Trunk Organizer Allows Access to Charger
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trunk Organizer Allows Access to Charger

Default Trunk Organizer Allows Access to Charger

I made a trunk organizer for my Volt that does not interfere with access to the charger. I made it out of foam core board held together with hot glue and then painted it flat black. Elastic material stretched between the D-rings holds it in place. It holds a bottle of Windex, a roll of paper towels and reusable shopping bags. The compartment in the center is accessible by the rear seat passengers.

The walls were originally ten inches tall. But that was not practical so I cut them down to five inches. The forward wall is slanted to match the rear seat backs. White foam core was too jarring so I painted it black when I was done. Black foam core might be available. Use a new blade in your utility knife to cut the foam core.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Carlarm; 08-26-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling

Nice job, carlarm. Thanks for sharing the pic! Yes, black foam core is available. I initially used that with some velcro to make an inexpensive divider wall between the seats and cargo area.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 48,565 miles, 151 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 69%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 995 miles, 250
    MPG, 96% Electric, 4% gas, Saved 42 gal., 24 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

I am not as handy as you but I found this great organizer for $45 and it is extremely strong. The large size is a perfect fit. The sides fold down and spring up when needed and there are velcro dividers that can be shifted as applicable. I only have one in there but you could even place two back there for some serious grocery shopping!
    http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...nizers?mid=426

Advertisement

I like how this looks and how functional it is.
    If you are making another one, I would be interested.
    Thanks

Default Rola 59000 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Interior Organizer (25" x 15")

Quote Originally Posted by fredfung2 View Post
    I am not as handy as you but I found this great organizer for $45 and it is extremely strong. The large size is a perfect fit. The sides fold down and spring up when needed and there are velcro dividers that can be shifted as applicable. I only have one in there but you could even place two back there for some serious grocery shopping!
    http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...nizers?mid=426
    Picked up this very organizer from Amazon and received today. About the same price as linked above but I paid for it with some credit card points. Seems weighted enough to prevent any slippage. Easily folds down and should allow for a single trip into the house after going to the grocery. Let's hope it works as good as it looks. The dividers are also movable and positioned with Velcro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cory___E160205___ 2014 White Diamond Tricoat___Black Leather
    VoltStats ___ Volt Forum FAQ ___ Volt Acronyms and Abbrev.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltairean View Post
    Picked up this very organizer from Amazon and received today. About the same price as linked above but I paid for it with some credit card points. Seems weighted enough to prevent any slippage. Easily folds down and should allow for a single trip into the house after going to the grocery. Let's hope it works as good as it looks. The dividers are also movable and positioned with Velcro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Nice. With the clippy things on the sides, I wonder if someone could find the opposite connectors and then wrap an anchor through the D rings on the side. I'd like something like this for grocery getting. I used to just pile groceries on the floor behind the driver's seat in my Prius, but there's quite a bit less space in the Volt, so I've taken to using the trunk. I got the net thingie and use it folded in half and suspended on the round anchors, but it's not very high capacity. Something like the MOVE organizer might be a better idea!
    Joined GM-Volt.com in 2008. Bought a Volt in 2013!

2013 Summit White

"The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them; the weak would become a prey to the strong." -Thomas Paine

Worked very well when I picked up a couple melons from the market yesterday.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Cory___E160205___ 2014 White Diamond Tricoat___Black Leather
    VoltStats ___ Volt Forum FAQ ___ Volt Acronyms and Abbrev.

+ Reply to Thread