think that the capability has been implimented in the MyLink radio used in the other GM models, forcing the ordering of Navigation if one wants the map displayed on the large screen. Alternatively, and with the expense of annual subscription costs, is OnStar with Turn-By-Turn (but I won’t be doing that!). Other alternatives such as Tom Tom are not of interest to me.

Your thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
Android Auto or MirrorLink promise to do these things but I have found few people who say that it works in either case.

Both standards use wifi for wireless HDMI and USB for key and touch screen inputs.

I think that tethering to USB is discouragement for some and what we really need is an entirely wireless solution before it really takes off.

Also, I can see that there might be some agendas for those who sell car navigation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.