GM Volt Forum banner

Best LRR Replacement Tire?

16K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  18961 
#1 ·
Whats the latest greatest replacement tire for our cars?
I live in a no-snow climate and am most interested in maximizing AER.

#2 ·
Check out this older thread

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?126385-Best-tire-replacement

Also, be aware if you end up getting goodyears, there are several types of assurance LRRs. My car happened to be outfitted with 3 of one type and 1 of another (slightly wider and tread lasts much longer) from the factory. I'm still getting ignored by the dealership and contacting the volt advisor got deflected back to the dealership. As a result I'm never buying another vehicle or taking my car in for service at Bill Abbotts in Monticello, IL, instead I'm taking my car for repairs in a city 20 miles away where they treat me much better. Although I have over 25k miles on these tires, it wasn't until the uneven wear appeared that I understood there was a difference, despite the identical tire sizes printed on the sidewall. One is wider than the other, and there is a different number of plys between the two.

#3 ·
My next tires will likely be Bridgestone DriveGuard Run Flat Tires. They come in the Volt's stock P215/55R/17 size. Waiting on the follow up review by Jim in Tucson.

I'm willing to give up some electric range to avoid the flatbed on the interstate.

#4 ·
He's my review after 5,000 miles. They are much quieter than the Assurances and have better grip on dry surfaces and in snow. They are us comfortable as the Assurances, unlike the stories you hear about some run flats. The only downside is that you pay a 10% mileage premium, from 4.4 m/KwH to 4m/KwH.

I put them on my wife's car when she had a non repairable flat and she loves them, as do I. The piece of mind they give her is immeasurable and so is mine.

#5 ·
The Michelin Energy Saver A/S has a good reputation but was not available for the Volt when I got my last set of tires. GM will now be using these at the factory for the 2016 Volt so I'm hoping they will be available when I need my next set of tires in a year or so. Otherwise, the original Goodyear tires seem to be a good compromise that emphasizes mpg plus relatively good light winter use. The Bridgestone tires used OEM on the Nissan LEAF have good mpg, are quiet, and have good traction but have a reputation for wearing quickly, having a higher than usual problem with sidewall failures, and having only average handling feel. I replaced my original tires with Michelin MXV4 but took an initial significant mpg hit although the tires were otherwise very good. They have been discontinued in favor the the Premiere A/S.

#12 ·
If you're most interested in maximizing efficiency and AER, definitely DON'T get these.

Despite the fact that the MXV4 H's were given the top rating ("excellent") for rolling resistance by Consumer Reports, they are far worse than the stock Goodyears. When I got them, I expected I might see a small (1-2 mile) reduction in AER, but it turned out to be more like 6-8 miles. My best estimate is that it reduced my AER by ~15%.

I'm kinda hoping they wear out quickly so I can replace them with a true LRR tire. :p

#9 ·
You haven't stated a dislike for the performance of the O.E. tires. Have they been satisfactory? Did they give long tread life? Assuming that you were satisfied, I would recommend the O.E. tires again. As another has pointed out, make sure when ordering that you are getting O.E. Tirerack is selling the non-O.E. tire for $2 less than the O.E. But, if you compare the specs, you will see that the O.E. tire is lighter by 4 pounds, has 1/32 inch less tread depth and is narrower by 1.2 inches. Both are LRR but I would imagine that there would be a slight decrease in efficiency by using the non-O.E. tires. It's up to you.

#10 ·
I have been pleased with the OE tires, have 55,000 mile on them, and may go up to another 5,000 - tread depth at 5/32, but spring rains are moving in.

I would like a quieter tire, but may go back with the OE - thanks for pointing out the differences between two variants. I also think that the lighter weight and narrower weight are likely significant in improved AER.

I have experience with Michelin Energy Savers on a Prius and wish I could get them for our Volt.

#20 ·
I am happy with my Michelin Premier A/S tires. These are the replacement for the MXV4's. They are MUCH quieter and handle MUCH better than the OEM tires. Snow performance is also better, but the OP does not care about snow. I don't know about rain/wet performance, but I would assume they do well.

When I first got them I was seeing a drop of about 4-6 miles AER as compared to the OEM tires with 45K miles on them, but that has improved a bit to on the order of 3-4 miles. As I have read, I expect this to continue to improve as they wear.

If AER is your major factor, you might be better staying with the OEM tires. I wanted a better handling, quieter, LRR tire and could not be happier.

#22 ·
I've had great success with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on my Tesla. Numerous other Tesla owners rave about it, as well. When the time comes to replace the tires on my Volt, I'm getting these as well.

#24 ·
I put Michelin Premier A/V tires on my Volt at the beginning of our wet winters here in the PNW after 58,000 trouble fee miles from the OEM Goodyears and have seen little, if any, decline in AER. Maybe this because I put them on when my AER would take the greatest hit so it was difficult to notice any change. But, now that spring is here and the temp is warming up I am seeing little change in what I would expect from my AER. The Michelin's are also much quieter and have a much more solid feeling than the Goodyears. So, no complaints here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.