Automatic Gain Control or Volume Control
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Gain Control or Volume Control

Default Automatic Gain Control or Volume Control

I have stored over 500 songs on the hard drive in my 2012 Volt. What I find really frustrating is that I am continuously adjusting the volume control to get the same volume level from songs from different artists. An automatic gain control such as commonly found with home theater systems to keep the volume level the same between regular programming and what is used for commercials would be a big help..
    2012 Crystal RED Volt VIN:#C-119110 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    02/21/2012 Ordered -- 04/09/2012 took it home

Quote Originally Posted by FrankIII View Post
    I have stored over 500 songs on the hard drive in my 2012 Volt. What I find really frustrating is that I am continuously adjusting the volume control to get the same volume level from songs from different artists. An automatic gain control such as commonly found with home theater systems to keep the volume level the same between regular programming and what is used for commercials would be a big help..
    In the config->radio there is an "automatic volume" level, though I thought it was just for adjsuting it for road noise.
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745. More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, 82.1 miles on one charge.

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

I have 1,500 songs in mine but don't have that issue. I did program it to get louder the faster I drive though. Try that first.

MrEnergyCzar
    My Chevy Volt Videos: One Year Review (click here) | Sexy Volt Car Wash (click here) |
    ................................Two Year Review (click here) | 10,000 Mile Review (click here) |
    34,000 miles on 150 gallons | 56 miles per dollar (100 MPD)
    My Social Media Sites: http://xeeme.com/MrEnergyCzar
    9/30/2011 Delivered. (8,154th Volt Produced)[/QUOTE]

Advertisement

How about running a normalization software on the files before you transfer to the Volt.

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...the-right-way/
    Pete Foss
    GM R&D
    www.skymasters.org

iTunes will "volume equalize" a playlist.

Does it change the mp3 files or just a volume setting in the playlist? More importantly does it carry over to the Volt (or other GM cars since I don't get to drive a Volt DRAT IT!)?
    Pete Foss
    GM R&D
    www.skymasters.org

MP3gain as mentioned in the article Pete linked to will change the mp3 files (just a volume adjustment in the header), will definitely work on all devices including Volt and any Apple devices. Highly recommended. Changes made via iTunes only work in iTunes & iPod/iPad, I think they are using a tag only read by Apple devices.

I play off of my iPhone thru the accessory port. Seems to maintain the volume equalization. Don't know what would happen if I moved the tunes off the iPhone onto the hard drive.

The Volt's "automatic" volume control settings just make the stereo play louder as you drive faster. The Volt's automatic setting does nothing to normalize the volume of songs stored on the HD or USB devices.

You point out a basic issue with listening to music in a car. Cars are noisy places. (Even the Volt.) I agree that some sort of audio compression setting would be useful. Radio stations have used audio compressors since the 1940's to maintain even volume on the air. (Compression is the same trick that audio engineers use to make commercials sound louder than everything else.) I think that an audio compressor setting would be very useful on a car stereo... Yet I have never seen a car stereo that offered compression settings.

iTunes does have a "Normalize" feature which analyzes all of the songs in your library and attempts to adjust the volume of each song to a normalized volume. Unfortunately... It has some drawbacks. In order to normalize the songs recorded with low volume iTunes will turn down all the rest of your music a bit to match the low volume songs. iTunes turns the soft songs up slightly and it turns the loud music down slightly. It seems to keep everything at about 80% of full volume. This means MANY songs will suffer slightly in sound quality. I have definitely noticed sound quality issues with the iTunes "soundcheck" option enabled. (Some songs play with added hiss... Some even distort slightly.) But in a car... I suppose soundcheck would be helpful. But even the iTunes "shoundcheck" will not help songs with a lot of dynamics. (Soft passages mixes with loud parts.) An audio compressor would be very helpful in a car.
    Last edited by Fulgerite; 08-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Advertisement

But I guess the question is, if I copy an iTunes "volume normalized" playlist off of my iPhone onto the Volt hard disk, will it stay normalized or will it revert to its native volumes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast