GM Volt Forum banner

All 2013 Volts Not Shipping - On Quality Hold

19K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  petefoss 
#1 ·
Those of you who have your 2013 already built and shipped, can you check your status on Chevy Order Tracking and see if yours has moved back to Production Complete. This website is going to be more accurate than the others and post your results.

On July 11th, the Chevy Order Tracking website has moved my Volts progress backwards from Shipped to Production Complete.

I just called the Volt Advisor Team and it's confirmed - MY VOLT IS STILL AT THE PLANT. I was told there was no scheduled shipping date and the Volt is on a Quality Hold. I asked if this was the case for just my Volt or all 2013 Volts and I was told most likely it would be all 2013 models.

If you have not been following the 2013 ordering / shipping threads, here is a recap. My 2013 Volt was built on June 7, 2012 along with around 238 from June 6 & 7, 2012. The Hamramck Plant closed for 3 weeks during the summer as a regularly scheduled break. They re-opened on July 2nd and my Volt was advanced to Shipped / En Route on July 5th. On July 9th, the updates stated that my Volt left the plant property and the dealer was invoiced. I went to my dealer on July 10th to work out the finacing (0.9%) and I was given an estimated delivery date of July 20th + or -. On July 11th, the Chevy Order Tracking website has moved my Volts progress backwards from Shipped to Production Complete.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not surprised, in a thread last month, it was mentioned all 2012 left on the line at the shutdown and all 2013 were going to go thru a second QC check. I had posted mid August at the earliest for 2013's based on this. It likely nothing new, just that the status system wasn't following the factory flow on the ground.

GM does this at restart and new model, same was done last year for the 2012's I believe

#3 ·
The two 2013 Volt Orders I'm tracking: #100414 Status 4150 Invoiced to Dealer (09Jul12) and 2013 Volt #100748 Status 4B00 Bayed for Shipping (05Jul12) <this one is going to be My Little Red Pal - both haven't changed backwards since their last update yet - the Volt Advisor Ian eMailed a couple hours ago to say that the Car was on a QC Hold though. I was seeking Carrier Tracking Numbers for Rail / Truck Transport to Rochester, NY.

#4 ·
My status was updated on 7/11 from the 4150 Dealer Invoiced code to another 4B00 (Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.). I'm HOPING that means they just checked it again in preparation to actually ship it out.
And I think there may have been partial confusion because I have heard that sometimes the vehicles "leave the plant" by moving to the other side of a fence, but they actually haven't actually gone anywhere productive.
Let's all pray that our Volts get shipped soon!!!
(2013 VIN#197)

#8 ·
My 2011 status changed like that too. It was here, bayed there, then here again, etc. My understanding is the status does not always reflect where the car is physically located. Sometimes these are system inputs and adjustments that are too fine grained to relate to actual physical movement. You know what they say about a watched pot...

#9 ·
Your posting about delays and disappointment bring back memories to our first batchs to come off the line at the end of 2010. It's the delivery delays that were the most gut wrenching. And yes, we had those two week QC delays too ! Good luck to you all and enjoy the new cars soon ...hard to believe the 2013's are almost here !

#10 ·
I don't think it is unusual to have several 4B00 codes. There are a few shipment transfers that occur to get from the plant to the dealer. I remember the delivery anxiety very clearly. The worst was knowing that the last shipment was to the main Mid-Atlantic drop off point in Annapolis MD, which is close to my house but still took almost a week to get to the dealer.

Here is my history for a point of reference. I hope it helps. The bottom line is you will love your Volt!

03/12/2012 (2000) Order accepted by GM. Dealer used allocation to place order into production.
03/13/2012 (2500) Order preferenced. Order pulled to the production system.
03/13/2012 (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
04/12/2012 (3100) Order available to sequence.
04/12/2012 (3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.
04/13/2012 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
05/01/2012 (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. For Cadillac, GMC and Buick customers, please contact your dealer or customer service for further updates as no further updates available at this time.
05/01/2012 (4000) Vehicle available to ship.
05/01/2012 (4150) Invoiced (order is invoiced to the dealer).
05/01/2012 (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.
05/07/2012 (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.
05/08/2012 (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
05/08/2012 (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.
05/08/2012 (4300) Interm transfer. Processing transfer to QC or vendor.
05/13/2012 (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
05/17/2012 (4800) Rail ramp unload. Vehicle has been unloaded from train.
05/17/2012 (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.
05/18/2012 (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
05/19/2012 (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
05/22/2012 (6000) Vehicle delivered to customer or dealer has completed customer paperwork.

#11 ·
Thanks for the encouraging replies

On my order history I do not see 4200 (shipped) so I took the 4106 as being shipped. Either way, the Volt is still at Hamtramck and at least they are doing a 2nd quality control check. Thats a bonus, ensuring my Volts top notch and ready to roll.

06/07/2012
(3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. For Cadillac, GMC and Buick customers, please contact your dealer or customer service for further updates as no further updates available at this time.

07/05/2012
(4000) Vehicle available to ship.

07/05/2012
(4104) Bailment invoice created (vehicle is about to leave plant property).

07/05/2012
(4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.

07/09/2012
(4106) Bailment released (vehicle has left plant property).

07/09/2012
(4150) Invoiced (order is invoiced to the dealer).

#15 ·
By the way, who is responsible for the GMConnects order tracking site? I can't believe its been 2 days now that it's been entirely down. If you google GMConnects Down, you see other forums stating the same, that the site is down. Is this normal, that the sites down for a few days?

#17 ·
We all remember the LONG wait for the shipping part of our order tracking. We also learned more than we expected about rail yards and trains.

BUT one day GM is going to activate that onstar system BEFORE shipping it to US ;-))

#18 · (Edited)
Darn-it! I guess either the QC Lot is First-In Last-Out or my 2013 Volt #100748 failed QC. I'm into my 4th week since Build Complete Status (4000). Oh, dear, . . . Life is good! Although I've been there on tenterhooks for each of my five wonderful children as my wife entered Labor I never get used to the unpredictable agonizing wait. But wait we must. Now, not much different than waiting to settle my fears over the birth of a child, I now wait and wonder about the cause for the delay - I couldn't help but notice that the OP (2013 Volt) above both of our cars went Status (4100) on the same day my Volt #100748 hasn't "Left Plant Property" yet. I'm only 6Hrs Drive from the Hamtramck Plant in Michigan (we live in Upstate NY) and I feel like I want to go and see what's wrong as nobody can get me a Status Update other than - Just "Wait-N-See" - Everything will be OK - I was hoping to schedule a 2 week vacation with the Volt while the New Car Smell was at its peek. Now after Cooking in the Very Hot Summer Sun for nearly a Month that peek will have past. Oh, well. No Problem. I just hope it doesn't smell like the Repair Bay Sweaty Garage Odor so typical of cars that have had extensive repairs - I had hoped that the mileage on-delivery would be very very low - but . . . so many 'What If' Scenarios fly past me that I'm exhausted. Good Night! I'll sleep this one off too . . . <grin>.

05/24/2012(1100) Order placed at dealership. Order passed GM edit tables but dealer has not received allocation to place order.
05/24/2012(1102) Order entered via web.
05/29/2012(2000) Order accepted by GM. Dealer used allocation to place order into production.
05/29/2012(2500) Order preferenced. Order pulled to the production system.
05/29/2012(3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
06/01/2012(1102) Order entered via web.
06/01/2012(3100) Order available to sequence.
06/01/2012(3300) Order scheduled for production. Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle.
06/01/2012(3100) Order available to sequence.
06/01/2012(3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
07/05/2012(3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. For Cadillac, GMC and Buick customers, please contact your dealer or customer service for further updates as no further updates available at this time.
07/05/2012(4000) Vehicle available to ship.
07/05/2012(4104) Bailment invoice created (vehicle is about to leave plant property).
07/05/2012(4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.
07/12/2012(4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm waiting for 2013 (VIN MY I'd: D) Volt #100748 (last 5 of VIN) - if yours has a VIN can you share it? I've seen VINs higher than mine that have delivered. I'm guessing the QC Lot is First-In/Last-Out or mine missed the last Train bound for my TownHome or My Volt failed QC. There are lots of variables that introduce delay variations. It kinda fills the Wait-Time sharing info and reading-up on all of the New-n-Unique Aspects of the Volt. Also, almost more important (wink) than the Volt is the Community of Wonderful Folks that Build Components, Final Assembly, Engineer, Manage, and Envision the Volt based on Our Customer Requirements we share here and elsewhere. The Volt Owner Community I have found to be Refreshingly Intelligent, Tollerant, Creative, Very Helpful, Articulate, and so much more than I expected.

