Fluid leak
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fluid leak

Default Fluid leak

I noticed today that my new Volt is leaking fluid. It is just in front of the drivers door, near the side of the car. It leaked quite a bit and when the liquid dries it is white and sticky. Anyone have any idea what it is. I thought it might be the AC but it leaked yesterday when I did not use it. Thanks for any help

Clay

AC definitely will spit out water, especially once you first get going. Smell it and check if water or something else. No fluid I know of would turn white and dry up no less, other than water.
    America 1st - CHEVY VOLT, AMERICAN-MADE, AMERICAN-FUELED. White Diamond with everything.

It's probably just water condensation. Even when the Volt is shut down... If you have it plugged in to your EVSE the temperature management system may run the AC to cool the battery. (And that can make more water condensate... Even with the car turned off.)

If you suspect that it might be coolant... You should check the coolant levels under the hood. Open the hood and look near the front center. You will see two small coolant tanks. As you face the engine the smaller left hand tank should be about 1/2 full at the plastic seam. The larger right hand tank should be filled to the top fill mark. If either tank is empty... Don't drive the car. Call the dealer and tow it in for inspection.

If the coolant tanks are filled correctly then you can drive the car in and ask your dealer to inspect it for peace of mind.

Advertisement

I will check the fluids when I get home. The fuid is clear when it is wet but dries white and is sticky

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by clayk59 View Post
    I will check the fluids when I get home. The fuid is clear when it is wet but dries white and is sticky

Clay
    I agree completely with Fulgerite's comments. It's likely just condensation running off either the air-conditioning evaporator and/or chiller unit for the battery cooling. There are no perfectly clear fluids in the Volt, especially those that would evaporate in your driveway. The whitness visible when it dries is usually minerals or other contaminants within the fluid or from the floor surface.
    Check your fluids, but feel free to visit your dealer if you are still concerned.
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 08-24-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Follow the Chevy Volt on Twitter! @WopOnTour

Sometimes when the AC condensate sits on my garage floor and dries it creates a white area that sometimes grows like a fine mold. There is probably something in your concrete acting the same way.
    2012 Cyber Grey - Mylink

Must also say, absolutely, when it's plugged in all night (in the summer anyway) when I first leave, there's lots of water condensation dumping into my driveway. Clear, odorless, but with minerals from the air I suppose. I think you're fine, but hey, if it smells like anything other than water, then it's worth a quick run through. .
    America 1st - CHEVY VOLT, AMERICAN-MADE, AMERICAN-FUELED. White Diamond with everything.

+ Reply to Thread