Anyone being rude to you on or off the road because of your Volt?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Anyone being rude to you on or off the road because of your Volt?

Default Anyone being rude to you on or off the road because of your Volt?

This morning a motorcyclist crossed over a lane to get in front of me and shoot me the bird. Then he took off.

I was with the flow of traffic and am sure I didn't cut him off.

I would sure hate to think some people would take their "anti-Volt" free speech to this level.
    Peter

2013 Black Volt, Premium Trim Package, Bose speakers
    Level 2 charger -- GE Wattstation

I will make a link to a previous post I made that turned out positive
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....at-a-stoplight

In general, the motorcyclist is at the other end of ICE ideological spectrum from us. The noisier the better. I am a half mile off the main road through my town, but motorcyclists ensure I hear them as they pass through. I know someone who installs expensive (and loud) exhaust systems on vehicles. He warns them that they are legal to install- but not to use (huh, makes lots of sense there) because they are so loud that cops will cite you for them. No matter, they spend lots of cash to feel impressive with all the noise they make. With that kind of mentality, our Volts are an insult to their way of thinking. Some pride themselves on their frugal gas mileage, but our Volts put them to shame. I just don't think our Volts will fit [noise=testosterone] thinking for quite some time. Like the motorcyclists my wife met up with, show them some stand still torque and make them learn differently.
    2012 Volt (Red) 'SUN FUEL'/2012 Volt (White) 'OVR OIL'/2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Driving Without Destruction

Default Maybe it was our imagination, but...

Yeah, we've had two incidents. First, my wife was coming out of a business driveway when two young guys in a big truck with a big flag on it drove in front of her, slowed to a stop and blocked her from leaving. They looked at the car, said something to each other, then both started yelling something -- she wasn't sure what -- and started giving her the thumbs down sign. She said she didn't feel threatened or anything. She simply smiled, flipped them off and swerved around them.

A few weeks later we were driving just a mile or so from our house and we came to a four way stop. There was a big four wheel drive monster truck slowly rolling up to our right, but clearly we were there first. I mean, this guy was fifty feet back from the stop sign when we were already stopped and ready to proceed. We went ahead and he floored it and ran the stop sign. We slammed on the brakes just in time and he pulled in front of us and stopped and just glared at us. Really weird -- the guy was easily 60 or 65, not some testosterone-fueled punk who'd just been yelled at by his mom...

Imagination? Probably. But listening to the vitriol lately you have to wonder.
    What Global Warming? (Uh, is it hot in here or is it just me?)

2012 Diamond Tricoat
    2 crummy trucks
    1 crummy camper van

Advertisement

I've been cutoff and "mad dogged" by a few people on the road. It's never happened in person, outside of the car while not driving. Maybe it's my countenance or the fact that half of my clothes are martial arts related, but people don't seem to be nearly as aggressive or antagonistic in person.

The worst that happened is that an older gentleman (or, I guess, scoundrel) cut me off as I was starting to pass a semi. Then, about halfway through passing the semi, he hit his brakes pretty hard. Luckily, I freeway drive in L and the brakes on the Volt are apparently far better than his Accord's, so the 20 mph slowdown didn't eat too much out of my cushion. Then, after passing the semi, I passed said scoundrel, and he gave me a very nasty look. I think I heard Rush playing on his radio...

I just smile inside for stuff like this because I pass so dang many gas stations every day. Silly but it still makes me happy with my first GM Chevrolet purchase of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbpete View Post
    This morning a motorcyclist crossed over a lane to get in front of me and shoot me the bird. Then he took off.

I was with the flow of traffic and am sure I didn't cut him off.

I would sure hate to think some people would take their "anti-Volt" free speech to this level.
    Yes, but mostly a verbal conversation. Do what I do. When someone starts with Obamacar and taxpayer dollars and so on, I just smile at them and say "Yeah! Don't that just pi$$ you off?" And use the word don't instead of doesn't. That irritates them even more.
    2012 Volt
    2013 Cadillac ATS

There is a limitation on the freedom of speech if such speech is hate. Also someone's freedom of speech does not trump my freedom for not listening to them. If they block your way, that is assault, it is a crime, and it must be treated as such.

I had a guy yell at me something about an Obama car, didn't hear all of what he said but probably wasn't nice considering his gestures and facial expressions. Also had an incident a couple of weeks ago where a lady passes me then suddenly cut in front of me and hits her brakes. Pretty strange as it was late at night and there were only two cars on a rather wide 4 lane road. Not a road rage incident either as she came out of a side street after I passed her. Would have been interesting if there was a collision as I had video of the incident on my dash cam. She was stopped at a light a few miles down the road so I rolled down my window to ask why she did this but she just stared straight ahead and pretended I wasn't there.

Hopefully after the elections the media will stop getting these people so angry and we can all go about our business peacefully.

I haven't had any negative experiences at all. It seems most people on the road are oblivious and don't recognize the car at all. I do get a number of questions and comments in parking lots, but everything has been positive.
    Love My Volt!

Blue Topaz, Black/Ceramic White Leather, Nav 2012
    New Hampshire

Advertisement

I may have had one. I was on the freeway and this pickup truck in front of me slowed way down. No problem, I just thought he was a dumb driver. But then I started thinking it was more than that. If I sped up to go past him on the left or right he'd move over to block me. If I moved over and sped up he would match my speed and then move in front of me. After seeing the movie five or six times, I decided it wasn't happenstance and he was intentionally being annoying, so I left my zen state, floored it, and left him in the dust. He didn't try to catch up at that point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast