It's the little things
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's the little things

Default It's the little things

When we look at and test drive a new car we often notice the little things and dismiss them as just that, minor. If it's a negative item we rationalize it saying it's just a minor issue. If it's a plus we think that's cool but not a big deal. But after driving the car regularly those little things can really stand out.

My Acura TL had something I viewed as a minor annoyance when I test drove the car. After driving it for 3 years it was something that really annoyed me. When I start the car the warning about using the nav would come up on the screen. I'd have to press the menu button in to acknowledge it. Then the nav screen would come on. 90% of my driving is just to/from work. By now I think I know where I'm going so don't need the nav screen up. I'd rather have the audio display up. So my regular routine would become start the car, wait a minute so I can clear the nav warning, then hit the audio button to display my audio on the screen. Driving the Volt yesterday I reflected on how it's so nice to not have to do that anymore. When I start the Volt my audio is displayed, just how I left it when I turned it off. Ahhh, the little things!!

The little negative thing with the Volt that will probably really annoy me after a while is how the MY2013 defaults to 8A for charging and will have to be set to 12A each time. So far I've just been charging at 8A since I don't trust my outlet. But I'll be getting a new outlet installed on its own circuit and then will start charging at 12A.
    2013 Summit White: Premium Trim, Enhanced Safety Package 1, Nav, Bose

There's an easy solution to this annoyance... It just seems to me like an extra reason to invest a grand or so in a 220V charger.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

I would also recommend a 220 volt charger. Our Voltec unit at 490 dollars has worked flawlessly and for us setting it up was easy and inexpensive. It not only charges about three times as fast but uses less juice to recharge. Hope you have a great time with your Volt.

Advertisement

220, 221 - whatever it takes.

I have thought about getting a Level 2 charger. But with my driving habits I really don't need it. Usually once I'm home from work I don't go anywhere until the next morning when I leave for work. One of the reasons I wanted the Volt was for the gas savings. Buying a Level 2 charger would negate those savings. Plus I plan to move next year. If I do get an L2 EVSE it will probably be then.

One other little thing that I like about the Volt is charging my iPhone. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much charge my iPhone gets during my commute. I remember one day it was at 35% when I left work and when I got home it was around 70%.

Default A 120 outlet is all I really need with a Volt

Overnight charging - plenty. Plug in at work for a 9 hour shift - plenty of time. I haven't yet needed more. I think a much larger battery would put me there.
    America 1st - CHEVY VOLT, AMERICAN-MADE, AMERICAN-FUELED. White Diamond with everything.

My biggest "little thing" has to be the cup holders. It had to be 3 weeks into ownership before I realized that the cup holders come out for quick cleaning. No more coffee scum building up in the corners! I love this car.

Cool 220 221 Whatever it takes

Quote Originally Posted by Joule Thief View Post
    220, 221 - whatever it takes.
    For those who may not have gotten my reference - classic line from Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom
    http://youtu.be/iX3kxAA2L4Q

Quote Originally Posted by Silidus View Post
    My biggest "little thing" has to be the cup holders. It had to be 3 weeks into ownership before I realized that the cup holders come out for quick cleaning. No more coffee scum building up in the corners! I love this car.
    On my Rav4 that I leased the cup holders were one of the little things that drove me crazy! Although they had a spring-loaded lever, they did not do a good job of actually holding anything. The cup holders were too big for most cups/bottles and they would roll around. I ended up using the bottle holder on the door instead.

On the Volt, I'm not crazy about the position of the cup holders. Perhaps they're too high up or too far back toward the center console. But I find my hand keeps hitting my bottle when using the cup holder so I just use the one for the passenger instead.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Joule Thief View Post
    For those who may not have gotten my reference - classic line from Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom
    http://youtu.be/iX3kxAA2L4Q

I knew it was from a movie but couldn't place which one!

+ Reply to Thread