GM Volt Forum banner

DVD Player?

10K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  GBRR 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen a thread on this subject yet . . . is it true you can watch a DVD on the center console display PROVIDED the Volt is still in PARK? If so, does it sap the battery any more than just listening to the radio? And while on the subject, can you record a movie to the HDD. 30GBs (several dozen DVDs) is a lot of storage, and I don't use it to store music.

#2 ·
Yes you can watch a DVD in park and they sound GREAT. Sure it's going to use a tad more power due to screen usage but it's miniscule compared to the a/c or electric drive motor.

I'm sure someone or some company will come up with a hack to use it in Drive as they have with in other cars.

#3 ·
The Volt entertainment system may not allow local storage of DVD as video files, but I posted that it should allow recording video from the rear view camera, together with a recommended new dash camera. Then the system can store hours of images as the driver moves along the roads, recording possibly everything that happens in front, at the rear, and even inside the vehicle just for safety and accident documentation purposes. So if Volt drivers do get involved in an accident, they have the video evidence of what actually happened and confront any claims against them in court.

And if the Volt was borrowed (with or without permission), the interior view will document what the driver was doing (good for watching your teenage or young drivers).

#4 · (Edited)
You can watch a DVD when in Park on a 2012 model (and on 2011 model as well I believe). Not sure on 2013 model, as I think they changed some things on the 2013, and they may have done away with the DVD video playback functionality. Can any 2013 owner chime in here and say whether or not DVD videos play on a 2013 model?

#5 ·
And while on the subject, can you record a movie to the HDD.
No. Play only.

Might want to check out your Owners Manual. There's quite a bit about playing DVD's and other discs.

#9 ·
2012 with DVD was only with the Navi option, which also had a 30GB HDD.

2013 Volt with Navi has no 30GB HDD, and also has no DVD support.

2012 had prominent text on the center console about the Dolby Digital surround sound and DVD Disc support- 2013 has none of this.
I've also tried data DVD with MP3's, as well as a video DVD in the 2013 w/ Navi, and can confirm neither works.

#11 ·
wtf why they did this ? I got 2015 1 gen chevy volt and I burned 3 DVDs, I thought It was me, writing disk wrong :/

I do not have NAV button, but there is a Disk slot, if i put dvd it tells disk error.
maybe I can change it with computer dvd, maybe it will help ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.