Clipper Creek LCS-25 vs HCS-40
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Clipper Creek LCS-25 vs HCS-40

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    104

    Default Clipper Creek LCS-25 vs HCS-40

    Okay, so Ive had my 2012 Volt for 2.5 weeks and am already tired of pulling out the portable charge cord from my trunk to charge off an outlet on the exterior of my house.

    I am going to install a 240V hardwired charger to my house exterior and have narrowed down my options to either the Clipper Creek LCS-25 or the HCS-40.

    Any opinions on which to go with? Is it worth the extra money to go with the HCS-40 for the extra KWH and power?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Seaside, Oregon
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    I have the HCH-40 for well over 1 year. I believe it will charge up to 7.2 kwh, so it would be future proof in the event
    you buy another electric vehicle with 6.6 kwh or more charging capability. Its a nice unit and Clipper Creek has great customer service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    937

    Default

    I have the CC LCS-20 and have no problems with it. It is enough for the Volt Gen 2 so I have no reason to get something "bigger".
    My Volt Hidden Content
    2014 White Diamond, S1, Bose, Nav, Premium Pkg

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

  5. Advertisement

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axelvolt View Post
    Is it worth the extra money to go with the HCS-40 for the extra KWH and power?
    For a Volt, no. Volt only uses 13.75 amps according to WOT. I have an LCS-25 which is plenty more than enough. You could use an LCS-20 even.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axelvolt View Post
    Okay, so Ive had my 2012 Volt for 2.5 weeks and am already tired of pulling out the portable charge cord from my trunk to charge off an outlet on the exterior of my house.

    I am going to install a 240V hardwired charger to my house exterior and have narrowed down my options to either the Clipper Creek LCS-25 or the HCS-40.

    Any opinions on which to go with? Is it worth the extra money to go with the HCS-40 for the extra KWH and power?
    Here is the way to look at this. Most of us that have purchased an EREV will never go back to an ICE. Don't look at your purchase for just the Volt. Look at your purchase to serve ALL future cars until it fails. With this in mind, the HCS-40 is the better purchase for the little difference in money, and the hassle of upgrading in the future.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk72 View Post
    Look at your purchase to serve ALL future cars until it fails.
    All future cars?

    Which will give out first, the EVSE or the car?

    Will we be charging wireless when the next car is purchased?

    Not to pick on you alone, since we hear this a lot, but please tell me what my future is. Anyone?

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk72 View Post
    Here is the way to look at this. Most of us that have purchased an EREV will never go back to an ICE. Don't look at your purchase for just the Volt. Look at your purchase to serve ALL future cars until it fails. With this in mind, the HCS-40 is the better purchase for the little difference in money, and the hassle of upgrading in the future.
    You are somewhat right about it, but most of us buy a Volt to keep it long time. So, in 7-10 years, maybe the 6.6 or 7.2 kWh chargers will be obsolete and be forced to buy a new one. This is why I went the 15 amps route, cause my Volt doesn't need more.
    My Volt Hidden Content
    2014 White Diamond, S1, Bose, Nav, Premium Pkg

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post
    All future cars?

    Which will give out first, the EVSE or the car?

    Will we be charging wireless when the next car is purchased?

    Not to pick on you alone, since we hear this a lot, but please tell me what my future is. Anyone?
    Not to pick on you Dave, but sometimes you really come off too strong. Did you look at the difference in price between these two the OP is considering. Geez

  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post
    All future cars?

    "Will we be charging wireless when the next car is purchased? "
    Nonsense

    200 mile BEV are in the works; from the Asian market and hopefully GM - BOlt.
    Those will need faster than 3.3Kw charge.
    Lets revisit this question a year from now.
    I am sure my HCS-40 will last more than a year.
    Last edited by Even-Steven; 01-24-2015 at 01:45 PM.

  12. Advertisement

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk72 View Post
    Not to pick on you Dave, but sometimes you really come off too strong. Did you look at the difference in price between these two the OP is considering. Geez
    I also considered the cost difference in supplying a 40 amp unit. For some it's nominal and others like myself it isn't.

    The point is, no one knows what their future will be. You can only guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Even-Steven View Post
    Lets revisit this question a year from now.
    And 2 and 3 and 5......

    Quote Originally Posted by Even-Steven View Post
    I am sure my HCS-40 will last more than a year.
    I'll bet it lasts longer than that. And it'll still be overkill for your Volt if you keep it. It's overkill for a Gen 2 Volt too.

    I'm probably keeping my car for another 7 years. What more than an LCS-25 do I need? I don't even know that I'll be living in this house in 7 years.
    Last edited by Mister Dave; 01-24-2015 at 02:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Similar Threads

  1. New Clipper Creek LCS-20
    By Park2670 in forum Li-Ion Battery, Charging, & Battery Managment System - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-15-2015, 04:35 AM
  2. New Clipper Creek HCS 40 Level 2 / 7.2 KW
    By alfon in forum Li-Ion Battery, Charging, & Battery Managment System - Chevy Volt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
  3. What plug to use for the Clipper Creek LCS-25?
    By Darren Donovan in forum Chevy Volt Accessories and Modifications
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
  4. Clipper Creek LCS-25 or CS-40?
    By michael7692 in forum Generation 1 Volt (2011-2015)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
  5. Clipper Creek LCS-25 on Sale
    By MTN Ranger in forum Electric Vehicle Batteries & Plug-In Charging
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts