GM Volt Forum banner

How do you lease a car from an out of state dealer?

22K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jbfalaska 
#1 ·
I've talked to a dozen dealerships from all over the country and it seems that the only way to lease a Volt is through the dealer in your state. I'm in Tennessee and the dealers here don't move a lot of Volts and the prices are mediocre at best. I'm trying to shoot for $3500-4000 off MSRP on a 2012. Best I'm seeing here is maybe $1500.

The only other option I can think of is to register an LLC in that state and put the car in that LLC's name and sign as a guarantor on it. That's a bit complicated, how is everyone else doing it?

#3 ·
I live in NY and leased my first Volt from Criswell in Maryland. Only issue was USBank could not get the taxes calculated correctly. I found and sent the NY state DMV document to the dealer and they took car of it.

Criswell took car of registering the vehicle. Them also gave me a temporary plate so I could drive it home. Call Criswell chevrolet.

#4 ·
I live in NY and leased my first Volt from Criswell in Maryland. Only issue was USBank could not get the taxes calculated correctly. I found and sent the NY state DMV document to the dealer and they took car of it.

Criswell took car of registering the vehicle. Them also gave me a temporary plate so I could drive it home. Call Criswell chevrolet.
I too am from Syracuse and am seriously considering the Chevy Volt. Who did you deal with at Criswell Chevrolet? I have been thinking about a trip to Stingray Chevy but Maryland is a lot closer than Tampa. Could you tell me, did you shop here at the local dealers for your Volt and is that why you went out of state? Also how is the Volt in the snow? I work rotating shifts so many times I'm driving to and from work before the plows have hit the roads. I have a 2010 Prius and had to get 4 studded snows. My mileage took a hit but at least I am able to get to an from work. Thanks, Rick

#5 ·
I leased my 2011 Volt from an Austin, Texas dealer and drove it home to Chicago. They did all the paperwork and registration, paid taxes, etc., filed for plates…..

Only negative was they miscalculated the sales taxes by $500 and I got a letter from US BANK saying I owe the extra money (took 4 months for them to notify me).

So, I don't think there are any issues with out-of-state leasing other than a dealer who does not want to do the extra work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.