Installed: Curt Towing Hitch
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installed: Curt Towing Hitch

Default Installed: Curt Towing Hitch

Hi,
    There's a lot of interest in hitches for the Volt. I just installed the Curt Manufacturing hitch for the Volt and I'm really pleased. Price was just $137 on Amazon. It comes with the supporting hardware (but no tools). The instructions are superb - very easy to follow, with color photo inserts.

The installation tales about 2 hours. I didn't lift the Volt as ground clearance was adequate, and the required tools are minimal. The only step that makes you stop and think is when you need to cut out two slots from the under-carriage trim - a piece of plastic that covers the trunk pan. But even that step was easier than it looked.

I chose the hitch over a roof rack for my bikes as I didn't like the idea of the extra drag or the chance of wearing the paint job, which on a Volt is superb. The question of ground clearance comes up a lot - there's plenty. The front air damper always scrapes my driveway, but the hitch clears it easily.

I can recommend the Curt hitch - great price for a do-it-yourself owner. If you prefer, a pro will charge approx $150 for installation.
    See photo for reference:
    Volt Hitch Medium1.jpg
    Last edited by joetoocool; 08-21-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Max e-Range: 71miles on a single charge
    Hidden Content

how much does it weigh:

The hitch weighs approx 32 lbs, a little heavier than my mountain bike.
    Max e-Range: 71miles on a single charge
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I'm about to install a Curt Hitch on my 2014 Volt and I'm wondering if you are still satisfied with it? My biggest concern is the ground clearance. I have a Curt on my Prius and no problems.

Thanks

@joetoocool underneath the volt was there a ready hole to screw a bolt to attach the hitch on both left and right side?

I am wondering the same thing. Are the holes there to receive the hitch

Quote Originally Posted by joetoocool View Post
    Hi,
    There's a lot of interest in hitches for the Volt. I just installed the Curt Manufacturing hitch for the Volt and I'm really pleased. Price was just $137 on Amazon. It comes with the supporting hardware (but no tools). The instructions are superb - very easy to follow, with color photo inserts.

The installation tales about 2 hours. I didn't lift the Volt as ground clearance was adequate, and the required tools are minimal. The only step that makes you stop and think is when you need to cut out two slots from the under-carriage trim - a piece of plastic that covers the trunk pan. But even that step was easier than it looked.

I chose the hitch over a roof rack for my bikes as I didn't like the idea of the extra drag or the chance of wearing the paint job, which on a Volt is superb. The question of ground clearance comes up a lot - there's plenty. The front air damper always scrapes my driveway, but the hitch clears it easily.

I can recommend the Curt hitch - great price for a do-it-yourself owner. If you prefer, a pro will charge approx $150 for installation.
    See photo for reference:
    Attachment 6763
    Do you use the curt stabilizing straps with your rack? I just order a hitch and a bike rack and want to get some opinions from owners that have this hitch. Thanks for your time.
    2012 White Volt - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav, Bose.

I installed a Curt on my wife's MDX and was happy with it. Was even happier when she just got rear ended and the hitch took the brunt of the force, destroying the Accord that ran into her.

I could get an XL frame road bike inside my Prius, with the bike's front wheel off and the car's rear seats folded. It fit easily. I haven't tried it with the Volt--I don't ride bicycles anymore--but eyeballing it, the cargo area looks like about the same volume of space, in about the same shape.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBoy View Post
    I am wondering the same thing. Are the holes there to receive the hitch
    I just installed a Curt on my 2015. Instructions from Curt are not that good. They mention "drilling a hole forward..." on the driver-side without a precise location. SOLUTION: The passenger-side uses two factory installed pem nuts so I used them along with the drain plug bolt to temporarily hang the hitch. I then drilled the hole using the hitch as a locator for the hole (small bit, larger bit, etc.). Left the two passenger-side bolts in place, removed the drain-plug bolt, caulked the driver-side parts, and reassembled. Bought the Euro 1.25" tongue and so far have not heard a single drag going in/out of driveways and angled intersections.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text