GM Volt Forum banner

Chargepoint CT500 now available for purchase $2495

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MTN Ranger 
#1 ·
The chargepoint america deal appears to be done (though they haven't put out a press release yet saying they've installed all of the free stations). So the CT500 is now available to order through SPX. And it'll only cost you $2495 :eek:

https://homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=8&menu=15

Doesn't seem like you're getting much compared to the other charges at less than half the price.

#2 ·
At that price, I would wait for the upcoming wireless EVSE systems that are around the same price. Plugless Power is coming out in December.

#3 ·
This is what I'm waiting for, I'm in no hurry as the OEM 120V charger has served ALL my needs so far (3+ months and 3400 miles).

Good things come to those who wait is my belief.

#4 · (Edited)
How will plugless power feed the Volt's OnBoard Charge Module? Is GM authorizing a modification?

The Volt monitors the charge port door. Will the OBCM operate with the charge port door closed?

The OBCM is in the right front of the engine compartment, far from the charge port, so there is a cable to tap, but is there a risk of confusing the software if the driver starts the Volt and drives off during charging?

Ideally, the plugless power system will be sold and supported as a GM after-market dealer accessory.

As for the $2495 CT-500, the extra cost covers remote monitoring by DOE for statistical purposes. If they don't want to pay, there are much less expensive units around. Just be sure it supports 6.6KW charging for your next EV.

#6 · (Edited)
Plugless Power has a component that is installed on the Volt that connects to the onboard charger - the Volt sees it as a J1772 connection. Of course the system will not allow the wireless and chargeport connectors to be used at the same time - so the chargeport connector will be disabled when the wireless system is charging. I haven't seen how exactly it is connected, but the company has this all taken into account. They are working with GM, Nissan and other OEMs for a while now.

Sears will be doing the installations for Volts and Leafs. At some point GM will offer a wireless option from the factory - this will be a better solution in that it will be even more efficient than the aftermarket version.

http://www.pluglesspower.com/partners/

#5 ·
When I contacted SPX the Coulomb Technologies CT-500 (ChargePoint) EVSE was available to me at no cost. It was Free because I was in an area that qualified for the FREE DOE grant program. Some people may not live in an area that qualifies for the DOE grant so they would have to purchase the CT-500. The CT 500 is a very nicely constructed unit. It also has some features built in that you might not actually need.

Contrary to what people may believe the CT-500 is not made by ChargePoint. The CT-500 is manufactured by the parent company Coulomb Technologies. ChargePoint is the network and billing company. It's sort of like the CT-500 is an iPhone and you can buy it for the AT&T, Verizon or Sprint network. If you look at the specification sheet for the CT-500 it's actually available in several model variations.

See: http://www.coulombtech.com/files/CT500-Data-Sheet.pdf

If you look at the last page you can order the CT-500 with many different communication options.

CT503-CDMA-RFID-ZIG has CDMA Gateway Modem, RFID Card Reader, and LAN.

CT503-GPRS-SIM1 has GPRS Gateway Modem, and USA GPRS SIM

CT503-RFID-ZIG-EW5RFIDZIG has Card Reader, wired LAN, and 5 year extended parts warranty

I think you can also get a basic CT503 without ANY communication options.

I believe the model that SPX is offering is the CT503-GPRS-SIM1. This means the unit has a GPRS Gateway Modem, and USA GPRS SIM for communication on the ChargePoint network. It has this option to comply with the free DOE grant program. If you could order the basic CT503 without any communication options it might be less expensive. Unfortunately it appears that SPX may only be allowed to sell the one with full communication features... Which prices the Coulomb EVSE out of the market for most people who are looking for a basic L2 charger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.