GM Volt Forum banner

Help locating a charger in northern virginia

8K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  carlosdelvaca 
#1 ·
Address
220 20th St S, Arlington, Virginia 22202, United States

Chargepoint identifies the above as having a free charger in Crystal City, Virginia

I looked last night and could not find....i pulled into the parking garage with this address but attendant claimed ignorance...

Do any of my fellow va/dc/md owners know where this charger is?

Thanks very much

Dave

#2 ·
There are about 5 stations in the Crystal City area. Here's one, by the Chipotle restaurant: http://carstations.com/14590

Use a better charger mapping service. I like CarStations.com -- linked in my sig :)

Recargo.com is also very good. PlugShare is garbage.

ChargePoint and Blink are even worse, because they only show you their own chargers!

(And welcome to Volt ownership! You might want to read the FAQ, there's LOTS of information in there about your awesome new car ... See link below.)

#5 ·
I've never found the one at 20th Street. It seems like a lot of them in Crystal City are above ground. There's one across from Chipotle just up from 23rd street. And there's one at 2345 Crystal Drive above ground right before the bend around to Starbucks (if you are heading North in the lot in front of 2345). There's also on in the garage at 2345 but it's typically in use by the property management company.

If you find the one on 20th street, can you please post up some detail on where it is? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#17 ·
There's also on in the garage at 2345 but it's typically in use by the property management company.
Update. Spent some time at 2345 Crystal Drive's parking garage the other day. There is another charger for use there that is in the first row of the green section, right by the door leading to the elevator stack for the Sport and Health and Ruth Chris. Used it for two days last week.

#6 ·
Not exactly in your neck of the woods, but there is a new Mom's Organic Market in Merrifield, VA. The new store is located in the Mosaic District at the intersection of Rt. 29 (Lee Highway) and Eskridge Road.

On the first floor of the parking garage there are FOUR free chargers. This is only a few minutes away from the Walgreens on Nutley St. which also has one free charger.

It's nice to see additional chargers going in.

#7 ·
Ari

I just found out tonight about these chargers. I will now have to check the various establishments in the area. Do you know if there are any sports bars with HD around there?

#8 ·
I went there last Sunday just to check it out. There is a hotel nearby and a Home Dept across the street. I would not recommend crossing the road as there are no walk signal. The Walgreens is a much better bet as there is a Glory Days Grill across the street with a nice cross signal. Of course with only one charger it is possible it is used. I must have gone there 10-15 times and only once did I see another vehicle there (a Leaf) It was also during the Derecho storm back in June when there was widespread power outages so I figure the owner really needed the charge!

#9 ·
I usually use the charger at Walgreens for a couple hours each weekend and hang out at the Glory Days Grill. I have been fortunate that the charger has always been vacant.

I was talking to someone this evening and she told me about the new Moms. She alluded to a couple other food outlets, along with a new high end movie theater.

I will have to check it out myself in the next week or so. It is only about 4 miles from my house, so a good sports bar nearby will have me as a frequent customer. Maybe I will see you there!

#10 ·
The best one is the other Walgreens in Vienna as there are a lot of restaurants nearby. I have never seen the one in Vienna in use.

#11 · (Edited)
I just found out that around the corner from there is the Mosaic District and there are 7 free chargers in the parking garage and parking is free. There are a lot of restaurants there. That's amazing, 11 chargers within a few minutes walk of each other!

It is also about a 15min walk from the Dunn Loring Metro station. I know where I am going to be parking from now on when I need to take the DC Metro!

http://mosaicdistrict.com/find-visit

Public Parking
Parking is free, all day and night.

* 2 garages
* Complimentary Electric Car Charging Stations (Ground Floor)
* 1,900 Spaces
* 1 100-space Surface Lot
* 53 On-Street Spaces

#12 ·
Ari

I stopped in at Moms this morning and saw the four in the Moms lot and three of them in the Target garage on the ground level. Where are the other 4?

#13 · (Edited)
I haven't been there yet, will definitely go this weekend. It is in the parking garage at the Mosaic District. One of my co-workers lives right there. I just found out that the Angelika Film Center Mosaic just opened as well. http://www.mosaicdistrict.com/explore/retailers/angelika

The chargers at the Mosaic District are on Plugshare. Assuming the location is correct it is located here:

https://maps.google.com/?daddr=38.873562,-77.228378

I did not know about the Target. It is not even in google maps yet. That brings the total chargers in this area to a whopping 14! Unless the ones for target are actually the same garage.

Edit. It could be that whoever put it in plugshare is counting the Target ones and the Mom's ones together which means there are only a total of 7 chargers.

#16 ·
I went to see Argo last night and of the 7 chargers there, 6 were ICEd. It really is a shame that none of the spots are marked as EV only. I called SemaCharge and mentioned to them that they should look into having those spots marked as EV only. It doesn't do any good to have public chargers and not be able to reach them. With so many floors to the garage, I would have been happy if they put the chargers on the second floor so there would have been a less likelihood of them being blocked.

#18 ·
Ari

Saw you charging last night at Mom's. My wife and I stopped in and did some shopping there and had dinner at Four Sisters Vietnamese. When I got there one of the ICEd spots you mentioned was free and we parked there. After dinner I saw you were still parked and charging so I guessed you were at the show. I haven't been to the new one there yet and have heard it is pretty upscale. How did you like it?

#20 ·
Four Sisters is really good. They used to be near us at Seven Corners and moved a few years ago to Merrifield. Last week, I saw one of the supervisors for the development. He saw me using one of the chargers in the Target lot. He didn't know much about EVs and charging. I told him they need some signage because as you indicated, most of the chargers are always ICEd. He said he would bring it up at the next development meeting.

I hope they act quickly. I plan to frequent the stores in this development, but I won't if I can never get a charging spot.

#21 ·
I inquired at the front desk of the apartment building of 220 20th St. South. They do have a charger in their garage, but it's for residents only.

I parked at one of the stations at 23rd and Crystal--as mentioned, there's a level 2 out by the Chipotle, and a level 2 and a level 1 on the Starbucks/Ruth's Chris side. They are posted "charging permit required," but just call the property management company at the number on the sign, and they'll take your information over the phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.