How do you lease a car from an out of state dealer?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you lease a car from an out of state dealer?

Default How do you lease a car from an out of state dealer?

I've talked to a dozen dealerships from all over the country and it seems that the only way to lease a Volt is through the dealer in your state. I'm in Tennessee and the dealers here don't move a lot of Volts and the prices are mediocre at best. I'm trying to shoot for $3500-4000 off MSRP on a 2012. Best I'm seeing here is maybe $1500.

The only other option I can think of is to register an LLC in that state and put the car in that LLC's name and sign as a guarantor on it. That's a bit complicated, how is everyone else doing it?

I've only purchased from out of state. The only hassle was going to the DMV in my state and registering the vehicle and paying taxes. Not hard.
    2012 Diamond White Chevy Volt

I live in NY and leased my first Volt from Criswell in Maryland. Only issue was USBank could not get the taxes calculated correctly. I found and sent the NY state DMV document to the dealer and they took car of it.

Criswell took car of registering the vehicle. Them also gave me a temporary plate so I could drive it home. Call Criswell chevrolet.
    2011 Black Volt # 613 Lifetime MPG 95 total miles 36,000 (Lease turned in)
    2011 Red Volt # 3699 Lifetime MPG 139 total miles 35,495
    2013 Red Hybrid Tahoe
    2014 Red ELR Lifetime MPG 250+ total miles 1008
    RIP [Red Volt # 1247 Lifetime MPG 99 total miles 3239]
    http://www.communityenergyinc.com/

Advertisement

I live in NY and leased my first Volt from Criswell in Maryland. Only issue was USBank could not get the taxes calculated correctly. I found and sent the NY state DMV document to the dealer and they took car of it.

Criswell took car of registering the vehicle. Them also gave me a temporary plate so I could drive it home. Call Criswell chevrolet.
    I too am from Syracuse and am seriously considering the Chevy Volt. Who did you deal with at Criswell Chevrolet? I have been thinking about a trip to Stingray Chevy but Maryland is a lot closer than Tampa. Could you tell me, did you shop here at the local dealers for your Volt and is that why you went out of state? Also how is the Volt in the snow? I work rotating shifts so many times I'm driving to and from work before the plows have hit the roads. I have a 2010 Prius and had to get 4 studded snows. My mileage took a hit but at least I am able to get to an from work. Thanks, Rick

I leased my 2011 Volt from an Austin, Texas dealer and drove it home to Chicago. They did all the paperwork and registration, paid taxes, etc., filed for plates…..

Only negative was they miscalculated the sales taxes by $500 and I got a letter from US BANK saying I owe the extra money (took 4 months for them to notify me).

So, I don't think there are any issues with out-of-state leasing other than a dealer who does not want to do the extra work.
    -------
    VIN # B2365 Chicago suburbs (purchased 4/15/2011 in Austin, Texas)
    240V Leviton Evr-Green 160 Home Charging Station installed 11/4/2011
    DASHDAQ for VOLT
    Toyota RAV4 EV #1775 Shoreline Blue July 25, 2013

With money and a pen. Go get one - 2 days left to count towards yet another record month of sales.
    America 1st - CHEVY VOLT, AMERICAN-MADE, AMERICAN-FUELED. White Diamond with everything.

+ Reply to Thread