I got bored and took a Saturday drive: (my dealer has 2013 Volt #100414) and I gave it a quick close inspection. If I was QC I'd have marked it for QC Hold because it has a 2mmX3mm silver fleck embedded in the middle of a Body Panel. I was too careful not to rub it but was able to see the fleck was under or in the clearcoat.

#23 ·
My VIN is #2653 and has been in qc since 7/17. When I look at other people's posts with gmconnects.com results from the past, it usually took only a couple day to be shipped after it was produced. My guess is there is something either wrong with some of the new stuff on the 2013s or they changed the qc to check problems that they have had in the past.

#24 ·
@AZVolt - OMG! Your 2013 Volt #2653. Mine was built 05Jul. What day did yours go 'Build Complete'?

I know this Build Info / Tracking Data has to be a Risky Practice for GM. When Folks like you and I see delays that others don't and we don't get Fact-Based Answers it can be troublesome to the New Owner to 'Fill-In the Blanks' epecially later should an issue with the car arise. I'd prefer full disclosure of my Volt's history. I know they keep logs on each Volt. For some the Volt is a bit of a Reach in several ways; Financial, Early Adopter, Socially Different, etc and some like the reassurance of Full Disclosure and Complete Detailed Documentation.

#25 ·
Just received confirmation from my VA that my Volt (with nav) has been built and is now officially #104290! Now the long wait for delivery :)

#26 ·
Quality Hold

My 2013 Volt D 02255 was built 7/17 and has been on quality hold since then. I agree it is extremely frustrating not having more detailed information.

#27 · (Edited)
My 2013 Volt D 02255 was built 7/17 and has been on quality hold since then. I agree it is extremely frustrating not having more detailed information.
I'd be guessing you too have the NAV Option? The Nav+MyLink is NEW for 2013s. In the past NAV w/o MyLink must have been easier to QC/Debug. I'm thinking that once they finish the QC/Pass for the Volts w/NAV our Volts will Exit QC Lock-Down. Perhaps we can coax someone to to offer us some cool Volt stuff for the first Volt+NAV Owners that have waited so patiently while they figured out how to get Our Precious New Volts to Pass QC. There are some cool things in the Volt Merchandise Collection that would make great "Thank you for your Patience" gifts. I'm not say'n I'm just say'n "Its been painful waiting" while others behind us in-line got their Volts ahead of us.

#28 ·
I ordered every option available, including Nav, leather, Safety 1 and 2 and Bose audio.

#29 ·
We did too. Including Premium Trim, Cover, Sun Screen, etc. We're stuck wait'n wwhile they figure out how to get 'em to Pass QC. Idkd likee the "Volt Welcome Kit; HC Book, Hat, 2013 Deluxe Brochure" along with the Volt Tire Gauge Kit. The Volt Thumb Drive is OK but too common and too small (justt 2G). . . . Yea, I know . . . Keep Dream'n - And I certainly will cuz its a good way to pass the time wait'n. (grin)

#30 ·
I emailed the Volt Advisors today to check the status of mine. It should be built this week!! I know it will still be a while but at least now I know where in the process it is. I agree, we need more detailed tracking than what's on Chevy's site. Hopefully by the time mine is built the QC hold will be over and it won't take that long to go through QC. I got everything except Safety Package 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.