GM Volt Forum banner

help !!!!why it take 16hrs to full charge my new volt on 110

12K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  jomo25 
#1 ·
i am using 110 charger and no extension cord ! why it take 16 hrs ! i use the outlet in my building app not very Far: from the meter room building .................................................................... :mad:

#2 ·
The ESEV is probably set to 8 amps. There is a button to make it use 12 amps.

#3 ·
If you have an 2012 VOLT (or 2011) then you need to check the 110 charger and make sure 4 green lights are lit and not two. (4 lights full power, 2 lights half power). You can change it from four lights to two lights by pressing the button on the charger while the charger is plugged in to the wall but not plugged into the VOLT. If you have a 2013 model then it is a selection on the center display that does this, the 2013 defaults to half power (as I understand) and you select the charge level on the display.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Perhaps you're doing what I did the first two days I had my Volt - I'd get home at 2:00pm and my car wouldn't be fully charged until 6:00am the next morning. Why? Because my car was set to begin charging at 10:00pm instead of immediately. D'oh!

Of course, now that I have the 240V charger, the car only charges from 2:00am to 5:30am. If I have to go anywhere after 2:00pm, I just have to remember to set the car for immediate charging (or use some gas).

#6 ·
There is a button on the EVSE (the charger cable control) for the 2011 and 2012 model-year Volts. For the 2013 model, a setting on the center console inside the car (I believe using the Leaf button, then Charging selection) is available to switch to 12 amp charging, which will provide a faster charge rate of about 8 hours from a zero charge status. Also for the 2013 model, you might need to set it to 12 Amp charging each time you park, which can probably be quickly done right before you shut down the Volt. Someone else should be able to confirm if that's the case.

Why the default change to 8 Amp charging for the 2013 model year Chevy Volt? It's likely due to an abundance of caution on the part of Chevrolet.

#7 ·
MY2013 110V Time To Full Charge-Same As MY2011/My2012- With A Push Of The Leaf Button

I was waiting for the 1st newBe to post this... and here you are 007martin! There is no change in the 110V Charge time for the MY2013 Amazing Chevy Volt EREV with one caveat... The 12Amp 110V Charging must be activated by touching the center stack touch button on the Charging screen after you put the Volt into park but before you turn the car off. Simple two tap arrangement. Plan to do this like tying your shoe.

We had an extensive airing of this topic in another thread.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15192-Some-New-Stuff-For-2013

So, for your new My2013, lets review the steps again. Done with your drive..... 1) Put Volt into "P" ( Park )- 2) Set Parking Break- 3) Touch Leaf Button ( To the right of the steering wheel- Look, see the button wiht the leaf on it...)- 4) At the top of the screen- see the button that says "Charging"? Tap it! Now you can set the Volt Charging to 12Amp 110V- See Image Below-

https://p.twimg.com/Ax-e6BzCQAAiD1C.jpg:large

Martin, this is quicker then flipping a coin- Just like tying your shoe! : )

p.s. I am charging at work right now; 110V/12Amp.

Like 70% of the public, I drive less then 40 miles a day. While charging at home or at work my Amazing Chevy Volt EREV normally takes 3 to 5 hours for a full charge at 12 Amp 110V!

Loving it!

Since March 12, 2012 I have driven over 5,612 miles and used just 3 1/2 gallons of gas!

Best!

#10 ·
I was waiting for the 1st newBe to post this... and here you are 007martin! There is no change in the 110V Charge time for the MY2013 Amazing Chevy Volt EREV with one caveat... The 12Amp 110V Charging must be activated by touching the center stack touch button on the Charging screen after you put the Volt into park but before you turn the car off. Simple two tap arrangement. Plan to do this like tying your shoe.
So, does this need to be set each time you charge, or is it a once and done setting?

#9 ·
@ 007martin,

It definitely sounds like you have your charge cord set at 8 amps as opposed to 12 amps. Once you set it to 12, your charge time shouldn't take that long.

#12 ·
The 2011 and 2012 EVSEs (with a physical button on the EVSE unit) remember your setting. Mine also remembers if I switch off the power (my dedicated circuit is on an also-dedicated switch in case of thunderstorm).

However on the 2013s, from what I've read so far, you must switch from 8A to 12A using the center stack, each time you are going to charge. Kind of stupid, IMHO, if true. Gonna either get old reaaaal fast, or just become a habit. Depending on your personality :)

#15 · (Edited)
However on the 2013s, from what I've read so far, you must switch from 8A to 12A using the center stack, each time you are going to charge. Kind of stupid, IMHO, if true. Gonna either get old reaaaal fast, or just become a habit. Depending on your personality :)
I cannot imagine there is any truth to that -- where have you heard that? Unfortunately, GM doesn't have the 2013 manuals out yet.

[ADD: It is true (see later post); apologizes for doubting you!]

#13 ·
When new owner post with short questions we should try to stay on topic.

I find all the extra information interesting and am glad to be part of a group that is this kind to new Volt owners.

I does help if the poster has at least the model year of the Volt.

#16 ·
When new owner post with short questions we should try to stay on topic.
I'm amazed at how often this question comes up, and how many answers such a simple question gets. I saw the question, was about to reply, but saw that someone else did. These should really be a "1-2" -- someone asks the question, someone answers, and the thread disappears.

#17 ·
You can download the manual to your Iphone in pdf (or some other device). I read mine entirely before taking delivery while waiting in lines at Disney with the kids. Or at least most of it. I still look up something from time to time. Real handy. I took the manual out of the car.

#18 ·
It's been mentioned on a couple of forum threads about the 2013s (some even have photos of the new EVSE without the rubber amp-selection button, and showing fewer LEDs on it). I swear I also saw it in one of the front page stories, but cannot locate that.

Personally I hope it's actually a "sticky" selection but that's not what I'd read so far.

#19 ·
Found it. It was shown in a GM brochure that has since been pulled (apparently it was never intended for public viewing).

Read the first few posts of this thread to see what was said about it.

#20 ·
Wow. I really cannot believe that GM decided to change it so that by default it will take 15 hours to charge rather than 10. But that PDF definitely comes from GM, and makes it clear that 8A is the default.

I've used the 8A mode many times (because my electric outlet is not dedicated). I can understand defaulting to 8A (although I can't recall having heard of anyone tripping a circuit breaker). But forcing you to go through a 4-step process every time you leave the car seems crazy to me. Are they going to simply remove charging time from their website? Change it to "120V Charging time: 15 hours by default, but choosing 'Fast' mode will charge in just 10 hours!"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.