GM Volt Forum banner

2016 Chevy Volt Copy Cat

15K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Mister Dave 
#1 ·
Look familiar to anyone else?

TankerX

See less See more
#4 ·
It turns out every car has that basic curved shape to the roof these days. So truthfully, no, it doesn't look very similar beyond the fact that they both have four tires and modern aerodynamic styling that accompanies all sedans.

#5 · (Edited)
Both are blue, have at least two wheels, two seats, steering wheel, and an aerodynamic design?

Why don't you argue with the guy who swears the Volt copied the Dodge Dart, or the guy who says it looks like a Prius, or the guy who says it looks like a Corolla, or the guy who says it looks like a <insert car here>, and let us know what you all decide?

You all have a point, because there is some similarity in all cars within a certain bell-curve range of aesthetics that appeal to a broad range of people.

#8 ·
With aerodynamics playing a larger and larger part of vehicle fuel efficiency, I've had the thought for quite some time that cars will eventually get down to one basic shape much like modern commercial aircraft.

#17 ·
I think the Model S looks like a Ford Fusion. With the big smile with braces where the Volt's bumper should be, it will never be mistakable for any other car.

#29 ·
Me too. I was really hoping Aptera would make it to production. At least I got to sit in one for few minutes :[

#23 ·
I wonder if you'd notice any difference from let's say, a 1973 Chrysler Imperial and a same year cadillac...or from a 1938 Stu' / 1938 Ford F.

Cars always look similar. Most cars submit to certain universal design rules.

A Maybach is very similar to a Merc is very similar to a BMW 7 Series is very similar to an A8 is very similar to a Kia K900 and so on and so forth..

#28 · (Edited)
Yup, I think we have established that the styling is "mainstream". :)

I was hoping for something distinctive like this, which would fly out the door:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Formula libre Sports car

#30 · (Edited)
Yup, I think we have established that the styling is "mainstream". :)
What I think we've established is that there are lots of people with an underdeveloped visual aesthetic.

All I know is that if you're in traffic no one is going to try to cut in front of the Volt. Not happening. It's a simple game to play and kinda fun. Think of a car. Now imagine that you want to merge in traffic. Would you pick that car to cut in front of? :p We figured out this basic test when we got the Leaf. When you drive a luxury car people don't cut you off. So it came as a great shock to my wife that when she drove the Leaf everyone and their brother wanted to push her out of the way. And all this time she thought it was her personality!

#35 ·
the whole reason I bought a 2012 civic was for the interior.. until I learned how crappy the radio was even on the high end model.. (in 2012 if you boiught a leathered sunroofed sedan you didnt get a subwoofer... but if you bought a cloth coupe you did.. really??)..

the aircon in that car would barely push anything colder than 50 out the vents...
my 2012 Civic drove great, got excellent mileage and looked like a spaceship.. I really enjoyed the tech feel to it..
I bought the volt purely for the more refined spacey interior..
Gen 2 though loses that spaceship look.. no more front door 1/4 window, a much more boring dash.. yeah looks like an impala or some regular car.. so when I grow tired of my 2013 Gen 1 I'll have to find something different.. or maybe Honda got their issues together with the Civic and I'll get another one..
-Christopher

#33 ·
Sent to me by another forum member: It seems that a Motor Trend editor agrees....

This is hard to say because I've always liked the Volt and I'm impressed with all the technical updates to the car, but all I can see when I look at it is a 2012 Honda Civic. The headlights, the taillights, the grille -- it just doesn't work for me. I also miss some of the space-age feel they took out of the interior, even if it is more functional. The whole car just looks so dull to me now and less recognizable in a crowd, and I think it's a shame. -Scott Evans
http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/1501_motor_trends_coulda_woulda_shoulda_picks_from_2015_detroit_show/viewall.html

#36 ·
My Volt replaced a 2006 Civic. Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of similarity from the pictures or videos. Maybe in person it would be closer.

It has that cab-forward design with a high decklid. Pretty much every FWD compact car has that same shape now, save the Mazda 3 and the current gen Cruze. And the new Cruze will also have the same shape.

Bottom line is that there were few who praised the first gen Volt for its styling. So it may have lost its "distinctiveness," but it is altogether more attractive.

#37 ·
Car designer checklist:

1. Is the car a compact, mid-sized or full-sized model?
  2. Do you want the front fascia nose pointy, rounded, or pug nose?
  3. Do you want the windshield raked or more upright?
  4. Do you want a rear spoiler?
  5. Do you want fender wells that stick out, or are flush?
  6. Do you want a shoulder line crease that runs from back to front? If so do you want it straight or with a swoosh?
  7. Do you want a character line on the lower doors? If so do you want it straight or with a swoosh?
  8. Do you want a black rocker panel or body color?
  9. Do you want it styled for fuel efficiency or just for looks?
  10. Does it need to be mass produced or made by hand?

At the end of the day, similar choices for the above will result in similar profiles by car designers. There are only so many ways to combine these elements. That's probably why they spend so much time on lights, grills, door handles, instrument clusters, and interior styling, though even there there are limitations.

Automotive design Vehicle Car Mid-size car Font

In a similar way, today's smartphone has the same problem. Given the design criteria, it's hard to do something very different from a style perspective. So attention is paid to button size or location or exterior finish or materials.

#39 ·
Car designer checklist:

1. Is the car a compact, mid-sized or full-sized model?
  2. Do you want the front fascia nose pointy, rounded, or pug nose?
  3. Do you want the windshield raked or more upright?
  4. Do you want a rear spoiler?
  5. Do you want fender wells that stick out, or are flush?
  6. Do you want a shoulder line crease that runs from back to front? If so do you want it straight or with a swoosh?
  7. Do you want a character line on the lower doors? If so do you want it straight or with a swoosh?
  8. Do you want a black rocker panel or body color?
  9. Do you want it styled for fuel efficiency or just for looks?
  10. Does it need to be mass produced or made by hand?

At the end of the day, similar choices for the above will result in similar profiles by car designers. There are only so many ways to combine these elements. That's probably why they spend so much time on lights, grills, door handles, instrument clusters, and interior styling, though even there there are limitations.

View attachment 69673

In a similar way, today's smartphone has the same problem. Given the design criteria, it's hard to do something very different from a style perspective. So attention is paid to button size or location or exterior finish or materials.
Do people think the Gen 1 Volt is mainstream? Maybe I should ask if you think it is?

#38 ·
I guess ultimately the fact is civics and corollas sell by the millions no matter boring they may seem... same as iphones and S5's regardless of how 2007 they are people buy em by the millions..

the "out-there" designs seem to stay "out-there" forever on lots and store shelves..

lots of people are sheep i guess...
my guess is that the average Volt owner is more of a Not-so-average personality person.. so thus we want our cars to reflect that..

-Christopher

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.