The Heat Sure Cut My Range...
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: The Heat Sure Cut My Range...

Default The Heat Sure Cut My Range...

I'd been getting 43+ miles on battery since I got my Volt.

It's been in the high 90's, and I'm using air-conditioning and still driving the same speed...and my mileage has dropped to 32-33! I didn't realize the air-conditioning sucks up that much power.

That's quite a hit. On hotter days we usually spend about 3-5 miles on AC. I say spend because it's so worth it When only one person is in the car we'll only spend a minute or two on Comfort before switching to Eco. With a fully loaded car we usually spend the first 5 minutes on Comfort, switch to Eco and occasionally switch back to Comfort for a few minutes.
    Cyber Gray Metallic VOLT
    Gasoline is for suckers

Dan & Nan - Lowering gas prices since March of 2012

Been over 100 here and I only use ECO and AUTO fan. I've only noticed 3ish miles extra being used. I used the blue/red arrows to adjust the temp. 73-75 will essentially adjust the fan speed. I point 3 vents toward myself and close the forth. I have a post/thread with pictures of this but simple to understand and *very* effective.

Advertisement

Me too.

It's been in the 110's here in Phoenix, and I'm down to about 35 miles range.

This is not bad though. My AC and TMS are running all the time in this weather....

Losing power for a week cut into my EV mileage a bit..... Good thing I had the ICE to fall back on, although waiting in line to buy gas is something I hadn't done for more than 40 years.

I'm very grateful to all the power company linemen from as far away as North Dakota who have come to help restore our electric network. Yesterday I passed a long convoy of bucket trucks with "Kansas City Power and Light" logos on the side. At one time, over 350,000 addresses were without power here in the Mountain State. As of 8 PM tonight there are still over 100,000 without power.

Also see a big reduction in miles. At night when the temperature drops the milage goes back to normal (45 miles per charge) but during the day if its 100 degrees, I run the fan on HI in comfort mode, and get about 30.
    Volt # 2262, picked up on Earth Day 2011. GO VOLT! LOVE THIS CAR!

WVhybrid- we finished up our storm repairs last Monday (Duke Energy), we had crews from all over helping us. KCPand L was one of them in my staging area . So those boys have been away from home repairing storms since last Friday the 29th. My personal best was 18 days in Louisiana when I was still working as a lineman, many contract companies may work 6 months at a time out of town. They should be able to put a hefty down payment on a new Volt when they get home.

Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    Losing power for a week cut into my EV mileage a bit..... Good thing I had the ICE to fall back on, although waiting in line to buy gas is something I hadn't done for more than 40 years.

I'm very grateful to all the power company linemen from as far away as North Dakota who have come to help restore our electric network. Yesterday I passed a long convoy of bucket trucks with "Kansas City Power and Light" logos on the side. At one time, over 350,000 addresses were without power here in the Mountain State. As of 8 PM tonight there are still over 100,000 without power.

Yesterday with the temps above 100, I dropped down to about 38 miles. I really impressed how effortlessly the Volt takes the high temps and a/c. My last car, you could feel it stress the engine.
    MY2012 VIN #C-3879 - My Voltstats

I get far better mileage than I have seen reported. On Ev mode, I can get 57 miles, and in gasoline mode 49 mpg at 65 mph on the (rather hilly) Interstate. I am a smooth driver, and the 57 miles in EV mode was at speeds less than 60 mph.

Advertisement

I've needed to run errands over the long holiday in triple digit temps and yes my battery mileage has dropped from a daily average of 43 miles to 35. Granted when I say triple digit temp's I'm talking about temps in the 105 to 110 and having to park the Volt outside in the sun vs garaged between errands as is usually the case with my life style, has taken a big chuck out of my all electric range.

Understand our average temps this time of year in St Louis is about 94 degrees and we've just had 8 straight days of TRIPLE DIGIT temps so this is most likely worst case for many folks.

Last evenin I went out to the garage to check the garage doors and the Volts TMS was running. The temp inside my garage was 98 degrees. That's how far the heat has permeated into our house and tha was after sunset last night.
    Last edited by BAZINGA; 07-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    2012 Crystal Red Volt (wife's)
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast