GM Volt Forum banner

VOLT Steering Problem Class Action question

19K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Bill Step 
#1 ·
Attached FYI is a link to a PDF I downloaded showing the new class action lawsuit against GM (Volt steering system sticking on center, etc.)

Does anyone have an educated idea of what actually could be causing the problem? The suit itself is rather unclear, although there are a large number of people cited who complained of experiencing the problem.

I am worried because while I don't recall our Volt having sticking steering per se, there have been a few times where I have noticed an occasional odd feedback in the steering. Also, I have noticed, and regularly when the car is cold, a squeaking noise under the dash and inside the car when turning the wheel, especially when parking. I am worried this may be the start of something worse. My Volt is out of warranty and a rack replacement would be extremely costly without help from GM.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...6642&authkey=!AO4ZmExVETUONjQ&ithint=file,pdf

#3 ·
My Volt is out of warranty and a rack replacement would be extremely costly without help from GM.
You may want to check that you've received the special warranty extension for this issue. Login to OnStar.com and drill down to your warranty page to see if this one is in place.

Text Font Line Brand Rectangle

#6 ·
The 3 year 36K mile warrantee is the bumper to bumper portion. The powertrain is much longer, like with most vehicles.

#5 ·
Other GM models have received the same warranty extension.

From what I've seen the condition appears to occur from limited use of the steering range built into the vehicle. Cycling the steering thru more of its full range (parallel parking as opposed to freeway driving) and most likely you will never encounter any issue. Can't parallel park? Do a figure 8 in a parking lot once in a while. I'm thinking as the miles accumulate the less likely this condition will occur.

#7 ·
Also, I have noticed, and regularly when the car is cold, a squeaking noise under the dash and inside the car when turning the wheel, especially when parking.
Last time I looked under there I noticed a few u-joints from the steering column. Could be one of them is squeaking a bit when cold. Not sure what to do about it. I'd say WD40, but that might not be right.

#8 ·
I just got something in the mail from GM saying the steering rack's warranty has been extended and if I see the issue, bring it in and they'll replace the rack at no charge.

So far I haven't seen the issue crop up, and since the lease is up in about 8 months, hopefully Volt 2.0 will be readily available and perhaps they will have solved this issue in version 2.0

#9 ·
The press on the class action suggests it's 2011-2014 Volts affected, but we have had neither letter from GM or see the warranty noted in the Warranty page for our car at Onstar.com. Should we be concerned, or is the report of 2013-14 Volts potentially being affected erroneous?

#10 ·
Sure, let me explain how this works.

The lawyers make Millions.

You get a $5.00 credit on the purcahse of a new Gm product.

Those millions get past back to the consumer in the cost of the product.

Hip hip hurray for class action suits.

#12 ·
I heard it's a case of having to use two fingers to turn the wheel instead of one... Some people figure it may be related to the steering system helping the vehicle stay centered now of course if your alignment is off you would constantly be drifting so then it might be a pain..

In either case it sounds like people complaining for the sake of complaining and there is no real safety issue.

#13 ·
I heard it's a case of having to use two fingers to turn the wheel instead of one...
Sounds like a fun weekend!

#14 ·
No safety issue, more of a minor annoyance if anything. Might as well initiate a class action lawsuit about the popping noise the rear spoiler can sometimes make as it expands and contracts. I put it in that league. I had the steering issue and then it went away. I also get a letter from GM that extends my 2011 warranty for this.

#21 ·
No safety issue, more of a minor annoyance if anything.
Steverino, I'm puzzled by your "don't worry about it" POV. You know there are posts on the forum where owners have had their steering racks replaced (at substantial cost to GM and considerable inconvenience to the owner) only to have the problem recur. I experienced this for the first time last night on a 150 mile drive. Because of earlier posts here I recognized what it was. I'm much less sure of what to do. I'm not sure I've ever read of a permanent fix here so I'm not yet inclined to bring it in or to ask Katie O. for her kind assistance. The class action suit may not help me get it fixed but it may focus the maker's attention ($$) on something that seems to be more widespread than just the Volts.

The sensation may not be safety issue (it didn't feel like it) but it isn't the way it behaved previously, it isn't working properly, and I didn't enjoy having to be reminded of a sticky steering sensation every few seconds for about 50 miles.

So what is the collective wisdom here?

#15 ·
Interestingly, i noticed that phenomenon on my last 750 mile round trip.
About a half way there, the steering would "stick" in one position. Each "correction" one typically makes at highway speeds due to road surface changes, wind etc. felt seriously odd. I was concern at first, then attributed it to outside temperature gradually getting colder and the fact that it was a straight line driving ( someone here mentioned that prolonged driving at highway speeds may cause that )

Either way - i feel this is a serious problem and should be addressed. From a mechanical stand point it can not be a good or normal behavior.

