Re-Orient the Charger door
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-Orient the Charger door

Default Re-Orient the Charger door

If you re-orient the hinge so that when you are charging the door causes ice and rain to shed off the connector will no doubt
    improve reliability.

It also seems too fancy, at least my 2012, with more complicated electrical plungers, and maybe not a powerful enough spring to open the door. Something simple like a gas door I have never had trouble opening in the cold as long as there isn't ice on it. I think later versions are more like a traditional gas filler door?

Honestly though, a tiny amount of silicone spray on the plunger fixed mine no problem. Something to keep friction down. As long as I don't wash my car in sub 20 temperatures I haven't had much issue with ice. I suppose an ice storm or something would be a problem, but that is for gas as well. Only difference is you might gas up once a week instead of every day, so might not be as annoying for gas door cover.

Quote Originally Posted by viking79 View Post
    It also seems too fancy, at least my 2012, with more complicated electrical plungers, and maybe not a powerful enough spring to open the door. Something simple like a gas door I have never had trouble opening in the cold as long as there isn't ice on it. I think later versions are more like a traditional gas filler door?

Honestly though, a tiny amount of silicone spray on the plunger fixed mine no problem. Something to keep friction down. As long as I don't wash my car in sub 20 temperatures I haven't had much issue with ice. I suppose an ice storm or something would be a problem, but that is for gas as well. Only difference is you might gas up once a week instead of every day, so might not be as annoying for gas door cover.
    2014 and up have the traditional 'push to open' ports. The 2016 Volt also has the manual charge port.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    My Bolt EV blog: Hidden Content
    cleantechnica.com and electrek.co: you suck, don't link my stuff

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

A door with a hinge at the top really would not do much if anything to shed water. You might keep part of the top of the charge handle dry, but water would still run down the fender into the charge port. Seems like effort with no gain to me.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    A door with a hinge at the top really would not do much if anything to shed water. You might keep part of the top of the charge handle dry, but water would still run down the fender into the charge port. Seems like effort with no gain to me.
    Not only that, the operator would probably strike the door with the charge cord handle and/or be unable to see the port for insertion.
    Driving a show car. Every day! Hidden Content

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3.2 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.6.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Loboc View Post
    Not only that, the operator would probably strike the door with the charge cord handle and/or be unable to see the port for insertion.
    Agreed.

There is a way to address the issue involving a magnetized cover that attaches to the fender above the inserted handle, extends out and over the handle and velcro's around it.

Could be flexible like a plastic sheet (from bag), could be semi-rigid plastic. But it only exists in my mind. :-) Do you have a few realtor business card refrigerator magnets? Cut them into strips, roll them into the edge of a plastic bag like a weighted curtain hem, glue/tape the hem so they don't fall out. You want them like train cars on a track, maybe 12-16" long.

After plugging in the car, snap the magnet end on the car fender in a curve around the handle and attach the opposite end of the plastic sheet to the handle by wrapping the plastic around it and securing with one of those velcro computer cord managers.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320

Question: is there a problem here that really needs solving?

Something like this should work...

Quote Originally Posted by timoshev View Post
    Question: is there a problem here that really needs solving?
    Wet, snow covered, or iced-up handle is about all I can think of. Of those, iced-up handle could be a pain, as could a snowed packed charge port.

The bomber refueling port beats my plastic bag idea. Do you suppose it would cost much
    B3320

12. Advertisement

Steverino, what you described is EXACTLY what I have done to keep water out of my charge port!

I use a ziplock bag and taped some of those weak, flexible magnets ( think they came with a Rock Auto order...)inside the bag. This get stuck to the car above the charge port, and keeps the water away. I also use a small ziplock bag that I slide over the open door, so that the seal and cover for he plug inlet don't collect water or ice. Using both, the system works great. On some windy days, I've used a velcro strap to hold the magnetized bag in place.

I've thought about building a waterproof cloth sleeve with stronger magnets that would live on the charge cord, and be big enough diameter to fit over the open charge door and charge port opening. But my quick and dirty plastic bags works well enough. I've also though Scarlett could do well to make something like this

For those that haven't guessed, I can only charge outdoors, and it's been snowy here in MA, so this helped a lot.

-Lumos

2014 Volt, purchased Sept 2014

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text