MyLink Radio and a Smart Phone
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MyLink Radio and a Smart Phone

Default MyLink Radio and a Smart Phone

From the searching that I have accomplished, I think that I know the answer, but, I thought that I would ask those who may be more familiar with the radio and its capabilities.

I want to order the 2016 Volt without Navigation and use my smart phone (Galaxy S3) to interface with the MyLink radio either via Bluetooth or USB connection and have a navigation app running on the smartphone which will be displayed on the DIC, so that I can easily see the dynamic map display on the large screen. I am currently testing the Navigator app and Google Maps or Be-On-Road. Another app that I will be testing is Waze. These tests are conducted (carefully) on my smartphone resting on my lap as I drive my daughter’s Yaris.

I know that the capability is there in the Spark and Sonic with an app called BringGo ($60 for the app with annual map upgrades in years two and three). But I don’t think that the capability has been implimented in the MyLink radio used in the other GM models, forcing the ordering of Navigation if one wants the map displayed on the large screen. Alternatively, and with the expense of annual subscription costs, is OnStar with Turn-By-Turn (but I won’t be doing that!). Other alternatives such as Tom Tom are not of interest to me.

Your thoughts?

It would be nice if the BringGo app was available for the Volt but with the money they charge for nav, don't hold your breath.
    2014 Summit White Volt with black leather and dark accents.
    Loaded with all options including navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by jbakerjonathan View Post
    Your thoughts?
    I'd hope that Android Auto support is announced at Google I/O on Thursday.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Android Auto or MirrorLink promise to do these things but I have found few people who say that it works in either case.

Both standards use wifi for wireless HDMI and USB for key and touch screen inputs.

I think that tethering to USB is discouragement for some and what we really need is an entirely wireless solution before it really takes off.

Also, I can see that there might be some agendas for those who sell car navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatstreet View Post
    Both standards use wifi for wireless HDMI
    I'm 99.9% certain that Android Auto sends the video signal over USB. It has worked well enough in demos I've seen on YouTube using the NEX units from Pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by strab View Post
    I'm 99.9% certain that Android Auto sends the video signal over USB. It has worked well enough in demos I've seen on YouTube using the NEX units from Pioneer.
    I would LOVE to have Android Auto in the 2016 Volt. It would do exactly what I want! However, the capability to interact with Android Auto has to be built into the car, meaning that GM would have to cooperate and be agreeable. Does anyone think that is going to happen?

I am more and more leaning toward not getting Navigation in the car that I buy and using my Galaxy S3. Aside from the apps I mentioned, are there others that should be looked at?

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jbakerjonathan View Post
    I would LOVE to have Android Auto in the 2016 Volt. It would do exactly what I want! However, the capability to interact with Android Auto has to be built into the car, meaning that GM would have to cooperate and be agreeable. Does anyone think that is going to happen?

I am more and more leaning toward not getting Navigation in the car that I buy and using my Galaxy S3. Aside from the apps I mentioned, are there others that should be looked at?

Any replies will be much appreciated.
    I would appreciate more Smartphone integration in MyLink also. The Chevrolet website for the 2016 Volt teased about this, but was later changed to not mentioning it. Here is a thread where it was discussed.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....Link&p=2421905

I suppose they could add it back, but the fact that they removed it implies to me that it won't be available on this model year.

There is always the cell phone holder and charging cable. I haven't decided whether or not to get the navigation option until I have seen it.

By the way you need Android 5.0 to make it work, so not many have used the car infotainment systems for video casting.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text