#18 ·
It took enough effort to make the driving experience slightly erratic - the steering would "jump" enough, a correction was needed every time. I got used to it after a while,

#17 ·
I wonder what the fix is, has anyone had the fix installed, did it work?

I have noticed the problem occosinaly mostly on long trips when for a fraction of a second it takes a little more effort to turn the wheel, while very noticable it is more of an issue of being startled by the issue then being a serious problem turning the wheel.

#20 ·
Originally Posted by marlowI wonder what the fix is, has anyone had the fix installed, did it work?

I have noticed the problem occosinaly mostly on long trips when for a fraction of a second it takes a little more effort to turn the wheel, while very noticable it is more of an issue of being startled by the issue then being a serious problem turning the wheel.
Hello marlow,

I can understand how concerning this must be. Even though this has been an intermittent issue, please let me know if you're interested in having the dealership take a look at the vehicle.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#26 ·
Taking my volt in this week for this problem.

I will be on my 3rd replacement.
Issue has been fixed twice, only to return. First time I went 20k miles before returning, more recently it returned after 1 month. Have had rack, gearbox replaced, and reprogrammed twice.

The issue has progressed to the point that I am zig-zaging while trying to maintain a straight path - jutting left and right during corrections.

Very irritating, embarrassing and inconvenient.

#27 ·
Taking my volt in this week for this problem.

I will be on my 3rd replacement.
Issue has been fixed twice, only to return. First time I went 20k miles before returning, more recently it returned after 1 month. Have had rack, gearbox replaced, and reprogrammed twice.

The issue has progressed to the point that I am zig-zaging while trying to maintain a straight path - jutting left and right during corrections.

Very irritating, embarrassing and inconvenient.

What was the date of your last replacement? I wonder if they are still replacing with faulty racks?

#32 · (Edited)
Could it be that no one knows exactly why this is happening and that all of these "fixes" just treat symptoms? I would like to know exactly what design and programming changes have been done to address it.

Now that I'm in the group that gets to worry about it, the class action seems more helpful than it did before.

EDIT: It's just been confirmed that my '14 Volt doesn't have the extended warranty for this. That must mean I have the new programming "fix." You can imagine how I feel about it now that I've experienced the problem.

#33 ·
My dealer service department is awesome. I just made an appointment with no questions asked. All I did was tell them the campaign number, and that I'd like to have the reprogram update to the power steering control module. My appointment is all set.

#38 ·
On my second Volt now... My 2012 had a hint of the issue that disappeared by it's self. My 2014 Volt steers just fine. (Lucky me.)

I have a hard time believing that someone has had three steering racks replaced and still has the problem. Makes me think it's bent tie rod or some other undiagnosed problem that has nothing to do with the steering rack. I think many of these issues are simply mis diagnosed by the dealerships.

#39 · (Edited)
Interesting read:
http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...steering-defect-class-action-lawsuit-alleges/

“when class members present to GM’s authorized dealerships complaining of the steering defect, the dealerships recommend repairs such as replacing the steering rack or steering gear assembly. However, these repairs only temporarily mask the problem.”

"Alleging that GM violated the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, this lawsuit boils down to a breach of warranty of merchantability, express warranty and common law fraud."

“Complaints that consumers filed with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and posted in discussion forums demonstrate that the defect is widespread and dangerous and that it manifests without warning,”

Judges of case number 2:14-cv-07924 will tell in a matter of months if GM knew or should’ve known about the alleged fault with the steering system, but continued to sell or lease the aforementioned model. To boot, replacing a defective steering with a similar rack isn’t a real solution to the freezing of the wheel, innit??

#40 ·
Yup, mean old GM "shifted the burden".

So who did they shift the "burden" to? To themselves by extending the warranty to 10 years, 100k miles. Like the free battery tunnel upgrade on 2011 models, this action by GM is so outrageous I will very likely buy another EV from them in 2016. :)

#42 ·
I mislead no one.

My experiences, and continued issues are as real as GM's extended coverage for remedy to this specific issue.

While GM has yet to provide me a proper fix, I remain optimistic. I am not the first to require more than 3 repair visits for this.

#43 ·
I didn't think so, which is why I attempted to redirect the dismissives. I'm taking mine in for the software update whether I need it or not. I don't want to hear about it after my wife experiences it at 70 MPH. Will it fix anything? I have no idea, but it makes no sense to dismiss it. That would be about as smart as ignoring the ignition key thing on a recalled car just because mine hasn't shut off yet.

#48 ·
well I have 10,600 miles on mine and noticed this problem 3-4 weeks ago.While I was at the dealership,I complained about what was happening(Clay Chevrolet of Norwood) and they looked at me like I had 2 heads.Well now I'm gonna go armed w/ this info and have them reprogram my car and hope it works.I'll report back.
Will I buy another,,oh yeah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.