GM Volt Forum banner

Is gas door suspose to fling open like the charge door?

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  saghost 
#1 ·
I put gas in for first time the other day and the door didn't spring open, is this correct? Odd that they would make the charge door fling but not the gas. I had to pull it open after pushing the open button.

#8 ·
I had to fill up last week since I was going out of town. Wow, $4.49/gal!!! I'd forgotten about all of that gas stuff.

#9 ·
I had to put some gas in recently. Some smarty at the pump said "I thought you weren't supposed to need to fill up!". When I pointed out that I only needed 6 gallons and I hadn't filled in about 2 months he seemed to run out of commentary...

#11 ·
@Ladogaboy: Ummm, I don't know... Gas weighs over 6lbs/gal, so with a full tank, you're carrying some extra weight you don't need. Just sayin'... At our get-together on Saturday, most folks said they carried about a half-tank normally.

#12 ·
As a mechanic (I know, in a past life..) You are better off to keep the tank Full, or run on the "top half" of the thing. Several reasons, but the two biggest are: Less condensation in the tank (not sure this applies when the system is Pressurized..) and better for the electric (in tank) fuel pump to stay submerged. The extra weight (about 8 lb per gallon, depending..) is negligible.

#14 ·
d better for the electric (in tank) fuel pump to stay submerged. The extra weight (about 8 lb per gallon, depending..) is negligible.
Actually, GM recommends in their maximizing efficiency tips on their myvolt.com website to keep the tank only 1/3 full. Here's a copy/paste from the Maintenance tab on the tips page:

Always keep your tires properly inflated and your vehicle properly aligned.
The weight of excess cargo in your vehicle affects efficiency and range, so avoid carrying more than is needed.
If you are not using fuel regularly, consider keeping the tank only 1/3 full. Excess fuel weight impacts efficiency and range.
Use premium fuel. Use of regular fuel can result in a fuel economy reduction.
Avoid unnecessary use of electrical accessories. Power used for functions other than propelling the vehicle reduces EV range.
Using a rooftop carrier reduces efficiency due to additional weight and drag.

#13 ·
@Rons2013: I've heard that side of the 'argument', too. A quandary. The tank is 9+gal something. I see your point.

#15 ·
A full tank in the Volt is only about 60 lbs, so running at a half tank saves you maybe 30 lbs. In my case, I go on semi-regular long trips, and it's easier to start off on a full tank. Last time, I started off on a near empty tank. It's not a big deal, but kind of like starting off on the wrong foot. I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

#16 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.