Beep, Chirp, Chime, Horn. A guide to what your Volt is saying.
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Beep, Chirp, Chime, Horn. A guide to what your Volt is saying.

Default Beep, Chirp, Chime, Horn. A guide to what your Volt is saying.

Seems like a tone/chirp/beep cheat sheet would be handy. I'll start.

BEEPS
    • High-toned beeps from the front speakers are for objects detected near the front bumper. (Ultrasonic Parking Assist)
    • Low-toned beeps from the rear speakers are for objects detected near the rear bumper. (Ultrasonic Parking Assist)
    • Beep with voice prompt. Navigation System Voice Recognition System
    • Several Beeps. Forward Collision Alert (FCA) System tailgating alert. Your vehicle is approaching another vehicle too rapidly, the red FCA display will flash. 2013 MY.
    • Three Beeps. Lane Departure Warning (LDW). The vehicle crossed a detected lane marking, the LDW
      indicator will flash. The Owners Manual may have a typo, also see Three Chimes. 2013 MY.
    • Four Beeps. There is insufficient time to fully charge by departure time.
    CHIMING (aka BONGING)
    Chime volume can be changed. Owners Manual: Instruments and Controls > Vehicle Personalization > Comfort and Convenience > Chime Volume. Not sure which of the chimes this will affect.
    • Chime. Delayed Locking. If delayed locking is enabled, a door or hatch is open when the doors are locked with the power door lock switch
    • Chime. Electric Parking Brake. The EPB is applied while the vehicle is in motion. The DIC message RELEASE PARKING BRAKE will be displayed.
    • Chime. Electric Parking Brake. Attempting to release the EPB without the brake pedal applied. The DIC message STEP ON BRAKE TO RELEASE PARK BRAKE will be displayed.
    • Chime. General Navigation Commands. The system responds to commands when feedback is OFF.
    • Three Chimes. Lane Departure Warning (LDW). The vehicle crosses a detected lane marking without using the turn signal. The LDW indicator will change to amber, flash.
    • Four Chimes. Driving and Operating. Entering the car, the key fob is in the car.
    • Five Chimes. Driver or Passenger Safety Belt. 1) The driver or a passenger is unbuckled, or 2) an object is on the seat such as a briefcase, handbag, grocery bag, laptop, iPad, cell phone, or other electronic device, etc.
    • Continuous Chiming. Driving and Operating. The driver door is opened while the vehicle is in ON/RUN.
    • Continuous Chiming. ENGINE OVERHEATED —TURN VEHICLE OFF. The engine cooling system reached unsafe temperatures for operation.
    CHIRPING
    • One Horn Chirp. Charging has begun.
    • One Horn Chirp. Tire Pressure Monitoring System Relearn procedure. Confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
    • Two Horn Chirps. Charging is delayed, scheduled to begin later.
    • Three Horn Chirps. Setting Panic Alarm. The exterior lamps flash and the horn chirps three times.
    • Three Rapid Horn Chirps. The RKE transmitter(key fob) was left in the vehicle. This feature can be turned off. Owners Manual: Instruments and Controls > Vehicle Personalization > Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting > Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder. Car: Config > Vehicle > Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting > Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder [uncheck]
    • Four Horn Chirps. Insufficient time to fully charge by departure time
    • Repeated Horn Chirps. Electricity was interrupted before charging was complete.
    HORN HONKING
    • Soft‐note Horn. The Pedestrian Friendly Alert.
    • One Horn. Remote Lock Feedback. User configurable setting.
    • Horn. Panic Alarm pressed and held for three seconds. The horn sounds and the turn signals flash for 30 seconds.
    • Two Rapid Honks. Key left in car.
    • Three Rapid Honks. "Your car is still on!" Driver exited the car with the key and closed the door while the car is still on. 2014 and later, and those 2011-2013 that opted for the "Unintended Car Running" recall software update.
    • Two Horns. Tire Pressure Monitoring System Relearn procedure. The receiver is in relearn mode, or indicates the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active.
    • 30 Second Horn. Anti-theft Alarm System. An attempt was made to open the doors, hatch, or hood while the alarm system was armed.
    • Continuous Horn. Charge cord unplugged alarm. The car is locked and the charge cord plugged in. Unlock door before unplugging. To disable the "unplugged" alarm on a 2011 you must take it to the dealer. Or, lock the door with the medal key and it's disabled for that lock/charge session. (Unknown if the key method also disables the horn chirping for power loss during a charge.)
    GURGLING, WHIRRING, WHOOSHING
    • Front of car. The car is heating/cooling the battery coolant and circulating it. This can happen plugged in or not.
    • Rear of car. Can sound like a piston. The gas tank pressurization system may be engaged to pressurizing the gas tank.
    CLICKING
    • Rapid clicking, drivers side rear. Heard when approaching the Volt with the key fob. (2012 +)

