Clipper Creek HCS-40 Installed
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clipper Creek HCS-40 Installed

Default Clipper Creek HCS-40 Installed

Installed my Clipper Creek HCS-40. Great quality unit, feels very heavy duty. It is a bit larger than I imagined from online photographs, but nicely sized and 25 foot cord is great. Excellent unit for the price.

Charging started right away, it has a loud positive sounding relay which makes it pretty easy to tell when it starts, but also has the light on the unit and of course the horn chirp from the Volt.

I love this because it will allow me to charge outside my garage (working on a project and need my Volt outside) with the long cord, and the cord is also very high quality and flexible even in cold weather.

Glad I bought this unit, will update with how well it works for me in the future after I have had some time with it. Nice to be able to charge rapidly over lunch, especially in the winter when my range is limited.

The HCS-40 is overkill for the Volt, but my next vehicles will all be plug-in so I am expecting to get use from it in 3 years with a Bolt or Tesla 3 or whatever else happens to come out.

Install Costs:
    125' 8-2 NM-B wire: $100 (Used only 40 feet or so, but 125 foot spool was cheaper than 75 foot spool)
    40 Amp breaker: $10 (or less)
    Junction Box, 3/4" staples, 8 gauge wire nuts, 3/4" cutout clamp for back of box: $10 (or less)
    HCS-40: $616.73 (incl. ship.)
    Electrician: Varies.
    Total: about $736 + electrician. I will sell the left-over wire that I have and recoup maybe $60 of it.
    Last edited by viking79; 02-19-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Looks great.

Note, if the breakers are that cheap, you could get a 20 amp one to use if you are only using the Volt with it, better protection for the circuit.

Then you could switch to the 40 Amp one when/if you get a car that needs that much.
    Jerry, Fresno, California
    2017 Bolt ordered, Orange Sunburst, w/all options,
    #536 2011 Crystal Red Volt,
    2012 Diamond White Volt, saved from the crusher, gift to my niece.
    1975 Cosworth Vega, stored
    1988 Formula Fiero, also saved from the crusher, in the midst of restoration.

I love it! Why didn't I install this thing earlier? Rolled in with 0 mile range last night, plug it in, and 2 hours later it is more than half full (enough for me to go run an errand with mileage to spare).

Eric

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by viking79 View Post
    I love it! Why didn't I install this thing earlier? Rolled in with 0 mile range last night, plug it in, and 2 hours later it is more than half full (enough for me to go run an errand with mileage to spare).

Eric
    Yup, that's the same one I bought. Only difference is that I have a welder outlet in the garage so bought the plug-in version. Unit stays in garage, charge cable goes outside. Love the loud click because I can remote start with the key fob and just open door leading to the garage and when I hear the 'thunk' I know the remote start command was successful.

Quote Originally Posted by viking79 View Post

Eric
    I said the same thing about my Lev 2 charger. Yeah, its expensive, Yeah it doesn't make sense on spreadsheet, but its so worth it!
    Science today has been hijacked somewhat by people who put blind faith in the findings of some of the most politically vocal scientists. Science should be thoroughly and continually reviewed, debated, updated -- and contrarian views welcomed! Much of what passes for "science" today is not directly measurable by the "scientific method" but is instead a bed of assumptions based on more assumptions -- highly debatable.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text