SILENCE
    • Car is on. Or off. Check the Blue power button if unsure. Enjoy. :-)

Please let me know if some Chimes/bongs, etc are nonstop or have a finite number. Not sure what the Panic Horn sounds like. Sure I could test all these, but now it's your turn, haha. I'll update the list as needed. Feel free to contribute which can be turned off by driver configuration. Also missing are the new safety lane departure sounds.
    Last edited by Steverino; 07-07-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Great list! Don't forget BONG BONG BONG when you leave the car on and exit the car or leave the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Great list! Don't forget BONG BONG BONG when you leave the car on and exit the car or leave the door open.
    That is listed as "Chime. Driving and Operating. The driver door is opened while the vehicle is in ON/RUN." I'm not sure if all chimes sound the same. I'll include bong in the description.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Nice post!
    2012 / Silver Ice Metallic / Neutral Leather / Navigation / Bose / Hard Drive / Rear Camera / Park Assist / Sirius satellite radio / Polished Forged Wheels / WeatherTech Floor Liners / Volt All Weather Rubber Cargo Mat / Dual Cargo Nets / Volt Door Sill Plates / Battery Enhancement / StopSafe ECU (rear end accident avoidance system) / Diamond Gloss polymeric resin / Ziebart front bumper and hood paint protection film / XPel Door Edge and Doorsill Guards /
    James McQuaid

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Silver View Post
    I wish I knew how to disable a lot of the chirps. The most obnoxious is the "keys left in the car." I like to leave my keys in my Volt at home. Only Navy SEALS could steal my Volt where I live... (and probably Navy geeks are the only ones who can disable this particular annoying set of chirps...)
    In my 2011 Volt:

Config --> Vehicle --> Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting --> Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder [uncheck]

Awesome post, Steverino!
    My 2012 Blue Topaz Metallic Volt... "C YA OPEC"... is GONE!
    *bzzt* -- Lease over! Whatta bummer! We had 33,200 great miles together.
    Lifetime MPG 270+, 90% EV driving bliss! May she serve her new owner well.

Her replacement: a new 2014 Black Volt: "C YA OPEC mk.2"!
    10,300 miles so far, 88% on electricity, and 250 lifetime MPG!

Lookin' forward to finding NEW roads and a thousand more "Volt Smiles!"

I'm looking for a way to disable the "door open" chime after a few seconds. There is no need to keep nagging me forever and ever until I begin to entertain violent fantasies.

My last vehicle had an electromechanical buzzer. I packed clay around it to reduce the obnoxious factor. It would be so easy to fix in software, but I don't see GM doing this (as this feature is likely designed by lawyers and nanny regulators instead of engineers).

So I am thinking about a time delay relay in series with the door switch. Has anyone tried this?

Great Post. Thank you.

I'm going to ask Chris C to add it to the FAQ he maintains.

You realize you just became the Volt Whisperer, right?

Seriously, thanks for putting this all together in one place. I'd heard most of it before, but it's never been assembled that I've seen.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

Thanks, the explanations are great.
    Volt White 2012
    Prius 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size